I spotted a left handed bolt action.

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Rick1967, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

The wife told me we had some spending money if I wanted to go to Cabelas and look around. I wasnt going to argue with that. I was looking at all of the used rifles not finding anything of interest. Then I glanced down the row of bolt actions. I was standing to the left of the guns and could see all of the bolt handles. Then I noticed one was missing. I thought there must be something wrong with it. I picked it up and found that the bolt was on the other side. I almost had to sit down. I am left handed. I have never owned a left handed rifle. It was a savage 110 in 30-06. Nice wood stock with a variable power scope on it. $369.00. I had to buy it. I will pick it up in the morning. Had to wait on the background check. I have only shot a left handed rifle once. It was at hunter safety 2 years ago. Until then I had never cycled an action with the butt still against my shoulder. I know what I am doing after church tomorrow!

2. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

From one lefty to another...you'll like it. I bought my Savage 110 30.06 "lefty" in 196?. I've knocked down more deer/elk over the years to put in the freezer with this rifle than any other. I can tell you what, it'll be the last one I ever part with. Enjoy it!

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Rick,It'll probably feel awkward at first but with some practice you'll love the LH bolt.
    I have a bunch of LH rifles-All Savage's,but I still buy RH also. I can operate/shoot either way.

If you don't like it,let me know. I'd probably buy it from you just to have another LH action for another custom build.

4. Rick1967

I have been flipping through my copy of "Modern Gun Values" this morning. The book is 3 years old. So I know any values in it are low. But there are so many 110 models I am not sure what it is. They range from $200-$725. Again 3 years old. All the lefties are worth more than the right hand models. I know it is not the $200 because it has no sights on it. I will take another look when I pick it up after church. I am buying it no matter what the model is.

Hey Kimerfan, is yours scoped or sights? Is it a 110 or is there a letter designation after it? I am trying to get an idea of how old it is. This one has a montecarlo stock with checkering on the grip. I dont think there was checkering on the forearm.

5. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

You know, Savage makes a large number of LH Bolt Actions. For me, being LH, i actually prefer the RH Bolts. Most of my shooting is done prone, off a rest. Much more comfortable that way.......

6. Rick1967

I have 12 rifles in my safe. All of them are right handed. Until I took that hunter ed class and fired that left handed 22, I did not no follow up shots could be that quick with a bolt action. I have been hunting with a Remington 770. Yea Yea P.O.S. I know. But anyway, if I needed a second shot with that Remington there was no way I would have time. I might as well carry a single shot.

I was actualy looking for a Reminton 760 when I spotted the Savage. The 760 is a pump gun. I have never seen a used left handed bolt action for sale. And I have been looking for a long time.

7. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

I'm right handed, but I like bolt handles on the left on semi-autos. I just like that I can cock it with my left hand, it feels more natural to me.

8. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

If I am not mistaken, there is a greater number of LH people in the Northeast. If you go to the gun shops here, you will see LH guns. Used & new.

Also in the news: Apparently, the NE also has the highest concentration of double-pawed cats. AKA 4WD cats.....

9. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

As a fellow left handed shooter congratulations on your purchase! I'm thinking of finally getting a LH bolt action for my collection.

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Great find. Enjoy that left hand bolt action rifle. It'll probably feel like you've finally 'come home'.

11. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

Mine is a 110PL, has the pretty Monte Carlo stock. I mounted a Redfield Widefield 3x9 scope on it and it's a perfect shooter.

Here's some info I found on the one I have. I think I purchased mine in 1966.

"From 1964-80, the Model 110P (Premier Grade) was produced; it was a deluxe version of the Model 110E. It was chambered only in a few calibers, used a 24-inch barrel for the 7mm Magnum version, and had a French walnut stock with a half-length fore-end and a roll-over Monte Carlo comb. The fore-end had a rosewood endcap, and the checkering on the pistol grip wrist and fore-end had a skip-line pattern. The Model 110PE Presentation Grade model is even more fancy than the Model 110P, with engraving on the receiver, trigger guard, magazine floorplate, and stock; and they rarely were fitted with iron sights (though they were always drilled and tapped). They are otherwise identical for game purposes to the Model 110P. While the Model 110PE is rare, the Model 110PEL left-handed version is virtually never seen. The Model 110P also had a left-handed version, the Model 110PL."

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  12. Rick1967

I took it to the range.

Well it was windy. I mean like 40+ mph windy. It felt even worse at the range. But I just had to go. I carried my target out to 100 yards. I put a couple heavy rocks on top of the stand. I only shot 4 rounds. The wind was so bad I had trouble keeping the rifle still. It actually picked the hard plastic case up with the rifle in it and blew it up against my shooting bag. I really just wanted to hear it go bang. I ended up with one stray shot that was nowhere near the other three. But the three that were ok were about a 2.5 inch group. But it was about a foot right and a foot low of the bullseye. I did not mess with the scope. I will try again on a calm day. I am betting this will be a really acurate rifle once I can hold it still.

13. bohunter85

bohunter85 New Member

You will love the 110. Is it pre-accu trigger? My righty 110. Would do 1/4" at 100 with random (safe). Reloads. But I sold it. When I switched to an Encore, didnt need 2 '06 in the safe, Sold it for 275. No scope. I'd say your price was decent and within the rifles value.