I see why 357 sig cost more than 40

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by versatile, May 5, 2013.

1. versatile

versatile New Member

I used my conversion barrel for the first time and now I realize why 357 sig cost more than forty. It is much more accurate, the follow-up shots are faster, and the bullets feed easier into the chamber. I don't know if I even want to shoot 40 anymore but I probably will because it's cheaper. With 357 sig you can see true precision. The target at 25 yards seemed closer after the conversion. The recoil seemed much more manageable. I think I'll try my underwood 40 ammo and compare them next time.

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  2. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Are you using a Glock 22/23 with a 357Sig barrel? Do you use the same magazines?

What's your setup?

3. versatile

versatile New Member

p226 40/357 frame. same 15 round mec-gar magazines.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It is more expensive partially because there is not as much demand. Also, it is more difficult to load.

It does feed much more easily as you are stuffing a 9mm bullet into a .40 caliber chamber.

Conversions are pretty fool proof. Because the Sig round is essentially a necked down .40, the same magazines are used. You can even get conversion barrels for 10mm pistols

5. versatile

versatile New Member

i think it's easier to put 357 sig in the magazine. the blunt, blocky tips of the 40 s&w make it easy for bullets to slip on one another. the 357 sig is even easier to drop in the chamber.

6. msup752

msup752 New Member

Reloading the .357 sig is a breeze. The components, minus the brass, is all the same as 9mm. I used a lot of converted 40 brass.
    Accuracy is good, feeding is reliable and it is just as compact as any .40.
    I used to own several guns in this caliber.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It does not cause much of an obstacle to loading for us "small" volume loaders. Run it through a high speed machine and you will see the difficulty. Rifle loaders are slower than pistol loaders (commercial). The .357 Sig is similar to loading rifle ammo.

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The 357 Sig round is pretty good. I had a 229 that I had another bbl for. The cost, availability and the fact they where harder to reload was my only reason for not using it more. Being most of my pistol ammo I reload made it just not cost effective.