I ordered my Ruger 22/45!

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by drvsafe, Jul 25, 2013.

1. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Psyched! I got the 10158 which is the model with the replaceable grips and 5.5" bull barrel. I'm lookin forward to breaking it in. I have a variety of different .22 lr to try. What I'm not looking forward to is takedown, but just like anything once you do it a few times its easy. I was wondering if I would be able to swap the grips with any 1911 model? I am also going to get a decent optic for it, nothing too pricey.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  2. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I finally picked up my 22/45 today. Psyched. I got a chance to (try and) strip and clean it for the first time. What a task! But 3 hours and 4 swollen fingers later I managed to complete the task. It's not that it's difficult, the tolerances are quite tight and, well it IS tricky. But now I know.

Attached Files:

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

great choice! i have the same pistol and i am very pleased with it. they get easier the more you take them apart. the first time i did mine, my experiance was very similiar to yours!

congrats on your new purchase.:D

BTW, buy the OEM Ruger mags if you want more. i have heard some horror stories about some the aftermarket mags for the Ruger pistols.

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

Congrats on the new purchase! My wife and I have been considering another .22....

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Congrats those things are great shooting 22's

6. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Thanks all. Looking forward to shooting it, not looking forward to cleaning it, but its a necessary evil.
    I wouldn't let it detract from owning one if you're considering a .22 pistol. The aftermarket parts are readily available and from what I have heard its a super reliable shooter!

Add to it I just snagged 250 federal LRN for $2.99 a box I know it will be a blast!

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Get a Bam Bushing to get rid of the mag safety. It lets the mag drop free, improves the trigger and it is cheap.
    http://bushing.webs.com/

8. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

For the optic, you might want to look at the Burris fast fire series if you can't afford EOTech $$.
    I'm taking my FF II off my 1911 Series 80 GC and putting on my 22/45...then we have to get the Wife either another II or a III for her Buckmark. Also found a great place for .22 ammo that also happens to carry optics: Natchez Shooters supplies in Tn...

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Missed the optic part. I have a Bushnell TRS25 mounted on mine. 3 MOA red dot and 3k hrs battery life. Under $100 with integral mount.

10. DrFootball

Bushnell is good as well! Might get one too! something else to test out and write up here...

11. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

congrats, i have a 4" bull barrel model. really fun plinker!

here's a vid that makes the dis-assembly look much more simple. they get a bad rep for being a pain to take down....when i bought mine the salesperson told me it was such a pain to take apart, that i should NEVER take it apart and just lock the bolt back & swab it out to clean it....lmao! it really isn't bad at all.

great gun..you won't regret it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fIYIWK0boo[/ame]

12. DrFootball

It is a PITA to take down, but I found that a "Small" jewelers screwdriver or small hole punch if used "CAREFULLY" can assist in removing some parts that are "tight" at the beginning. Ruger also sells a "takedown" tool that they claim is for the LC380(and they include one when you buy it), But my Guy at the shop where we got ours says it will work on any gun....I Had the MK II forever. Grabbed the 22/45 4.4" threaded Barrel last summer as an "i Want it" birthday present. This years "happy birthday to me" presents are a little late,..but finally tomorrow we ride to Prescott again to pick up my new 12Ga, Her new .410, and our .32's..

13. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

it gave some probs at first....now i can take apart as quick as the guy in that video. my AR is more tedious to clean imo. i honestly think its just slightly more trouble than the average firearm.

of course...there's always the chance i'm doing a terrible job! :D

14. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

My fingers are still aching from figuring it out last night. But at least I did it a few times so I know the procedure. But For as much as i look forward to breaking it in i dint look forward to disassembling it again.

15. 1911love

1911love New Member

I bought a Craftsmen mallet(hammer) that had 4 different heads with different levels of hardness that could be screwed on and off the double sided head of the mallet. This used with a small wooden dowl made getting that mainspring pin out from the top of the barrel a lot easier on my MkIII Target.

I found that after a few breakdowns it gets a lot easier. PITA is an understatement for the manual of arms for this weapon. It's been out since the 50's, Ruger needs to update this issue or make a new model to sell alongside the Mk series. JMHO though, I still love my MkIII.

16. indy36

indy36 New Member

Here is mine, ready for Steel Challenge events. I love the C-More red dot. Worth the money.

image-2731015406.jpg

17. DrFootball

Would love one but Like EOTech & TriJicon,..too rich for me right now...unless you have a secret squirrel hook up for like $200 off!

18. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I'm thinking about the NC Star green dot. Not too pricey and I think pretty good quality.

19. DrFootball

How much if you don't mind me asking....?

20. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I saw it on eBay for $70 delivered. But I know FFL has them and I prefer to give him the business provided he's got a reasonable price for it.