I never knew THESE were commodities

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by ScottA, Aug 23, 2012.

1. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Stamps are worthless to hoard as are antique guns. Both are like comic books and baseball cards only interesting to a few nerds who will be pretty much extinct after a collapse.

My opinion if your going to collect something like guns get ones that are usable and fully functional. A rusty old colt peacemaker from before jesus was born may be cool to look at and worth something now, but when shtf its value goes to zero during and after.

If your an antiquer or a stamper nothing against you but its not a shtf commodity.

3. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Does a Mosin count as an antique?... :)

4. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Some do, but they're the most useful antiques you could get. :D

5. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

ammo, water, salt and sugar, are gonna be some of the trade "commodities" for some sort of SHTF scenario.......well, they will be for us "middle class" peeps anyway. you can take that gold and silver and stick it up wall street's a$$ when it comes to SHTF and middle America.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

An "Antique" firearm is defined by Federal law. The specific firearm must have been made prior to 1899, or be a muzzleloader regardless of when it was made.

Just being old does not make it an antique.

7. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Green Acres is the place to be!

The best commodities are good friends and neighbors and pure and simple country living! You wanna eat, stay warm, protect yourself and survive; get the hell out of the cities. They are death traps and communal prisons. If the crap hits the fan, the last thing you need is to be surrounded by others in the same boat within 12' of your doorstep! Just look at the Big easy as a perfect example. When Katrina hit, it was every person for themselves! That was a regional disaster, not even nationwide, they were lucky because 98% of the country was in a position to help them when they couldnt or wouldnt help themselves, a stock market crash will leave them and 1000 other cities festering in their own stank without a paddle or a prayer!

In 1998 when the Ice Storm Whacked Central and upper NY, those in the boonies fared much better than the city folk. My platoon was the first humans to hit the Canadian border rural districts and 100% of them were prepared prior, the City folks on the other hand were helpless and hopeless. The country folk didnt get power back for a month or more but most had generators, food, water, heat and the tools to provide come what may. All the city folk had was food lines, shelters in a stadium and kerosun heaters they were killing themselves with by sealing their little apartments with duct tape and blankets.

My home is large enough to move my entire family back into, I have 9 acres that we can grow food, hunt and trap, I have my own well and a couple springs and our neighbors are mostly like thinkers! Im pretty sure that if the crap hits the fan, I dont wanna be in the city! I dont care how many commodities you try to cram into your apartment, they will not save you from your surroundings, just make you a more lucrative target to the masses surrounding you.

Just wanted to add- The best way to not get hit is not to be there when a punch is thrown. That takes foresight. So many folks out there trying to figure out how to protect themselves in a future possible war zone yet the best defense has and always will be, get out before the Sh!t Hits The Fan, after, its too late.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I really wasn't thinking of this as a SHTF scenario.

9. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Scott, I see your correct. Truth is, those are great investments I suppose but other than country land, im out of the market!