Firearms Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am 24 and have been getting into gunsmithing. Redoing stocks, Rebluing barrels that sort of thing.. People are now starting to give me guns that they say dont work anymore. I just received a Marlin 03030 (model ) 30-30.(would like to know also if that is correct model because I cant find it) The lever was stuck and I didnt try to force it but I believe it is because the bolt is stuck. I have now removed the lever and trigger guard plate and have cleared the receiver completely of parts besides the safety, locking bolt and bolt. I have tried sticking just the lever in so it lines up with the notches on the locking bolt and bolt but the bolt refuses to budge. Any suggestions? I have been soaking the receiver in oil to hopefully loosen it up??? (((((((((I just got loose! But I still cant loosen the receiver from the barrel....I have it soaking in oil to hopefully loosen it up is this wise or no??/

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Oil is a lubricant, and quite frankly doesn't do much for binding metal parts once they're bound up. Also, if you got oil on the stock, the subsequent swelling of the wood could cause issues. A couple of heating/cooling cycles should be tried, as metal expands and contracts and that could aid the oil in making its way between the tight parts. Heat it up slowly, and cool it down slowly, and don't go over a couple hundred degrees. You just want to get a tiny bit of separation and go from there.
And...Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
21,822 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Welcome......thought I was going to see a punchline about needing a 12 step program :p

BTW, good luck with your problem

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
welcome to FTF.....already expressed more gunsmith classes or take it to someone that knows.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the help guys but I dont want to take it to a gunsmith. these guns were free that I am messing with. I am not a rich person by any means and I am doing this for my own enjoyment. I go to college and work when it is available.
so if anyone can help me it is greatly appreciated. If any one has questions for an electrician I can help you there but this is not my forte so to speak but I want to learn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts