I Remember Why I Reload

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by MOshooter, Dec 23, 2013.

1. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

I just bought a 9mm barrel for my Glock 23 a while back,picked up some G19 magazines.

I have been itching to shoot the G23 with the 9mm barrel,so I thought I would pick up some factory 9mm ammo to cure the itch until I was set up to reload for the 9mm with my Dillon 550,I need dies and a caliber conversion kit.

The wife was going to Bass Pro,so I asked if she would pick up a box of 9mm ammo,when she made it home with 2 boxes of 9mm was 26.00 ea.,I thought that was a bit high? Until I saw the box was 20 COUNT for 26.00 bucks! :eek: That's over a dollar a shot?? For 9mm?? :eek: That's not a little high,that's down right robbery! :eek:

I can buy the dies for less than 40 shells of 9mm?
    How times have changed? I haven't bought any factory centerfire ammo since the mid 80s and won't be buying factory ammo except for CCW only.

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Did you buy premium HP ammo? That is about right for the "good" stuff right now.

3. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Yes Robo I believe it was SD Federal,I guess that's inline? I'm just not used to buying factory ammo.

From what my wife told me there were only three boxes of 9mm ammo at Bass Pro on the shelves and it was the Federal Devastator,maybe I should keep it for SD ammo?

Thanks for the input.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

At a $ a shot, yes keep it for a rainy day.

5. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

I never thought I would see the day 9mm was over a dollar a shot?

6. davva360

davva360 New Member

I just bought 100 FMJ 9mm for $25. A box of 50 is usually about $15. Don't think either of those prices is bad considering the shortages we just went through.

At this point I am relieved its back on the shelves so I can shoot without dwindling my supplies.

7. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

davva,

It is good to see ammo back on the shelves again.
    I was just looking for some inexpensive target ammo,until I could round up some carbide dies along with a caliber conversion kit for the 550 Dillon.

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

Yeah if it were me I'd keep it for a rainy day too.

Unless you absolutely have to shoot through the new barrel right now. I doubt anyone would fault you for that. :)

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

There is a spreadsheet floating around that you enter your current conversions for the dillon presses and it tells you what pieces your missing for any given other caliber conversion. Let's you decide if you need a full kit or its cheaper to buy just a part or two. Pretty handy thing.

10. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

JW,
    I will probably save the SD 9mm ammo for my wife,she's the main reason why I decided to give the 9mm a try. She shoots 22 & 38s really well,the 40 S&W just seems a bit snappy for her to handle after a shot or two,plus that gives me a reason to take a close look at the Sig 938 :)

Jon
    Thanks for the information.

I have that chart in my reloading room that breaks down the individual components for each caliber that will show which powder funnel,plate,and brass pins for the various calibers.

I have never loaded or shot any 9mm cartridge? :)
    In the handgun cartridges I reload 38s,357mag,44 special,44mag,45 Colt,and the 45ACP.

11. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

Yeah I would go check at Walmart they have been carrying 9mm 100 round boxes of WWB for like $17.99 and it is usually in stock whenever I am there and I live in San Antonio so if mine has it I would imagine the other stores would have it too.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'd hold the expensive SD 9mm back too. But really, the G23 40-9mm conversion barrel is best for range use, not SD. (At least that's what I do.) So you'd normally buy cheap stuff to run through it. For SD reliability I'd use the native caliber in the G23. Everybody says 40S&W is snappy but so is hot 9mm.

BTW, Federal Champion 9mm cycles nicely in my G23 with Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

Depends on the gun. Out of a glock everything has a lot of muzzle flip. Even big 147grain max load 9mm out of a m9a1 just sits with negligible flip or felt recoil. Poor handling is a big reason among others I never bothered with glocks.

14. sparky80

sparky80 New Member

Was just at Walmart this morning. 45 Federal was 25 plus tax for 50. 9mm 100 round packs where around the same. I am going to set up the press I've had laying around.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  15. JW357

JW357 New Member

I like the looks and feel of the P938. I want one. It would be my pocket carry gun (unless I get a lightweight .357 Magnum revolver). I haven't shot it yet, but I'd like to before I but one.

16. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

I've been looking at the P938 and almost bought one last summer at Bass Pro,the P938 looks to be a great choice for pocket carry. I haven't shot one either,from what i've read the triggers are a bit heavy at 7.5-8.5 lbs. for a SA pistol.

17. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Thanks sean,
    That's the type of ammo I was looking for,just some practice ammo to throw a bit of lead down range until my dies and conversion kit shows up. I think after Christmas i'll check out Walmart.

Quentin,
    Thanks for the input

I'm going to keep the Federal SD ammo. I mainly ventured into the 9mm because my wife enjoys shooting,but the 40S&W in the G23 just seems to be a bit more recoil than she enjoys or shoots very well.
    I purchased the G23 the first year it was available and have been happy with the pistol and 40 S&W round since the the first box of ammo.

18. JW357

JW357 New Member

The one I dry fired seemed to have a smooth trigger. I can deal with it being a bit heavy as long as its smooth.

19. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

I haven't had the chance to try a P938 trigger,Bass Pro has trigger locks on all their display firearms. I did get to size compare the the Sig 938 with a XDS,the P938 was quite a bit smaller.

20. JW357

JW357 New Member

For the life of me I can't figure out why the XDs 9mm is the exact same size as the .45 ACP version. You'd think the 9mm could be fairly substantially smaller.