I thought detonics were gone....

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Gojubrian, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Guess not!! Nemesis : Detonics

I'm not sure if they are ugly OR sexy.....:confused:

Anyone have info on these?

2. jeepcreep927

jeepcreep927 New Member

I thought they went out business sometime in the early 90's? Guess not.

I remember looking at the Combat Master and I thought there was another model called the Safari or something. Were they the ones with the funky finger shelf thingy as part of the frame on the front strap?

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The name was purchased lately. I have not seen any to be able to have an opinion yet, but the older ones were okay.

4. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

Safari Arms 1911 frame with the finger thing is part of Olympic Arms...that's a clue as to quality !

Detonics made in Bellevue, Washington were first class 1911's.

New Detonics and it's other ownership were remnats of the old designs made as cheaply as possible and way over priced compared to today's 1911 offerings.

You just cant cut quality and raise the price....shooters figured it out.

Detonics original designed "Sid" had some innovative ideas in the pistols that were never modernized.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

the original company was more about selling an image than making good guns. thats why they tanked. it was all hype little substance.

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I think J.D. will be ALL OVER these!!

Attached Files:

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I kind of like the look of the gun, but until I can take one apart and see how well it's made, I am not going to be rushing out to purchase one. :eek:

I do like the grips on that 5" though, those look kinda of cool and I do like the name Nemisis ( plus 14+1 is a good thing in .45 ACP - IF your hand can wrap it). :p

JD

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Undercut for better grip-check
    Cerakote finish-check
    Steel and more steel -check

I like it,alot. :cool:

Did anyone notice the barrel? They aren't round. Looks like a weapon the transformers carry.

http://detonics.ws/innovations/oss/ This explains the octagonal sighting system.

I wonder how much $$$

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The original Detonics were actually very good guns. But when Colt introduced the Government and Officer's Models in Stainless it sunk Detonics. No possible way to compete with the big budget of Colt. The Score Master and Combat Master had bushingless coned barrels almost 30 years ago. Combat Masters were the original compact .45. 35 years later many are still going strong, and every one I see is in decent shape. I've owned several and all were great. The Score Master was the Nighthawk of it's day. I carried a Service Master for a couple of years and never broke a part, or had a malfunction.

After the original Detonics went belly up, Robbie Barkman (Robar) became the operations manager for the new owner, and they started making the New Detonics pistols. The early ones followed in the footsteps of the original Detonics.

They have re-emerged a couple more times since then, and if well funded will probably do just fine this time.

Detonics had some really innovative 8 rd mags with round followers several years before Metalform came out with their excellent mags. I still have several of the original Detonics mags, and they work as well now as they did when I got them 24 years ago. Back then they were $40each.

I will keep an eye on Detonics in their new iteration. They could be quite good.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It looks Austrian, I'm not convinced yet. I see they stretched the sight radius back to normal and did away with that stupid hammer/thumb clearance machining.

2009 Detonics SHOT Show Brochure

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Detonics DTX

11. fixxer

fixxer New Member

Hey Goju B. I think that bottom Combat Master HT peice is DEAD sexy! I love everything about that pistol. The sights are kinda Novek, which I like in a carry peice. It's got sort of a melt-down meets Stealth Fighter look. I love the finish. I NEED one. I need it now. Wonder if those things will be dependable? $1850.00 MSRP? OUCH!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011