I messed up. Need help

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Dahamp2003, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Well, I posted about the Rock Island tactical 2011 VZ grips I purchased. It came yesterday from Buds Gun shop. I went to the local shop, and they were giving me tons of crap trying to get it. I noticed when I glanced over it it had tritium night sights in it, which I really don't mind, even though I prefer the fiber optic front and 2 dot fully adjustable rear. Also, the rock Island logo wasn't running down the slide like it's supposed to. It had one small logo in frontof the hammer on the slide. Not a big deal. Everything else looked ok. Well, I signed for it and took off out the door, got home to clean it and realize WTF,this isn't even the right slide. The 2011 VZ grips version has a full length bottom rail (which it does have), and front slide serrations which it didn't have, the fiber optic fully ADJUSTABLE 2 dot rear, and the logo down the side. I don't want this gun. Also, I broke a damn grip screw right off by only hand tightening it down. I mean there was barely any torque at all on it. Sheared right off. My question is this: am I screwed because I signed for it already? Also, there's a small gap between the barrel and the opening on the slide (ejection port). Definitely doesn't look normal. Also my. 45 can brush would barely touch the inside walls of the barrel when I tried to clean her. WTF? What should I do? I contacted buds gun shop, but I kind of feel like they are going to tell me to jump off a bridge. I can't literally disassemble the whole gun on the counter to Check every little part. And I didn't notice the few things that were off with it until I got home. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Pictures attached

Attached Files:

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Defective screws and problematic barrel is manufacturer issue. Contact their cs for this stuff.

Its one of the dangers of buying online and buying from low end maker. Odds are much higher of getting lemons. They are cheap for a reason.

This doesn't mean all guns made from low end makers are bad and all high end guns are good out the door ( I shouldn't have to explain that but I do as there will still be angst over my opinion...)

3. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Dahamp, I am unclear if Bud's sent a gun you did not order, or if you mistakenly ordered the wrong gun. If Bud's messed up, they should make it right. If they don't, there are plenty of ways to pressure them to do the right thing. Better Business Bureau, State's Attorney General and any consumer organization Bud's belongs to. If you accidentally ordered the wrong gun, then I would very politely ask Bud's to credit the value of the gun to the purchase of a new one when I return it.

As far as the broken parts, don't send it to the factory for repairs until you decide to keep it. You should solve the problem with Bud's as soon as possible after the sale. The longer it goes, the more likely Bud's won't work with you. It's more likely they won't take it back the more work you do on it.

When talking to any retailer, be honest and ask directly for what you want. If you want a refund, ask for it. If it's an exchange, explain why the previous order was wrong and specify exactly which gun you want and how you want to exchange it. An employee won't always offer to do the right thing and sometimes you have to push for what you want. Be persistent and calm. The squeaky wheel gets greased!

And if your local gun shop gives you grief when doing a transfer, drive farther to a different shop. It's possible if they hadn't been giving you grief when you were trying to inspect it that you would've noticed the differences and not accepted it wrongly.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  4. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Thanks. No I ordered the right gun, it just didn't come as advertised. I ordered the gun in this picture. I received the one I took pictures of above. I'm just worried because I didn't catch this in the store I'm gonna get stuck with it. The other problem is its a rare gun, in the sense that they aren't readily available online. I don't necessarily want a refund, as that still won't get me the gun I thought I bought, if that makes sense.

Attached Files:

5. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

BTW, in the description it does state fiber optic sight and 2 dot fully adjustable rear. But nevertheless this isn't the slide that is supposed to come on it either.

6. TekGreg

Well, then contact Bud's, tell them they shipped the wrong gun and ask how they want to take care of the exchange. You can see in the pic you posted that those are fiber optic sights and not night sights. With the difference in the slide as well, you should have no problem a making your point.

7. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Cool. Thanks for the comfort haha I could just see dollar signs wasted. I'll keep everyone informed of buds reply

8. OldEagleEars

OldEagleEars New Member

What you have is a Rock Island 2011-Tactical single-stack Night, a new model for 2014 that comes with Mepro night sights and no forward serrations on the slide. The small logo on the left of the slide has been standard on Rocks since last summer (though on their website they show the Tac 2011 VZ with the big billboard and forward serrations). That also seems to be the gun in the Bud's advertisement. They didn't send you what you thought you were ordering and you apparently didn't inspect it before accepting delivery. They should have no argument about shipping you the correct pistol but read their material carefully to see if there is anything about substitutions in the event of previous sale.
    BTW - that small gap at the barrel hood isn't really anything to worry about. If the hood moves when you press down on it, that is a problem and indicates that the lugs aren't seating properly.
    Good luck with your situation.

9. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Thank you for the clarification. That makes sense, although they should update their website. I did inspect it when I picked it up, but honestly, I didn't notice the serrations until I got home. The night sights I were ok with, and the logo, but as simple as it seems, when I realized the serrations were different that was kind of like the last straw in it not being ok. It really changes the look of the gun. The whole reason, aside from the bottom rail, that I purchased this one instead of a cheaper Tac FS 2 model, were the serrations. Either way, I want the different sights. Even if they say that's how it comes now, I'm going to ask if they can 1. put an older slide on it, 2. change the sights back to fiber optic/2 dot, or 3. just take the gun back. Bottom line is I ordered a gun that came in a different configuration. If they want to say that's how it comes, then they need to update their webpage. I'll keep ya'll posted. Thanks again

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Bud's is a clearing house.
    They are in with other gun shops.
    Make sure it came from Bud's and not another shop (like Southern Sports).

The way to tell is to get back with the shop that did the transfer. The information should be in their bound book.

11. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

What's a .45 can brush? I've never heard that phrase before.
    Good luck with your return.

12. therukh

therukh New Member

They are cheap for a reason. I'm with you all the way!

13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'd go back to Bud's.

They may simply exchange it outright.

But I feel you can field-strip the pistol,

and look at the components, before you sign for it,

why not?

I'd also be on the lookout for any other issues with

ordered stuff through your LGS. IME, when they give you

guff, it's specifically to wear you down, so you won't inspect

it properly. I'd keep in mind that this might be a LGS problem,

for future orders, till you feel you can trust them better...

14. TekGreg

When I held my FFL, other dealers would do this because they were upset the customer had ordered it from someone else and only transferred it through them instead of ordering it through the dealer and allowing him to make the profit. I always told people to avoid dealers that say they will transfer a firearm and then harass the customer that does so. There's no sound business sense in offering a service and then beating up the customer who takes advantage of it.

If Bud's is a clearinghouse of multiple styles and models, then they should either make it clear in the header/footer of each web page or each listing that models may be substituted, otherwise most State Consumer Protection Agencies would protect the consumer to get exactly what he ordered. If this is the case, Bud's needs to be clearer. However, I imagine even doing that is not going to stop people from returning product that doesn't resemble the photo they ordered from.

15. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Ok, Update guys. I finally got in touch with RIA, (I'm guessing because of the NRA shot show last week, and initially the owner/CEO whatever said that I ordered the wrong gun, blah blah blah. I sent him the link to his own website that said differently, and the link to about 5 youtube videos of people unboxing theirs that had the exact same model number etc on the side of the box. Kinda hard to argue that. Furthermore, the configuration I received it in doesn't even exist as something you can order, so I basically said look, either you're website isn't updated, Buds website isn't updated either, or you're mistaken. How can 10 other people receive the configuration it is on your website, which is what I ordered, then you tell me that doesn't exist?

What solved the problem was copying my emails and sending them to the master gunsmith and replacement parts guys. The master gunsmith said that didn't make sense, they way I described it, because it doesn't come like that. I said I know. That's why I'm contacting you. After sending him my receipt of sale and serial number, he told me I had the correct frame, but the wrong slide (Just as I said from the beginning!!!) Anyways, once we got that settled, he sent me a prepaid shipping label and it's already en route to RIA. Said he'll fit the correct slide to it and correct all the other problems. Said they stood behind their products for life and it would look and function better than new once I got it back. That I wouldn't be disappointed.

Overall, I was a little irritated with response time, but we'll see how it is when I get it back. I'm happy it's getting fixed though. Will keep you updated.

16. nightal

nightal New Member

Looks to me like someone at the factory, make a mistake and put the VZ grips on this pistol.
    as for the roll mark, billboard on the slide, most folks like the new one better.
    I would keep the pistol, you got the Nite Sights free, but not the front serrations.

http://us.armscor.com/products/tac-2011-single-stack-night-45acp

17. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Close, but the other way around. They put that slide on this pistol. I actually ordered the VZ grip version, and the serial matched the model number he said, so I know it was the slide messed up and not the grips messed up. Thing is, I don't like night sights. It will primarily be for daytime target and maybe some competition/3 gun type shooting, so I prefer the fiber optic. Also, the serrations look badass. :p

http://us.armscor.com/products/tac-2011-vz-45acp

18. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

hopefully the gunsmith throws in a few extras for all your trouble. Maybe some free mags

19. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

New gun should be here Friday. Not sure if it had any extra mags but after I sent emails about a lack of communication he sent out some free ammo. Is 45, and looks like 12 pounds of it. Anyone know how much that is or have a scale they can set a box of 45 acp on so I'll know how much I'm getting. I am happy about that.

20. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

I figured 12 lbs should be 150 rounds?