I Screwed Up

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by beaglesam, Jul 4, 2012.

1. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Yesterday I was cleaning up my loading bench when I mixed Winchester 231 with container of Titegroup. What are your thoughts on using this container. The amount of 231 was about half of a Lee powder measure. The container of Titegroup was more than half full.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

How different are the burn rates etc? If you pull up the same load for each are the specs totally different? If they are almost identical I would probably mix them together really well and hope none of my guns complain.

3. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

That's actually the first thing I checked, they are pretty close.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

How close though? You don't want to have a load go over limits. I'll grab my book and see If I can compare with ya.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

According to my burn rate chart (fast to slow)
    titegroup is #9
    231 is #21

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I think you will be OK but I would stick to the low end of the safe loads just in case.
    (Use at your own risk)

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I would not risk my safety or my guns over $25 worth of powder. When I pull bullets if I am not completely certain what is in it I just pour it out on the garage floor and burn it. We will make a little line on the ground and a small pile at the end. I let my son do it with me. He has never played with matches without me either. Kind of takes the curiosity out of it.

8. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

My thought was the majority of powder is Titegroup. Since it is the faster burning I could load to that limit and be ok. Tell me my thought process is wrong.

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Slower burning powder can really increase pressures. Believe it or not light loads on really slow burning powders have actually blown guns up. It's one one of those firearm mysteries like the cop who managed to get a bullet chambered backwards in his glock.

10. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Yea I thought about that also I buy the Titegroup for $20. Not that big of a loss.

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Oh well for that price. Dump it. Powder is far more expensive in my state. I'm lucky to get a pound of black powder for under $33

12. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

How much does a new gun cost? How much are your fingers worth? What is your life worth? If you mix powders just burn it off.

13. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Toss it out.
    cottontop

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if the burn rates are similar and the differences in the ratio, it would probably be okay, but i would suggest just disposing of it to be on the safe side. the cost of some powder isn't worth the risk of damaging a gun or possible injury to a person shooting it.

15. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I'd just strike a match and watch it go. It's not worth the risk.

16. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR New Member

Would not be worth it to me .

Had a gun shop about 30 miles from my home that i spent a lot of time at .
    The old man that ran the shop shot trap and any powder that came it with a trade was pored into an old keg to be used in his shot shells . I seen him dump anything and everything in that keg . Yes he is still going .

17. billt

billt New Member

TOSS IT! Never under any circumstances mix gun powder!

18. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

There is no way I would use powder that has been mixed. The powder makes an excellent fertilizer if you sprinkle it on your lawn or garden. You don't have to burn it or just throw it away.

19. genesis

genesis New Member

3.3 grains of Titegroup is book max in a 38 special. I use 3.5 grains of 231 in my 38 specials with a wad cutter for around 750 FPS. If it were me I'd start with 2 grains of the mixed powder in a 38 or 357 case with a wad cutter and shoot them in a 357. Shouldn't hurt anything. A chronograph would come in handy. If it's under 800 FPS you're not generating to much pressure. If everything seems ok, use it up that way.

Don <><

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  20. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Once I accidently dumped Bullseye into a container of Unique. Very similar burn rates to your choices. Like you, I too, made some expensive rose fertilizer.
    Unless someone from Winchester's powder manufacturing division comes on here with specific data for you, it's guesswork. Guesswork on stuff like this is asking for trouble.