I think I want to buy this

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Flat Tire, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Grizzly has been around for many years and has a very good reputation. my brother has bought several things for his lathe from them and it wasn't junk, but their stuff isn't cheap either. send them an email and have them send you a catalog.

3. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

I have a computer and I think everything in the catalog is online. I guess my question is more of, when looking at lathes the Grizzly is way cheaper than a South Bend. How much difference is there between the two? I don't want to just throw money away. The price is almost four times that of the Grizzly.

SB1039 South Bend 14" x 40" 16 Speed Lathe 220V

4. Creekside_Sports

Creekside_Sports New Member

Southbend is a name that you can't go wrong with. If you need a lathe now and can't afford a Southbend buy a Grizzly. The biggest question you need to ask yourself is will you be doing this for a hobby or as a career?

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Many of us old timers dream of a fancy new lathe like that. Overall I've heard good things about them.

6. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

Will each machine produce the same part ?

7. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

So, is it that big of a dream ? It seems cheap, a few good jobs and it is paid for. Credit cards are offering 18 months 0% on first purchase. $1000 down and $200 a month. You could probably make that turning brake rotors

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

They are made in China under company supervision. Quality control is the key for anyone mfg in China.

9. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

So-------- what does that mean? Some chinese products are good some are not. Are these machines any good ?

10. roscoguy

roscoguy New Member

The only way to be absolutely sure is to pay for one, have it shipped to my house & stay tuned for my exhaustive, comprehensive evaluation. :D
    Seriously, I have no experience with Grizzly lathes, but can echo what others have said: in general, their machines are good quality. Not great, but serviceable if you don't demand top-drawer. As with most things, there are some trade-offs to buying 'bargain' brands.

11. Creekside_Sports

Yes, each machine will produce the same part. But let me out it this way. If you were an auto mechanic would you be using Snap-On, Mac, Matco or would you go down to your local hardware store and buy whatever tools they had on special that week? Buy what you can afford when you can and upgrade later.

12. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

As a businessman you have to weigh each purchase as cost vs return. When I was gunsmithing the tools I bought(and thought about buying) were almost endless. Just because you have a high credit limit does not mean you should max it out. I don't know what you will use the machine for, business or personal use and what your abilities are but you have to make the reasonable decision based on cost vs return. I've heard a lot about the Grizzly products and most everyone seems to get by fine with them. That doesn't mean that these same machinists don't drool over more expensive machines.

13. aandabooks

aandabooks Active Member

It will get you by for light machining and gunsmithing. The machine will be tight since it is brand new. It won't be to South Bend or Clausing quality but it should work at a fraction of the cost.

A lot of the quality will depend on what you are willing to spend on tooling. Don't go cheap on the accessories and the machine should produce a good cut.

I run a high school machine shop that is stocked with Enco lathes. We have 8 of them and all the cutting on them is done with HSS bits that I resharpen. Sometimes I am amazed at the quality that can be produced on a cheaper lathe. When not done properly, the work that they produce would not pass muster anywhere.

14. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

Where would I find a nice used one ?

15. Creekside_Sports

A good source to start is with your local machine shop and see if they have any leads another but not so reliable source is Craigslist. Have to be real careful and do your homework so you don't get the short stick.

16. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

Creekside, I am in Idaho, we don't even have paved roads. There is nothing local. It will have to be shipped in. And everyones reaction will be, what is that thing and what are you gunna do with it ?

17. Creekside_Sports

I know how that goes, if you have a shop that does brakes talk to the guy who runs the brake lathe. Otherwise check CL I had a Southbend lathe with a 60 inch bed pop up an hour from my house just yesterday and the guy only wanted $800 for it. Had everything except for the motor and those are easy to come by.

18. regload

regload Member

First, you should get some instruction on using a lathe. After you know how to cut threads (without tap or die), grind your own tool bits, set up parts for machining, and what kinds of operation a lathe is useless for, you will know enough about what lathe to buy. Unless you have a lot of extra money lying around you don't need and are willing to take a chance buying something you'll never use. I was a machinist for more than 30 years, and everything I know was OJT.