I Need Some Suggestions

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by Polygon, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Right now my guns are just sitting in a closet. They aren't secure in any way. That's not much of a problem since the ammo and the magazines are all locked up in ammo cans and I rarely have children in the house. When I do that room is locked so they can't go in. They used to love to come over because in that same room I have a lot of video game systems and they loved to go in there and play. And to be honest, I used to like playing with them sometimes.

So, I'm looking for an option where I can lock them up to be secure from them getting to the guns. I would love to get a full blown safe, but money isn't there. Not to mention I'm in the basement and I don't own where I live. That leave lag bolting anything to the floor out as well. However, there wouldn't be a problem with screwing it to the studs behind it which would be a lot more secure from theft than they are now.

So, I take it my options really aren't options so much as I need to get a gun locker? That being the case do you guys have any suggestions? I want one wide enough it can be screwed to studs so it shouldn't just be carried out. Also, something somewhat sturdy that it wouldn't take them a bang with a hammer to get in.

2. ACES 6

ACES 6 New Member

Try this...

Perhaps a sturdy cable and lock would work? Run it through each of them and lock them all together. Then put them all in a Stack On – or other brand – gun locker, secured to the studs in your wall. Just a thought. Also, look into a contractor’s box at Home Depot. Same concept.

Good luck!

3. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I like the cable lock idea. That has an idea brewing to make it even hard if they do get into the locker. I like the idea of the contractors box, but I don't have room. It's going to have to be a stand up one that I can fit in the closet they're in.

Thanks for the help.

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

If you get creative, you don't have to buy anything

but a few pieces of wood and paneling.

How many folks are going to notice your crawl

space or attic?

Or you could build a false wall about 8" deep in a closet.

Perfect for a few-maybe eight or ten guns...

5. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I like both of those ideas, but I'm renting a basement. Luckily it's family so I can do some small stuff, but nothing major like that.

6. Mercator

Mercator New Member

This is a combination trigger lock. When correctly applied, it is hard to defeat. I have used them on my guns. You are right not to buy a cheap surrogate instead of a real safe. A false sense of security is worse than no security. Another tip if I may, stash your mags and ammo away from the guns, and the fewer people know (like 1 is enough) the better.

Attached Files:

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Is the ceiling in the basement finished?

If not, you could screw an 18" x 60" piece of 5/8th plywood

to a pair of joists, and close off both ends.

8. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I hate those things. And they're not really practical for how many guns I have. The big thing here is to keep them away from the kids. And to be honest, locking them in anything would be more secure than they are now. They're just sitting there.

Also, yes. The ammo and magazines are locked up in ammo cases and kept separate.

Hmm...

Interesting idea. Almost all of the basement is finished except for one small storage room. I'll have to see if that's a possibility.

9. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Short of a safe, changing the door knob set on a closet to one that is keyed and lockable is probably your most cost effective route.

10. Polygon

Polygon New Member

True. But it seems I'm striking out left and right here. The closet doors don't have any sort of latch.

I'm thinking I just need to get a floor standing locker for now and worry about a safe when I'm in my own place and have more options. Are there any lockers anyone would suggest over another?

11. Vincine

Vincine New Member

How.many do you have?

I've got my 9mm, and assorted range stuff, in a combination attaché. It's hanging on pegs from its handle on the back of a closet door. You don't even see it unless you go into the closet, shut the door behind you, and turn around.

I like the idea of just getting a lock set for the door.

12. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

Is the closet door a folding door style or sliding doors?

Can you attach a bar across the front of the folding doors to keep them from opening, then lock the bar onto the brackets?

For sliding doors, you can put a large dowel or a 2x4 in the track of the outer door to keep it from moving. Lock the 2x4 to a bracket on the inner door to keep that door from moving also.

13. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

If it were me, I'd buy a stack on sheet metal gun cabinet, and screw it to the studs. Done. I doubt any kids could get in there. If they even KNEW what was in there. I'm not sure why anyone would want to put them in a cabinet like that, and then cable lock them all together. That'd be tough to get them out when you wanted to use them. Also, keep in mind that the stated capacity of those cabinets (and safes) is maybe 1/2 of what they say. Unless you're willing to lay it on it's side, and dump the guns in so you can stomp them down. I have the stack on 10 gun cabinet, and it struggles to hold my 6. And that's after a lot of fiddling around making multiple new barrel rests…..

14. indy36

indy36 New Member

15. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Right now I've got 7 rifles/shotguns and 7 handguns.

Neither.

The closet takes up the entire backside of the room. There are two sets of door with two doors each. They are regular doors that swing out and there's a ball type latch at the top that merely provides a slight resistance so the doors stay shut.

That's what I've been looking at today. Torn between two of them right now.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into them.

16. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I'm not familiar with Homak. But I'm not loyal to stack-on, either. I'd check them out. For 7 rifles and 7 pistols, a 10 gun cabinet definitely will not cut it. You need 2 of them, or a much bigger one.

17. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I would think I could get all the pistols to fit on the top shelf.

18. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

You sure could, if you use the "dump & stomp" method….. other than that, if you want them nicely spaced out so they're easily removed and put back without dinging them, not a chance. IMHO

19. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Nah, I have them in gun rugs. I already measured and they should fit, snugly. I would never just pile them in there. And the 7th gun is my carry gun so it won't be in there much if at all.

20. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Do the doors have, or could you put on, handles?

http://safety1st.djgusa.com/wcsstore/ExtendedSitesCatalogAssetStore/images/products/HS170-FS.jpg

Or you could get something fancy:

http://www.specialtydoors.com/obscure/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/spoked/Gallery78.jpg

You could just use a couple of eyelet screws up near the top, and a long hasp lock if you don't mind the industrial appearance.

Of course the hinge pins are still on the outside.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014