I Need Your Help!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by dnthmn2004, May 6, 2009.

1. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I got word that my grandmother was looking to get some info on a couple guns my grandfather left with her when he passed away. Thinking it was a few "modern" handguns or rifles, I said I would be glad to help. Unbeknowst to me, I got myself way in over my head. I have no clue what most of these guns are and would greatly appreciate as much help as you guys can give me.

I was on a strict schedule this afternoon and wasn't anticipating taking pictures of these guns, so I did what I could with my phone. I briefly looked them over for markings; some have a couple markings of manufacturers, others, just a couple numbers/letters. I'm planning to go back and take some quality pictures and document all the markings.

There is also a LOT of powder horns/tins and all the "tools" to make musket balls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These next two pictures are of the same two guns; they were too long to fit in the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do know that the two guns the look the same in the top right corner, are pair of dueling pistols.?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

[​IMG]
    Just the top layer of powder tins (correct term?), there are about 20 in that one box, and there are 4 boxes. Theres an array of tin, horn, and leather ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The numbers on the Colt match. I tried getting the serials, but once again, pictures were with a phone. Its not as dirty as it looks.

4. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

6. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

The top rifle in the first pic is very blurry but appears to be an 1863 Springfield. It may be a Zouave. Are all these guns originals or are some replica's? There seems to be a percussion Kentucky pistol in one photo, an English Blunderbuss, and two French duelling pistols although it's impossible to tell given the blurred photo's. If originals they may be worth a fortune. Take better pics and send to the American Rifleman for identification, year of manufacture, and possible value. If that percussion revolver is an actual Colt, it would be worth doing the backround on it since original ownership can determine the value and the value can be in the tens of thousands. The powder flasks may be worth as much as the guns if they were original, although they appear to be of relatively new manufacture. Above all, DO NOT sell anything until you have determined the actual worth through a 3rd party reputable authority on firearms antiquities if these are in fact originals. An original Colt Single Action Army recently sold for almost $800,000.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  7. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I'll give you 50 bucks for all of it!

8. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Thank you so much for all that info. Like I said, I have no idea where to start.

They are all originals except for the second rifle in the first pic. The Colt is an actual Colt, with all matching numbers. I'm not sure about the tin powder flasks being original. I'll have to get back to you on that.

I think I'm going to go take some more, high quality pictures today.

9. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

3'rd picture, top rifle is a M1871 swiss vetterli. Should be in 10.4mm rimfire.

10. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

YW and I'm jealous!

11. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I took some better quality pictures and took notes on the markings this morning.

Note: The markings I recorded were what I could recognize. Most probably aren't correct.

12. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

On the side in gold: BARMI
    Top in gold "block": CK
    Top of barrel: VORWICH

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  13. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

You can see it says PATTISON on the left side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Just some photos of how the rod works. Pretty cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

This one looks like it was poorly restored with sandpaper and a sandblaster. The only markings were "S. CAROLINA".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

There are NO markings on this gun. It looks like brass was melted or hammered into the engravings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

There are no markings on this. There are a several inlays missing, but the remaining ones are pearl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

#1 French Dualing Pistol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. dnthmn2004