I need a good scope

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by tacticalhero, Nov 8, 2012.

1. tacticalhero

tacticalhero New Member

Can anyone refer me to a good scope for my .30-06 browning x-bolt? I'm use leupold mounts

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i assume its a target/ hunting rifle? the terrain where it is generally used? if its a hunting rifle to be used in thick woods like that of NYS. look for a 3x9 or 4x12.
    if for antalope, elk in the more open woods. probly best to get a 4x16. unless you have great eyesight.

look to brands such as nikon,vortex,burris for great glass. bushnell 3200 series are pretty good, and leupold is good but you tend to pay for the name. burris and nikon are much cheaper, and generally have better glass at least IMO.

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Right now, for my money the best scope out there is a Vortex. I put a 4-12 x 40 on my 06 and haven't looked back.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Leupold Vari X III 3.5 x 10 x 50mm, it is what I have on my X Bolt 308.

5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Depends on how much you want to spend.
    I'd suggest a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40,they're on sale for $399 at several places.For a hunting scope,Zeiss glass is about as good as it gets in that price range.

6. COLDdeadFINGERS

COLDdeadFINGERS New Member

Check out this video on YouTube:

[ame]http://youtu.be/V5LgFS__EDg[/ame]

7. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Seriously,Leatherwood scopes are pretty low quality optics.
    I've looked thru the bottom of coke bottles that had clearer glass.

8. COLDdeadFINGERS

The new m1200 I have is not the top end for sure I agree but it is a nice piece. And for what it does it is on target no math

9. COLDdeadFINGERS

Check out this video on YouTube:

[ame]http://youtu.be/Kz612Q0QF1Y[/ame]

10. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

11. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

That is the scope that I have on My Browning BAR .338 WinMag.

A truly superb scope at a very reasonale price.

12. tacticalhero

tacticalhero New Member

I forgot to mention I will also be using it for long range shooting if that make any difference to ur recommendation sorry for that in advance

13. NickySantoro

NickySantoro New Member

OP,
    What do you consider long range, in yards?

14. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

Here, take a look at this BSA at Midway. Have one. Yea, its a BSA, but read reviews on it. Decent glass on it and quite suitable for long range with your rifle. Think this Friday, Midway will sell it for less than what you'll see below as one of their daily reduced price specials. Only gripe I have with mine, was rings included with scope were too high and replaced them.

Also, Midway has a Simmons Whitetail Classic scope in a higher power that is a popular seller for them and generally well liked by its owners. It too will be reduced in price the next few days.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/96...side-focus-glass-etched-mil-dot-reticle-matte

15. tacticalhero

tacticalhero New Member

1000 yards give or take! N quick question, do u think a .30-06 will have ne luck gettin up 1500 yards?

16. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

You will want a Mil/Mil setup for distance shooting.

Nothing suggested yet will be adequate.

Bushnell Elite 6500 6-24x50 with the g2dmr reticle. Best buy for your dollars

17. cbibb

cbibb New Member

Betterget a good mildot and an apt for your phone and start to reload for consistent loads 1k is quite a poke with a factory hunting gun good luck

18. tacticalhero

tacticalhero New Member

Thx much appreciated

19. tacticalhero

tacticalhero New Member

Thx much appreciated

20. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The term "good" has to be tempered with price. There are good $200.00 hunting scopes, there are good $30.00 rimfire scopes. Scopes can get as "good" as you have money to spend. Give us a price range and we can fix you up with a good scope in that range.