I think I need a new rifle

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by markerdown, Jul 15, 2009.

1. markerdown

markerdown New Member

I'm just a mouseclick away from ordering a Lyman Great Plains rifle in .54.

I 've always wanted one and I've been watching the prices steadily climb over the years. I have a T/C hawken in .50 but the lyman is just one of those rifles that was always on my wish list.

Somebody want to talk me outta this?? It's 112* outside, I think I got the summer cabin fever blues ;).............markerdown

2. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I've always wanted one also, so I won't try to talk you out of it! Unfortunately if I buy one now, it will cost me $410 (the kit is $321). The Deerstalker and Trade Rifle are $279. These prices are almost twice what they used to cost when CVA was still making sidelocks. I already have 2 .50's and a .58, so my next purchase will be the Traditions Crockett Rifle in .32 cal. It costs $443...but there's something comforting about having a gun that you can make the bullets and powder for if the SHTF.

3. markerdown

markerdown New Member

I found it for $419 at Impact. Where did you find one for $410?

I'm wanting one real bad.....the mouse click is evil, the mouse click is evil..................markerdown

4. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

Markerdown:

Of course you need that new rifle! Any excuse will do. Seriously, I love my new .54 Hawken, and my next rifle purchase will be a flintlock, after I buy my LaPage percussion dueling pistol. BP is so much fun, I hardly shoot anything else these days.

TXnorton

5. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

http://MidsouthShootersSupply.com It's where I buy everything.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  6. markerdown

markerdown New Member

I just checked midsouth and they list it in percussion for $442.01. Is there a sale page I'm not looking at? The cheapest I could find so far is Impact.

I may be able to get one thru the BX. AAFEES at the local AFB are getting ready to sell firearms (rifles and handguns) and ammo. The display cases/counter are all set up, they just need the merchandise. Whatta deal!

I got GAS (Gun Aquisition Syndrome) real bad and got cash in hand. don't know how much longer I can wait, I think its terminal :D ...........................markerdown

7. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

The price I quoted is out of the Midsouth 2009 Master catalog which they sent me in February. They only put out one catalog per year. Maybe they changed their prices...:( Do you have a link for Impact? I'd like to check their prices for reloading gear.

8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

You need that GPR real bad.:D:D It's the closest you can get to a real Hawken from a reasonably priced production gun.

9. markerdown

markerdown New Member

Done deal!

Unfortunetly my GPR is now on backorder..doh!!! That's ok, I can wait.

:D..................markerdown

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  10. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

That's a neat site Marker - thanks. They don't sell any reloading supplies however, and most all their mil surplus guns are out of stock.:(

11. markerdown

markerdown New Member

Tick, tick, tick...... week anda half, still on backorder..aaarrrrrrrr

:( markerdown

12. fisher77

fisher77 New Member

The day will come. In the meantime go shoot one of your other weapons to pass the time:D