i need another longgggg range rifle :)

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by 500mag_guy, Dec 5, 2010.

1. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

hey guys i want another good long range rifle. Im not sure what to go with though.

List of Calibers i already have:

223 rem
    22-250 rem
    270 win
    338 win mag
    300 remington ultra mag
    375 h&h mag

any ideas on this one?

Thanks

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

3. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

the thing with the lapua though is that everything about them is extremely expensive and my RUM will out shoot it :D

4. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

5. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

How long is long range? How many yards distance maximum? What do you want to use it for? Hunting only? Target only?

6. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

7. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

well i would be using it for hunting mostly and for max distance we will say 1000 to 1500 yards.

i got the perfect chance at a cow elk at 850 yards this last hunting season and when i say perfect i mean PERFECT! no wind about 50 degrees and overcast. i got down with my 300 RUM came up my 15.5 clicks and held right at the top of her back and let her fly. it went right over her back and she flinched and ran up a few feet and stopped again. i dropped another one in the tube and held right on. Bang! DROP!! so im addicted to long range now. :D

any caliber big or small.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  8. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I don't think it is sporting to be taking pot shots at the range you are talking about but that is me and not the point of the thread so back on topic. If you have the money to build the rifle and you have the shoulder to take the beating to get to a point of knowing that rifle inside and out and in many different wind and light conditions. Then I shall point you towards the 338 edge 338 Laupa mag performance in a less costly dress.

The 338 edge is simplely a 300 RUM necked up to a 338. AAAAAAAA yes Remington makes the 338 RUM but the 300RUM is 1/10" longer giving you more powder which equals faster bullets.

I have a buddy that build on on a Rem 700 SS action with a 32" kreiger barrel McMillan A-4 stock and a nightforce 8-32x56mm scope. All total it cost him right at $3k for the package. He still can't hit the broad side of a barn.

338 Edge - History and Development

10. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

well i agree with you on the "pot shots" at long distances 100% but... Thats not what i do. I bought my 300 RUM in February and shot it every chance i had meaning 3 to 4 nights a week. it took me 2 months to find the perfect load/ powder for the bullet i wanted to shoot. after i worked up my load i dialed it in made a ballistics chart for my exact bullet coming out of my gun. then i shot out to 600 yards feeling very comfortable about it. putting 3 shots in about the same hole at 300 yards. when you shoot this much and work this much on the perfect load for a rifle its not called "pot shots". when you have a chart telling you your raise its not a "pot shots". "pot shots" are a guy seeing a animal at a long distance, not ranging it, pulling a gun up, holding 20 feet over its back and shooting 15 times until the animal runs off.

but not the point of this post ha. what is the ballistics of the 338 edge? and does the 1/10" make all that much more difference because i go for the max powder with accuracy being my #1 priority. and i have never got accuracy out of jamming as much powder as i can in a case just so i can get a few more fps.

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

There is the story behind it at the link provided by the builder and developer of the round.

I am glad to see that you are taking the time to do your home work and know what your doing. We get plenty of guys in here that bought a 10/22 and not want a 1k hunting rifle because they can hit a car door at 100 yards with a 10/22.

Have you also thought about the 300 AI I seen a guy shooting on at 1k on Quantico and he was turning out groups in the single digits for size. I do believe it is a 300 weatherby with that goofy weatherby double radius blown out to a tad longer body with a 40deg shoulder. That thing was a monster.

12. HeavensGateOutfitter

HeavensGateOutfitter New Member

long range rifle

I came on here looking for a semi-auto long range gun--being clueless to long range hunting--and got beat up pretty bad:D So I quit posting and just started using the search key and reading everyones opinions.

I read a little about the Huskemaw scopes and shooting systems, and then realized they were out of my price-range. But my dad bought one, and man those things are nuts. I've never shot long range before, but I know the importance of squeezing the trigger slowly and holding steady from competitive archery. Just using what I watched on t.v for wind adjustment--the turret and magnification are common sense--I hit foot square rocks anytime I want too out to 700 yards, and tried one shot on a large rock--4 ft square--at 950 and hit it close to the middle; the slight wind kicked the dust up so I couldn't pinpoint the hit. So maybe you wanna try that.

13. fixxer

fixxer New Member

Then go out and set a new world record and take it from Craig Harrison! He is the current sniping distance world record holder and used an AI chambered in .338 Lapua; shooting confirmed kills at 2470 meters not once, but TWICE. I can't even see that far with a spotting scope!

14. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

well going off the handy ballistics chart that was posted for the 338 laupa

338 Lapua: at 500 yards it drops -36.75 inches / it has 1993 fps / and 1763 of energy

300 RUM: at 500 yards it drops -21.8 inches / it has 2249 fps / and 1816 of energy

So your going to tell me that the RUM cant keep up if not out preform the Lapua?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  15. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

not to be boring, but i don't see a .30-06 or a .308 in there. i think every collection should have one or the other (or both). they may get out performed by some rounds, but they are both dependable and trusted at long distances and have been for many decades now.

just a suggestion. if you were looking for a little fancier, then be my guest. it's your collection we're talking about here.

16. fixxer

fixxer New Member

No, I'm stating the record and referring to the AI rifle system with which it was set. I was trying to steer the conversation away from a bunch of ballistic charts comparisons (yet again) that mean nothing when the platform they are chambered in cannot deliver the accuracy. Here's my point: A lot of rifles are chambered for .308 Theoritically, the round can be shot to 2800+ with about .430 BC. That is all well and good. If you put one of these rounds into a AI, or even something as inexpensive as a Rem 700 that's been correctly bedded and has good optics, then you have one hell of round. On the other hand, the .50BMG is about twice as powerful as any other round, even the .338 Lapua or Ultra Mag with a BC of somewhere around 1.0+. Put it in a cheap platorm with a scope/sights that cant hold zero and all you are doing is making expensive "bang" noises and harassing targets. I think it would be cool if you built a rifle system that could shoot any of these rounds at sub MOA consistently.

17. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Fixxer I do believe that is what we were talking about.

It is good to know the cartridge you want when starting a build. If you don't know the cartridge you can't order the proper action, barrel, optics or stock for that matter.

There are plenty of actions out there that will fill the bill for this build. But, building a 6ppc on a long action like an 03a3 or remington 700 long actions isn't going to do you any good either.

AI is not that big of a deal really. Do you know what the current IBS 1000 yard record for group size is? Lets just say the guy that shot it can put all of them in the middle of your face at 1000 yards. That group was 3.048" at 1000 yards. That is .291MOA that is some mighty fine shooting right there.

Long range shooting is not just about who has the most money to spend of $5k rifle and $5k optics. It is about who can read the wind who can read the terrain who can do the math and who knows their equipment.

There are also plenty of guys out there that can pick up just about any weapon system and be amazingly accurate with it.

I shoot with guys that have rifle with blue printed actions aftermarket barrels with $1500 scopes. They will all that can't pull some of the shots I pull while hunting with them. My rifle $600 the only thing I changed was the trigger and firing pin. I had optics that cost 1/3 of that theirs cost they can't hit a ground hog at 275 yards and I am dropping them one shot one kill at 350 yards.

18. fixxer

fixxer New Member

Yeah, I'm definitely with you on that. As cited in my example, a good 700 in the right hands will outshoot a .50BMG. I still maintain that the .308 is as good a round as any to hunt with. I shouldn't have used the cheap platform BMG as an example. I don't even think a cheap .50BMG exists. Anyway, I would throw in my $.02 and say go .308. It looks like you don't have any larger NATO equivalents in your collection. It's not the LARGEST bore out there but it is very capable of LLLLOOOONNNGGG range. I am also interested in watching/hearing about someone building a 700 or a 70 Winchester action accurized rifle (two of my fav's) and feeding it .308 HPBT's. Maybe it won't outshoot the .338 Lapua or Ultra Mag (all things being equal) but it will get out there.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  19. 500mag_guy

500mag_guy New Member

ha well the way i see it i have a 270 which is a step below the 30-06 but it will do the same things. and i have a 300 RUM which is a huge step above the 308 or 30-06 so i guess i never really thought about them but now that you have brought up 308s i do remember hearing good things about the 308 for distance. I guess where im at right now id like to take a step up and go bigger but maybe later think about a 308. Have you ever looked into the 408 Cheytac? Ive done some looking and they seem to be incredible. id like to shoot one before i think about possible buying one though.

20. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Just because you can punch paper with a 308 at 1k yards doesn't make it a good choice for hunting at that distance. It is just not fast enough at that range to give proper expansion on high quality hunting bullets and big animals like Elk or Moose.

If I were to load a 308 with a 178gr A-Max and a 41gr charge of Varget that is running 2400 fps that gives me exactly 525 yards to shoot. At 525 yard your energy is slightly over 1000 ft lbs. That is what I was always told you should have to create a clean kill on any game animal. Granted in 99% of all hunting that will take care of just about any game animal on north america. This is not factoring into it either the 87 inches of drop just to put that in perspective that is a drop of over 7' That is like aiming at shaq's head and hitting him in the foot. that is a lot of drop.

the goal of combat is not the same as hunting. In combat If I hit the guy in the chest I am good with that. I don't care if he lives or dies really. if I hit him he is out of the game that is what matters. In hunting I want to make sure that I get the one shot one kill no matter what.

I have more respect for a game animal than ali ackba hodgie that is trying to kill me and my kids. If I put a bullet in his ares I am ok with that. I am not ok with that on deer or elk or any other game.

Fixxer you say don't look at the ballistics that much but you have to. Because ballistics is what kills in reality.