I needed a new 9mm so I got an SR9c

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by dgray64, Apr 27, 2013.

1. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

I have sold a couple of .40s and a 9 and have another 9 for sale, and I thought I needed a new 9. I sold my (Taurus PT-745) because it's small and the recoil was getting too bad for me. I found a nice 1911 to replace it, but needed another 9. I went to my favorite Pawn Shop and asked for an SR9. The salesman showed me an LCP (got one) and an SR22, but I have a P22 like it. He only had one more Ruger, a P95. Hmmm. Then he whooped from the end of the case. He found an SR9c. I held it, and sighted on it and fondled it and he replaced the flat bottom of the short mag with the pinky extension and I fondled it some more. then I bought it.

I cleaned it, lubed it and shot 5 rounds out of it (conserving ammo). All were where I wanted them. This was the most accurate gun out of the box I ever had. Love it. Sorry , no pictures yet.

Dave

2. TX45

TX45 New Member

Congrats on the SR9c! I have a stainless one and I love it. I also have the SR9 (stainless) that I love as much as the SR9c.

3. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

That sounds great! I have never shot a full sized SR9, but will one day. Does it have the double recoil spring like the 9c model? I think that that spring is one thing that manages the recoil so well and keeps it on target for the second shot.

Dave

4. TX45

TX45 New Member

Nope, the SR9 recoil spring is a single spring.

5. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

How does the recoil compare to your c model? Much different? Thanks for the info.

Dave

6. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I think you'll really enjoy and appreciate the SR9c. It is my most recent purchase and I've only shot 4 mags worth thru it, but I can easily see it becoming my fav. Zero issues so far! Much better ergonomics that the LC9, which I also have and CC part-time.

7. TX45

TX45 New Member

To me the SR9 recoil is a bit less than the recoil of the compact.

8. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

Someday I'll run into a full sized SR9 and try it. I took mine to the pasture today and ran about 60 rounds through it. No issues, soft recoil, accurate, fun to shoot. I should have gotten one of these years ago.

Dave

9. TX45

TX45 New Member

Now I want an SR45. I will get 1 soon. [​IMG]

10. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

That will be great! The problem now is ammo, so I'm not in a hurry for more guns until I can buy more jacketed bullets for reloading and more commercial ammo at reasonable prices. I'll bet that SR45 is a winner.

Dave

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

3+ yrs
    3000+ rds
    ZERO hiccups :)

[​IMG]

12. davva360

davva360 New Member

I love the SR9C. I had mine for a little over a year. Never had an issue and I have about 1000 rounds through it now. I just love the way it shoots. Great trigger.

13. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

Drool!!!! Love your choice of guns. I shot my SR9c again today. Man, it's and easy shooter!

Dave

14. markie357

markie357 New Member

I just picked up an SR9c a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I put 100 rounds through it and not one problem. Now I'm outta ammo and stood in line this morning at Gander Mtn and by the time they got to me they were out of 9mm. Someone told me about a place I can buy reloads but I don't know about them? What do you guys think? I love this gun and don't want to ruin it so I'm kinda afraid to run reloads through it, just by what I've read and heard. I have also read people saying that their SR9c eats anything they feed it??

15. dgray64

dgray64 New Member

I run my own reloads through mine, but at the gun shows, I know only one man who's ammo I'd trust, so it's up to you. Your best bet is to learn to reload, of course the problem with getting started now is finding powder, primers and bullets. Keep your eyes open the situations got to change eventually.

Dave

16. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

Congrats on the choice. I have had one three years now in and it is a great shooter. I don't carry it a lot because I have a Shield, which is easier to carry, but love to shoot my SR9c. It is now my nightstand gun.

I too am eyeing the SR45.

17. movekwik2002

movekwik2002 New Member

I have an sr9 and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT......
    I also have an sr40
    Both are super wonderfull weapons.

Have my eye on a sr45 and a silenced sr22

18. WorldTraveler

WorldTraveler New Member

This is one of the better firing weapons I've shot in many years. Now, if I could just find ammo to put thru it. Here in beautiful downtown Enid, OK, the only loads for it are too expensive to purchase. I've got about 200 rounds that I'm sitting on until some more is available.

I love the trigger on this, nice and smooth, and there's not much perceived recoil considering the weight. Nice and comfortable to shoot.

Check your six!
    Clint

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

I dont run other people's reloads through my guns. Seen too many handloaders that look like the used a tape measure and bathroom scale for getting overall length and charge weights...

I load my own ammo as i prefer being responsible for my own mistakes if i should make one in loading.

20. cluznar

cluznar New Member

Having to stand in line for ammo sucks. Like standing in a soup kitchen line, but I guess the Gov't wants us to have less ammo. As for the SR9c, it is really one great gun.