I need some information for transporting firearms on (international) flights.

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by MobileMarine, Jun 16, 2011.

1. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

Im a bit confused on the transportation of firearms on airplanes . Im sure with some restrictions you can take them with you anywhere in the usa , BUT how would you carry your safari gun to a big game hunt in africa ? One of my customers told me that you cant carry on international flights . Im sure other have wondered the same . Im also sure the title got some attention :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2011
  2. Car54

Car54 New Member

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yes, you can have firearms as checked baggage on international flights. Howsomever- you beter touch second bases first.

You are not EXPORTING a firearm, since you will be retaining ownership of it, and returning with it, but you WILL need to contact US Customs ahead of time, and get a Form 4457 (Certificate of Registration of Personal Effects Taken Abroad). You will need that twice- first for South African Police as proof of "registration", and second, to get your gun BACK into the US.

Website for TSA and for your airline will have some info on firearms and ammo.

4. Civilian

Civilian New Member

I talked to a safari pistol hunter while at work and I had similar questions. What he told me was that he simply had a company that was able to get him the permits he needed and they handled the transportation of the weapon.

5. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

If anyone needs a 4457 I'll be glad to send you some, You will need to go to a Port of Entry (international airport, Canada or Mexico land border) with the weapon and have Customs examine the weapon to ensure the S/N are the same as on the 4457 then Customs will sign and date it.

Scubie

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

See, all you need to do is ask! God I love this place!

Now I've got to go and set up my deep African savanna safari! :p;):rolleyes: