I.O. Hellast .380

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Mbauer6288, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Mbauer6288

Mbauer6288 New Member

I'm thinking of buying I O's Hellcat .380. It's similar to the Keltec, Ruger, and Taurus .380's, but probably not as well made. I'm just looking for a little something for ccw at an affordable price.

Has anyone heard anything good out bad? Or does anyone own one and have a recommendation?

2. Marthor

Marthor New Member

I couldn't believe it when I saw one of those Hellcats at Bass Pro for only $220. That's such a cheap price.

My LCP was $300 and is the cheapest priced handgun in my collection. Even cheaper than the Ruger 22/45 target pistol I got for $319.

I can vouch for the goodness of quality and function of the LCP. The $80 difference in price is worth it if it's your #1 CCW and if there are any quality issues with the Hellcat. I don't know about that. I just know the LCP is good quality for a good price.

3. fmj

fmj Active Member

if your gonna carry this weapon in a personal protection application...DO NOT go cheap!!! You get what you pay for 90% of the time!

This is just my humble opinion..your more than welcome to do as you choose.

4. KalashnikovJosh

KalashnikovJosh New Member

I've had an IO hellcat for about a year now.

Fired all sorts of FMJ,and even some hot Buffalo Bore thru it.No problems with federals' hydra shock 90gr "personal defense" JHP either.

No problems,no FTFs,no "smilies", nada.
    Its about as accurate as you'd expect from something this small- best I've done was hit a "head shot" target at about 25 yards with 5 out of 7 shots in a two hand hold(isosceles),firing fast.

What I like about it,is around the same time I was considering a P3AT,as far as I knew,the little keltecs came with a plastic guide rod,with a metal guide rod as an "upgrade".
    I don't know if keltec is still doing that,but-The hellcat's guide rod is metal.

The hellcat also accepted Peirce finger grip extensions "for Beretta 3032 Tomcat, Kel-Tec P3AT, Bersa 380" and even the keltec belt-clip (mine is on the right side) with no problem.

If you do get one,make sure its the "newer" version that should have grip extensions and better sights,and do yourself a favor and get the chrome plated cause the blued steel needs to be wiped clean with an oil rag after your done wearing it if youve been carrying close to your skin,or it'll rust.

Anyway,heres a gunblast review-

http://www.gunblast.com/IO-Hellcat.htm

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  5. paulbrower

paulbrower New Member

I also give a vote of confidence for the LCP. It's always on me, either as a backup or a primary concealed. It goes bang when I pull the trigger. 100% of the time.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

6. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I've seen the Hellcat at the local gun-store...They look real nice,but I would spend more for the Ruger LCP if it where me.....just saying.....

7. KalashnikovJosh

8. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

9. KalashnikovJosh

Yep.
    Americas favorite upper class hoplophobic dysfunctional family!

[​IMG]