I need to rant

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by cobra22, Sep 23, 2009.

1. cobra22

cobra22 New Member

Ok I am really annoyed and need to get it out. For the last few weeks I have been trying to decide what rifle to get. I originally was going to go with a savage 11 to hunt deer with after asking you guys advice about its quality etc.

Anyways I go to my closest gun shop( I live in Illinois...yes please do feel sorry for me) about 1.5 hours away and I see a used Remy 700 CDL in 300WSM. Now I know it is a expensive and powerful round but I loved the feel and build of this rifle. The wooden stock did it for me.I did not have a clue how much this rifle costs new and they were asking 850 for it.

So there I was drooling over it and the guy was giving me the hard sale. I asked would he drop the price or at least throw in some ammo. I got a big NO Way answer. My wife was with me and was in a hurry so I said I would return the next day ( yesterday). Like a kid I got on the web and tried to find out as much as I could about the Remington 700. The first thing I find out is I can get in new for 800-850 in various stores. Im thinking this cant be right or maybe I am looking at the wrong model.

So last night I go back to the store and confirm that it is the same rifle that is selling for 800-850 . The guy at the shop go checks this out and says "yeah it is 850 new but the one he was selling is almost like new so he is charging the same price as a new one". He basically was rude and couldnt care less.

Is it just me? am I missing something? No matter how good the condition it should be sold at a lower price of a new one. If this was not the closest gunstore I woudl tell him where top go and never go back again.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

There are a lot of bozo's working at gun shops. They're full of bad information, wrong information and are often gunslinger/ninja/special forces wannabe's. If you can, patronize another gun shop where you will be treated respectfully. You can also buy ammunition online.

Best of luck.

3. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

When you know for sure that a gun dealer is trying to rip you, take your money elsewhere. Just because I want something real bad, I won't let some jerk stick it to me. There is a dealer just like that one less than 10 miles from here. Find a good dealer and give him your business.

4. divinginn

divinginn New Member

It sounds like your average pawn shop around here.

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Your right.

The CDL is the cream of the crop for the 700 Line.

Coming from a remmy fan boy. Save yourself some money and get a savage. Shoot just as good and cost a little less. Anything is better than that factory Remington Trigger.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I would agree with Tango. And not just to bash Remmy's either.

And the .300WSM bro??

If you are hunting with it, great. If you punching targets, you might want to consider a different caliber that will give you a longer barrel life.

Not to mention a more common caliber would be cheaper on ammo - unless you are all set up for production reloading.

JD

7. h2oskikrazy

h2oskikrazy New Member

The term "customer service" seems to be a foreign concept in most of the retail gun sales businesses that I have visited lately. Perhaps demand is too good.

8. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

With people like that working at gun shops I'm surprised they can sell much of anything. Was he just working there or was he the owner? It sounds like you need to frequent another gunshop to me.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

FWIW, if I meet ANY merchant that studied at the Bozo School of Business, I will not continue to reward him with my trade. He REALLY does not need my money.

If you go to auctionarms.com, and gunbroker.com, both have a "find a FFL" function on their home page. Enter your zip code, and it will pull up dealers that have registered there as willing to handle firearms transfers. MANY of them are stocking dealers. Find one you like.

Then look around the auctions. If you find a rifle that you like, from a seller with good prior feedback, buy it. Remember that in addition to the selling price, you WILL have shipping costs, and a dealer transfer fee. It gets shipped to your local dealer, you complete papework with him, pay him for the transfer, take yer rifle home.

If you are going to buy used, PAY for a used rifle.

10. cobra22

cobra22 New Member

Thanks for the replies. OK well guess what 2 days ago I go on Gunbroker and i find the exact same rifle, just 6 months old, comes with hard case, scope, mounts, sling and 3 boxes of ammo. I got it all for 785 shipped. It was a from a guy in Arkansas and he was very polite and professional.

Im a happy camper now :). It sure pays to shop around

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  11. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Good news Cobra. Of course, a range report and photos will be required. ;)

12. cobra22

cobra22 New Member

Ca357..you bet. I will post photos soon but I wont be able to do a range report for a few weeks as I am going back home to Ireland next tuesday for two weeks . i cant wait tos ee how my new baby preforms on the range.

13. mr1911

mr1911 New Member

Consider yourself lucky that ammo is right up there with 50bmg on the overkill, over priced specialty ammo list,....totaly not worth it, my shooting buddies nephew had the same gun similar deal and got smart traded it back in after a month.

P.S. go in expecting ALL gunshop counter guys to be used car salesmenm with atttitudes,...total d!ck heads!

14. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

Bad people and bad business.

some folks with bad business sense will jag ya hard, the good ones know how much the spent on a gun and how much folks will spend for it (the shop keeper would have to ask himself would I spend this much for this rifle??)
    The shop owner you encounterd was looking for the "dont know dont care I wanna buy it crowd", they run off potential customers, some the best gunshops have shooters that are owners that want to help there brother shooters(compassionate??), the guy with bad business sense was most likely in a high rent district in combination with bad business desision's coupled with a bad personality, H'd spent too much for a used rifle and had to mark it up to new prices to cover his overhead, these guys may have one hell of a mark-up, the pawn shop here makes as much $ on ammo,services and accessories as the intermittant sale of a firearm pluse he has the shop in the back of his home (all fixed up), Our guy is cheerfull, helpfull, always throwing somthing in evein if its a cap or keychain, a box of shells or mounts he goes the extra bit cause he cares, and if you you feel like your cared for, you keep coming back.

15. cobra22

cobra22 New Member

16. BudW

BudW New Member

How do you tell a cdl from a bdl?