I need some advice on a lever action rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by saviorslegacy, Sep 30, 2010.

1. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

I was at the flea market today and I saw a Winchester 1894 carbine chambered in 30-30. I have always wanted a lever action rifle and this one seemed nice. The rifling was in good condition, but it had some surface rust. I really don't care though, I prefer a gun that needs a little bit to bring it to life.
    Anyways, so I was looking at this lil beauty and noticed it was for 275$. I almost made him an offer for 250, but I do not know much about these guns so I thought it safe to wait. The gun made it through the day w/o getting sold and the dude is a regular so I will see him on Saturday more than likely.

Anyways, I need to know a few things about this weapon.
    #1 Is it a good gun?
    #2 Is the 30-30 round cheap/inexpensive and abundant, or am I going to pay through the nose for some fun with this rifle?
    #3 Is 275/250 a good price for this weapon?
    #4 What are some things I need to look for to clue me in that this gun is no good?

Well, thanks again to all of you gun gurus!

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

First, the value of any gun is based on its condition. Better condition, higher the price.

$275 sounds like a very good price. The Winchester 94 in 30-30 is the most popular deer rifle in the US, followed by the Marlin 336.

Ammo is reasonable. You are not going to find CHEEP milsurp ammo, but every sporting goods store in the US has ammo.

Quirk of most Mdl 94s- the steel alloy used for the reciever will not blue. They were iron PLATED, then blued. If rust has penetrated the plating, you will not be able to touch up bare spots with cold blue.

Unless you have a 94AE (angle eject) it is hell to put a scope on a 94, due to top ejection. But it is intended as a 200 yd or less rifle, so scope is arguable. Take a light, look at the bore, and as much as you can see of chamber (rust). Offer him $200 in cash, see what happens.

3. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

The eject is on the side and thr rust is not bad, just minor surface rust.

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

If you're wanting a decent close range brush deer rifle, go for it. Be aware that a 30-30 is at it's best within 150 yards though-especially with iron sights. It sounds like it is an angle eject so it's "friendlier" to mounting a scope than older examples of that model.

5. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

I've never seen a side eject Winchester 1894.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  6. stalkingbear

It's called angle eject-it still comes out the top but at a sharp right angle so as to be scope friendly. They came out with the angle eject in the latter 80s if I remember correctly.

7. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

I am not familiar with lever action rifles... that is why I asked for help.
    Wait.... it still comes out of the top?
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIZpy3D938M&feature=related]YouTube - How to Unload a Lever Action Rifle[/ame]
    I thought it came out to the side, like it is shown in the video.

8. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The 94 is a great little carbine. I'd offer him a couple hundred buck and see where it ends up. $250 would be a good price.

The surface rust can be taken care of with some steel wool and oil, most likely.

You can always coat it with Gun Kote, CeraKote, or Aluma Hyde 2 to make it look fresh, too.

9. c3shooter

Well, pilgrim, the rifle in that video IS NOT A WINCHESTER 94 !!!!

So, yes, it ejects differently. Looks more like a Marlin, but is not a 336.

Make, model, and caliber will be stamped on the gun. There were also lever action 30-30s made by other companies- and the legal name for the caliber is 30-30 Winchester (developed by Winchester, so they got naming rights) It is possible to have a rifle made by Savage, and marked 30-30 Winchester. Getting ALL the words stamped on the gun is important.

Let me see if I can find some pictures.......

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  10. c3shooter

This is a Winchester 94- it loads in the side loading gate, but ejects out of the top.
    winchester94action.jpg

11. c3shooter

This is a Marlin 336. Like the Winchester, it loads in the side, but the frame is solid at top, and it ejects to the side.
    marlin336big.jpg

The angle eject Winchester 94 looks the same as the regular 94, but will have AE in there somewhere, and does not eject straight up, but at an angle.

12. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

I had both they are great guns but if I feel the Marlin 336 is the better gun the Mirco Groove barrel put super tight groups.

13. stalkingbear

If it's like the rifle in the video it's not a Winchester model 94-it's a Marlin model 1894-there is where the confusion arises. Marlins do have a conventional steel receiver and could be touched up bluing wise. Marlin model 1894s don't come in 30-30 however.

14. Recon 173

Recon 173 New Member

I own a Marlin in .44 magnum and I love it. People used to hunt small bears with the .44 magnum lever action saddle carbines. Over all, it's a good hunting gun and a decent carbine for personal defense needs too. I know some cops who swear by their lever action carbines.

15. freefall

freefall New Member

I have owned one Winchester 94, currently have several Marlins. I find them to be more accurate and better QC.

16. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

I was only able to talk him down to 260. I did end up buying it. It is a legit Winchester I believe and the shells eject out of the top. It is in pretty good condition actually. It just looks like some idiot stored it improperly causing it to get a little rusty. The rifling looks new abd the wood is in fantastic shape.

I went and bought some ammo for it later..... expensive!
    I'm about ready to take it to the range to see how she performs!

17. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Nice! Wally World usually has .30-30 ammo for a decent price.

18. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

I would rather buy ammo that costs me a couple more dollars and support a local gun shop full of people that I like than go to that freakin capitalist tyrant of a store! If every Wal-Mart would burn down and no one would get hurt I would not shed a single tear.

Also, the gun shoots just fine. My father fell in love with it. lol
    I am trying to figure out how old it is. The front site is hooded and the rear sight is.... weird. It is also a carbine but w/o the saddle ring. Instead, it has a scope mount on its side.
    I'll take some pictures here soon.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  19. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I think it is Sportsmans Guide that has bulk .30-30, too. I don't order from them anymore because of their weird shipping restrictions, but bulk .30-30 might be a good deal.

20. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I love my Winchester 94. It's a blast to shoot.I like the Marlins (have a 1894 in 44 mag.) too and the are a little more scope friendly but the range on most lever rifles I don't see much need for Glass anyway. I'dreally like to find a lever rifle in 38/357 to add to the lever collection. THe fall gun shows are popping up around my neck of the woods so it shouldn't be long :)