I need a reliable pistol

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by freighttrain64, Jul 19, 2013.

1. freighttrain64

freighttrain64 New Member

I am looking for a pistol with enough punch to take somebody down in a home invasion. I am looking for something from a 9mm and up in caliber. I have shot and can handle anything from a .22 up to a 454 casul. I have a fairly large hand and am looking for a full length pistol. Any suggestions?

2. freighttrain64

I have looked at all the glocks but I'm not sure on what model and caliber.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

What is your budget?

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

5. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Go to a large gun store with a broad selection of guns, or a gunshow, handle each model and find the one that feels the most comfortable in your hand, not only the grip, but where the safeties, and magazine release buttons are located and trigger location. Once you find one that beckons you, read up on this and other forums and ask away. Everybody has opinions, what one likes others may not. What is it you prefer? ;)

6. freighttrain64

Thank you for the help

7. freighttrain64

I don't really have a budget

8. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

My hands prefer CZ-75 type handguns with hammers. Some people like strikers and trigger safeties. There are many good ones out there, pick out several you like the feel of, and then ask more questions. :)

best of wishes in the shopping for one you like.

9. freighttrain64

Thank you for all your help

10. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

You are very welcome. Have you already held some autos you like?

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Tell the salesman at the gun store what you just told us. Ask him to show you different guns and ask a lot of questions. You'll find the right one.

12. freighttrain64

Thanks man I appreciate it

13. freighttrain64

Yes I have held the p226 sig the glock 20 and a para ordinance 1911

14. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

All of which are very nice handguns. The Para-ordinances are too large for my hands, unless they make single stack versions????

15. freighttrain64

I don't think they do. I'm heading to cabelas tomorrow to talk to someone and see what the suggest. Thank you very much for your help :)

16. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I would also look at the Springfield xd/and m's, Kimbers, H&Ks, and every other brand of handgun they carry. Most at Cabelas should be a good gun to own. And take a grain of salt with whatever preferences the counter guys suggest. While filling out papers on my own purchases, I have sat and listened to the salespeople offering advice on how to shoot a 500 S&W etc, for someone's very first handgun for Alaska, etc, and about fainted on what they were telling them. Many salespeople at the gun stores I have been to know as much about guns as nuclear physics.

17. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

If you can handle it, my personal favorite is a 10mm. A Glock20 would be great at home

18. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

A shooting range with a good selection of guns you can rent will be helpful also, nothing like try before you buy

19. freighttrain64

I looked at that pistol and I liked the feel and the price on it I will look further into it tomorrow

20. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Also take a look at the cost differences and availability of 10mm, 9mm, 40s&w, and 45acp, and see what they have and what they cost and decide if you can afford the most expensive, or just the least. And know to really use a gun in self defense, train train train, or in your case, Freighttrain, Freighttrain, Freighttrain to get comfortable with the gun and know it inside and out fully. Unless you can do that, you will forget a lot of things when someone is kicking down your front door.