I saw this on Glock Talk and want to pass it on

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Bigguns911, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Bigguns911

Bigguns911 New Member

Dangers of brake cleaner: Brake Cleaner = Phosgene Article

I know most of us are not going to be heating our firearms to high heat levels but it is something to keep in mind. :(

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Great info Big! Thanks.

3. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

Sheesh! Thanks for the heads up. I use CLP on all of my weapons during the cleaning process. I don't know it it matters, but thanks.

4. gunpower

gunpower New Member

Thanks for the info. Another Darwin-experience avoided

5. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Phosgene was one of the first chemical weapons employed by the Nazis. It is deadlier than the story lets on. As a retired military weapons guy, I have to say that this story understates the threat posed by a minimal exposure to phosgene.

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I have no idea what this guy is talking about. I'm not saying I want to huff burning brake clean but I have breathed it before with no ill side effects. I've been working on cars, motorcycles and the like since I was 8 or 9 years old and sooner or later things like this happen.

7. Bigguns911

Bigguns911 New Member

Spit, from what I read he heated it to an extreme temp. That was when the gas was formed and hit him. In most work a person would not heat something that hot, IE gun work. I just wanted to pass it on to give people a heads up. I have been exposed to chlorine gas in the past and it was not fun. Gases can get you with out you knowing it. All I am saying is use do caution.

8. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

From personal experience:

Used BP cleaner on some small parts that I wanted to weld together.
    Hosed down the gunk with the cleaner, blew it clean/dry with compressed
    air. Welding with a small wire welder, 75/25 gas (Argon/CO2 mix).

Didn't really notice any extra smoke or anything coming off of the weld
    zone, but got on good whiff of the fumes and it was BAD. Just plain
    took my breath away. Chest pain, short of breath. Lasted for an
    hour or so. No apparent long term effects----but DO NOT use brake
    parts cleaner on metal you are going to weld!!

9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Maybe if the douche bag knew what the hell he was doing he wouldn't have had this happen.

Where does it say break clean can be used on spots you are welding. Again here we are with someone using a product for one thing and not what it was used for.

Don't they make something for this? I am not a welder so I don't know. I have never seen a welder use break clean on a part before welding either.

I think the guy is just too stupid for his own good. Now he is going to for sure sue the company causing them to settle and then screw the rest of us by raising prices.