I need opinions and experiences...

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Fuzzyinline, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Fuzzyinline

Fuzzyinline New Member

Ok, so as all of you know, or if you dont know... im about to buy me a gun... for boar hunting, and hog hunting... maybe a deer every once in a blue moon... so today i looked at a couple of guns... and ive narrowed it down to 3 different guns... either a browning 27o, a remington 7oo in .308, or my original choice the FN heavy .308... let me know what you guys think, or if you have any experiences with these, or anything... :confused:

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

308 is a better deer round than 270. altho chevy avalanche trumps the 308. my wife nailed a really big doe tonite with hers...

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

The Chevy definitely has the stopping power although a single use weapon! :D

I'd choose the .308, and the Remie 700 is a fine platform.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

i wonder if more deer are killed by cars than guns each year??

maybe we should be using trucks instead of bullets hmmmm

5. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

Sounds.... Expensive.

From what i have heard, unless you will be hunting boar with a few buddies, you want a semi-auto rifle for boar.

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I also would go with the 308 hands down. Not that there is anything wrong with the 270. But I have hunted many deer and boar with the 308 as well as other calibers. But it would make you and excellent choice for what you want to do with it. And there are several great rounds to choose from for boar and deer. Also anywhere you go ammunition is available for the 308 rifle.

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

That FNH is some piece of hardware!! If you have the cash, I would not hesitate at all. .308 is a fine caliber for what you want to do w/ the rifle, and as stated above, .308 ammo is easy to find. I've never been a fan of the .270. I have a 7mm Rem mag and a few 6.5's, so it was never on any list of "needs".
    Having said that, I do know many people that love .270 and are very successful hunters. I actually bought a Browning BLR in .308 for hog and whitetail hunting. The faster cycle time really was the big factor. I do hunt solo allot.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  8. Fuzzyinline

Fuzzyinline New Member

alright, so im definately going with the .308 caliber.... but which should i go for? i have the money for the FN... HOWEVER, im leaning more towards the Remington 7oo.... it does the same, just, a whole lot cheaper.... whats everyones opinion? Anyone have any experience with this Remington 7oo?

9. Sniper03

I would go with the Remington. For the money you can have a fine trigger job done on it or replace the factory trigger for another adjustable for less money than the FN. I have mine set at 3.5 lbs. My Remington CDL in 7mm Rem Mag has shot a .447 group at 100 yards. And it is not a heavy barreled rifle. So accuracy is not a problem with the 700s. Subtract the bullet diameter .284 from that and you can see that is a fantastic shooting rifle. There are other good bolt rifles out there but you can not go wrong with the Remington if you can purchase it for the right price!

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got a remington 700 xcr compact tactical. very nice rifle decent adjustable trigger aluminum bedded action with free float barrel out of the box accuracy is well below sub moa at 100yds. ive turned sub .5 moa with handloads using 168grn sierra bthp handloads

accuracy is not an issue. took two deer this year with it.

11. Fuzzyinline

Fuzzyinline New Member

the gun i am actually looking at is the Remington 7oo SPS I think its called... in .308 caliber... PROBABLY the gun im going to get... its very nice... i plan on sticking a leopald scope on it, along with a bipod... soooo, the really only big thing that drove me away from the FN .308 was the hardness of having to clean it... thats really the only drawbacks of the FN...

12. Sniper03

After finding you are getting the SPS you will not have to be concerned at all about the trigger it has the X-Mark adjustable in it. It will make you a fine rifle. I have a 40X Remington LE Sniper Rifle in 308 and it has the adjustable trigger in it. It is a fantastic rifle and accurate. Good Luck!

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

if ease of clening is a factor then your gonna love a bolt action clean the bore wipe down the bolt lube and done. i only take mine totally apart if it gets a lot of dirt sprayed on it. the sps beats the fn hands down accuracy wise altho you wont be firing surplus ammo out of a sps. with 147grn surplus my xcr is lucky to get 4 inch groups at 100 yards. you will need to handload as they only eat higher grain higher grade bullets when your talking accuracy.

14. 556plinker

556plinker New Member

.308 no decision making necessary.....wide variety of ammo, surplus,custom, etc. and the ballistics are great. I've never had a deer get up after meeting with a 165 gr spire point interlock out of my brittish enfield. I couldn't ask for anythign better and LOOK at what you are buying!

15. powg

powg New Member

hog gun .....anything gun

ive got a remington 7600 pump .308 syn ....love it ..do it all rifle .ive ''tacticalized ''it with an ati pistolgrip stock ,talley mounts ,nikon 3x9,trigger job ....its already free floated, ....very accurate. 10 shot steel mags .poor mans ar -10. hogs,deer ,elk,zombies,aliens ,liberal democrats....it will t.c.o.b.