I need ideas for a fundraising auction item.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by JPGunworks, Jan 5, 2012.

1. JPGunworks

JPGunworks New Member

I'm not soliciting donations, I'm requesting ideas.

Every year the small private school that I graduated high school from, holds a fundraising auction to help keep tuition costs down. I'm spending $200 to donate an item, and I want it to be shooting related. I was thinking something like a "shooting sports" themed basket; A hat, shooting club membership, magazine subscription, and instructional video.

I want the FirearmsTalk community to weigh in: What (in the $200 range) would get you excited enough to bid on at an auction? It's got to be kind of generis as reloading press is only going to draw the interest of a select group of individuals at this thing.

:D Any Ideas? :D

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Maybe a paintball starter kit if that's big in you area.

I really can't think of much that would draw interest from across the board, shooting sports kind of only interest...shooters, with exceptions of course.

Beretta has some bad azz clothing, overpriced in my opinion, but it may interest a wide range of people.

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Try 2 or 3 Mosin Nagants (7.62x54R). They are about $70-$100 each. You would just have to find someone with an FFL to transfer them to the winners. You may be able to talk the local gun shop into doing this for free if they know what it is for.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  4. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

$200 = 8 yearly NRA memberships, the rest of the stuff you mention comes "free" with it. There ya go. Problem solved :)

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

You get a shooting club membership with an NRA membership? :eek:

6. fisher79

fisher79 New Member

Yes I would say a range membership with maybe a one year NRA membership for an adult and a child. That way maybe some folks that are on the fence about firearms might fall our way. Plus your money goes towards the people that fight for our rights.

7. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Well... its a club, and you go shooting while being a member. Does that count? :confused:

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

no!!!!!!!! :)

9. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

10. JPGunworks

JPGunworks New Member

I like the conceal class idea, I'm thinking about that with a range bag, ear plugs, eye pro, targets, a club membership, NRA membership, I dunno. Maybe I can pick up a .22 plinking rifle really cheap. Does anyone know if it would have to go through an FFL in Wisconsin? Can it just be a private party sale?

Maybe I'll go with a coyote hunting kit. Calls, camo, and decoys. I've got until the end of the month to come up with something.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

With it being an auction, I would go through all the proper channels just to be safe. Really, I wouldn't put an actual working fire arm up on the block, just to avoid any problems.

12. Junior966

Junior966 New Member

How about the NRA membership and a gift card to a local sporting good/ gun shop...That way it can be used for that individuals wants/needs....

13. JPGunworks

JPGunworks New Member

I get the feeling that people like to bid on something that they can see. Prepaid NRA memberships, shooting club fees, and magazine subscriptions are great, but they are all kind of two dimensional. Maybe I could throw in a Cigar box style, pistol display case. Thank you for the ideas though. I guess I have to decide on something soon, the auction is at the end of the month.

14. orangello

orangello New Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  15. JPGunworks

JPGunworks New Member

The air rifle isn't a direction that I had thought of, but it is quickly growing on me. Not only does it appeal to the parents interested in teaching their kids firearm safety, but I can also think of several people that would love to snipe yard bunnies, in town, from the secrecy of their garages. Throw in an old Marine Corps Rifle Marksman data book, NRA/Junior NRA membership, and gun club membership and it’s a pretty good looking package deal. Thanks for the idea Orangello.

16. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

For a lot of reasons, mostly lawyer crap, I would not include a firearm or air rifle. You could put everything else in the basket, 1 year NRA, glasses, hearing protection, general cleaning kit, gift certificate to local place for ammo, local training session, and a DVD.

Leave it to the buyer to decide what they would like to shoot.

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

A year and a half ago my sons took the Hunter Safety Course where the instructor had put up a Savage model 110 for any youth that scored 97% or higher on the test, my oldest son won it, my youngest son missed by 2%.

The rifle was a big motivator for them to score high. While I recognize the potential liability of having a rifle or air rifle as an auction item, it would be the parents who are bidding on said item, wouldn't it? I agree that having an actual rifle out there on the bidding block would generate a lot of bids, if it was a firearm (as opposed to an air rifle) the parents would have to complete the paperwork for the transfer (and yes, you do have to do the FFL paperwork for this) so the parents are accepting ownership of the gun.

JPGunworks, There is probably an gun store near you who might consider donating something. Maybe even a lot of things. Canvass the local gun shops and see what you can generate. Nothing ventured nothing gained!