I need yalls help

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by ineverFTF, May 20, 2012.

1. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Will be getting a 1911 in the next yearish. My budget is only 600-650 i have looked at a citidel a remington and a high standard all decent any suggestions?

2. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

Buying a gun is like buying a car, each having a high trade-in value. If you are not about trade-in value, and just want a 1911 to use for as long as you like, then any reputable gun shop will fix you up with a good colt, sig, charter, or whatever. Top quality 1911s will go higher than $1200. You look and you decide, but any good 1911 at $600 with do you just fine.

3. towboater

towboater Active Member

A Rock Island Armory and 1000 rounds.

4. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I own a High Standard, best $500 that ive ever spent. Its been flawless for a little over 1300 rounds. They are mil-spec and will accept any aftermarket 1911 parts with little or no fitting

20111205_175231-1.jpg

20111205_175010-1.jpg

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

in the budget you have set, you actually have some decent choices available. RIA, MetroArms American Classic, High Standard, and possibly the Remington R1 if priced right. the Citidel, i have no knowledge of this one as i have only seen one so far. i haven't heard anything bad or good, so i won't comment on it. i have seen the RIA, very solid and decent pistol, seem very well made and has very good reviews. impresses me enough that i would give much consideration into buying one. the High Standard, about the same as the RIA, very good reviews, seems very well made. the MetroArms American Classic, i had one, very well made, decent accuracy and functioned very well and was decently priced. the Remington R1, just purchased the Enhanced model, very well made and very accurate.

the Remington will be at the high side of your budget, the others on the lower side of it. any of them would be good choices for a first 1911. i have no problem giving a recommendation for any of the choices i have listed, i wouldn't hesitate in buying personally.

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Aside from the Remington, I'd suggest checking out the Ruger SR 1911 or maybe an STI Spartan. The SA Mil Spec should hit your price range as well
    You might also consider well kept used Colts and other more premium models.

7. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

Very well said Sir. As was also mentioned above use any money saved for ammo.

8. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

The Ruger SR1911 will be my 1911!!!!:)

image-4200492897.jpg

9. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

It's good to want things.......haha

10. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

No comment from the peanut gallery lady!!!

11. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Hey Mister!!! I never claimed to be a lady.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Springfield Armory is also another good choice if one can be found in his price range and i have had several of those over the years and highly recommend them. the Ruger SR1911 i didn't suggest because it seems they have limited availability due to production backlog but it is a nice pistol and one i also have my eye on. the STI i didn't suggest, because of no personal experiance withthem or what kind of price range they are in. i have heard some very good reviews from owners of them, so they should merit some research into them. i didn't suggest Colt because of price range, as even used ones seem to go beyond his intended budget. but if he were to get lucky and find one in that price range, yes by all means go for it.

13. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I like these . (Top, middle) Auto Ordnance

Really favors one of these at a much lower price, plus it's made in America. (bottom)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  14. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

I have just recentley sold a ria and my 2nd citadel to found a new colt. I kept one of my citadel's becuase i really like it. IMO they r just as good maybe a little better than the ria. The only reason i got ride of the others is becuase im trying to fund a colt wiley clapp. My cit functions great has feed anything i put in it, ive got over 800 ronds through it with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Attached Files:

15. Machuee

Machuee New Member

I have a Taurus 1911 and am very happy with it's performance, and quality workmanship. I have had this one for about 2 years and it is my duty carry.I have had colts and Springfields and yes they are excellent weapons,and so is the Taurus.

16. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Thanks for all the input guys, i think im going with the citadel, from what yall and others have told me its a good gun, in my price range, and i can pick one up 6 miles away, i will still be browsing local shops and gun shows till i have the money, unless i get lucky and find a good deal im going with the citadel, thanks again guys

17. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Of the OP's three options, I vote for the Remington. Won't go into long story, but I have a Rock Island & will be sending it back to Davidson's for a refund. Steel in the slide is too soft & the gun store's gunsmith has seen several cases of this with RIAs & other brands from the Phillipines, so I am opting for a refund rather than a replacement.

18. rab

rab New Member

Get the RIA! You won't regret it!!!

19. vaskeet

vaskeet New Member

If you want a range gun sti spartan v adjustable rear and fiber front sights if carry sti spartan IV or ria tatical fixed sights I own a sti spartan V a RIA and a springfield loaded All have been great Randy