i need help picking my first gun.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by savjuda, Jun 25, 2013.

1. savjuda

savjuda New Member

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum. I just received my permit for my first gun and i'm unsure of what gun to go with. I know i want a .40 caliber gun, because i have shot a 9mm and feel I would out grown it. The guns that i have looked at were the Beretta Storm, M9 and Sig p220. Yes I am aware that the M9 is a 9mm. Well if anyone has any suggestions or questions let me know.

Thanks
    Sav

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I am nearly 52 years old, 6'4" and north of 275 lbs, I have not outgrown my 9mm's yet.

The only pistols I choose to feed are: 22lr, 9mm, .38 spl, .357m and .45 ACP.

Lots of choices out there today. How do you plan to use your first handgun? Range, CCW?

3. readygirl

readygirl New Member

A bad dude like you should skip the puney little .40, and just get a DE.50 AUTOMAG.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

just curious, but how does a person outgrow a 9mm?:confused:

5. readygirl

readygirl New Member

I dont know, the U.S. ARMY hasn't yet..

6. Axxe55

i wonder if i have outgrown my 22 rimfire pistol?:eek:

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I just pray you mean a permit To BUY your first gun & not a CARRY permit :(
    Sick to fukin death of guys saying they just got a permit to carry & have no idea of what gun to buy :confused:FYI- I've been shooting & carryring (not sayin i've had a permit that long) for over 40 yrs & i STILL ain't outgrown my 9mm's!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  8. readygirl

readygirl New Member

This guy outgrew his .40

Attached Files:

9. savjuda

savjuda New Member

i apologize for the "outgrowing a 9mm" comment. lol I forgot to also factor in the price. I don't want to spend over $600. I will basically use my gun for the range. I plan to be at the range, 4-6 times a year. I have two uncles that were police officers and enjoy shooting. They each come up to Jersey just about 3 a year. So I am planning on shooting with them when they come up. I used the analogy about buying a car. I don't want a Hyundai and can't afford a Bentley. So i want something in between that i can afford.

10. readygirl

readygirl New Member

SR40......I have only had time to put 1bx thru it. But if it runs like my SR9, it will be a keeper. In that price range you will have alot to choose from. Do you prefer hammer, or striker fired , do you like a mag safety....?

11. Axxe55

first of all, welcome to the forum and stop by the Introductions Section and say hello and tell us a little about yourself.

second, we like yanking the chain a little on a new guy! personally i shoot a lot of different handgun calibers, from small to large. i like anyone else do have my preferences and there is nothing wrong with having a preference. but i enjoy shooting just about anything.

third, if you really like the Beretta M9, they do make it in a 40, it's called a Model 96. best suggestion, go hit the gun stores and see what fits your hand the best. try out a lot of different ones until you find what suits you.

12. fordracing

fordracing Member

M&P . Comfortable. Good trigger. Made in USA

13. fordracing

fordracing Member

Axxe gives good advice. You have many choices.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  14. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Is this going to be a carry piece?? Personally I say get a a g19 ( I can hear the boo hiss and feel the death looks ) but its hard to beat a g19 for reliability, parts availability, 9 is cheaper to shoot.

You won't out grow a 9. It's going to take you a good many years to actually be able to shoot. I mean really shoot.

Maybe look for a used sig. Deals are out there just have to look a little harder.

15. Axxe55

i like the M&P pistols. the ergos are similiar to the SA XDm series to me.

16. Axxe55

CT, but what if the G19 doesn't fit his hand? not saying anything against Glock by anymeans, but i have found others that fit my hand better than a Glock. as that i have been shooting for many years, it's easy for me to adapt to a different pistol. might be a little hard for someone new to pistols though.

this is why, i usually never recommend a particular brand of any pistol unless asked about it and i have experiance with it. what fits one person might not fit another. a person needs to find what fits them well, because the better it fits that person's hand, usually the more accurate they will be.

17. savjuda

savjuda New Member

as of right now i don't care if it is a hammer or strike fired. I would like this purchase to have all the safety features.

18. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Good point.

19. savjuda

savjuda New Member

not to carry. Thanks guys are all are great help. i will fill out info.

20. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

I think you need to cool your jets a little. It is starting to sound a lot like you are jumping into this blind.

Go to a range that rents and try a few out.

Now take a breath and relax a little. The people here have tons of experience and are more than happy to help, but you need to be willing to listen and accept the advice as well.