I know you think that the UK in general, has screwed-up gun ownership issues, however.....

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by tac foley, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Guest

only if the sniper were on the winning side of the conflict!

2. tac foley

tac foley Well-Known Member

As indeed you can see.

I few years back I was on boards.ie and trying to advise a new air pistol shooter in SE Cork about the necessity of trying a selection of pellet weights and sizes in his incredibly expensive new Olympic-style air pistol. I offered to send him over a hundred of each of three different diameter pellets - each differing only by 0.1mm, but sufficient in such a precision arm to tell the difference.

Of course, I was being naive, since air gun pellets in the Republic can only be bought on production of your firearms certificate showing that you are entitled to buy a tin of pellets [500 in a tin, BTW]. To send him pellets I would have to send them to a registered firearms dealer as 'live' ammunition', with all the attendant importation licence paperwork accompanying them to demonstrate the legality of the transaction......

Or, in his case, somewhat less.

To whit, ONE hundred pellets.

That's right, he could only buy, or retain in his possession, a hundred air gun pellets at a time.

I don't know how he got on with that - driving into Cork city to buy a hundred pellets at a time, presumably out of a tin kept for him in the gun store, who knows?

Wambli and ellis36 like this.

3. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

That’s just crazy...

4. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

And it's basically BB's for an AIR PISTOL!

ellis

Wambli likes this.
  5. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Well, you can shoot your eye out... :D

ellis36 likes this.
  6. ellis36

That's what Mother always told me. "Be careful! Don't shoot your eye out!"
    Thank goodness I never did!:)

ellis

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  7. tac foley

Bearing in mind that you'd need a Firearms Certificate in the RoI for a BB gun [over 1 Joule, y'see], I don't recall ever having heard of one, let alone seen one, either.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    ellis36 likes this.
  8. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

That’s not correct. This is the same press liberal slanted nonsense that have us the “DC sniper” a few years back. He was not a sniper either. He was just a douche bag criminal with a rifle with a scope. A true sniper is a member of a recognized military or law enforcement agency and as I sad, they are PROFESSIONALS that undergo a highly demanding selection process and then go though tons of highly technical training before they ever make it out to the field. The term should never be used referring to some dumb *** amateur that got lucky with hunting rifle and murdered a real soldier.

9. tac foley

Sadly, the horse has long left the stable door. These days, EVERY butt-wipe with a rifle who decides to kill people with it is a 'sniper'. Until a REAL sniper blows his sorry a$$ into the next street.

Oldoutlaw and Wambli like this.
  10. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Exactly, and it annoys the crap out of me when folks accept it out of ignorance...

11. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately we're dealing with the media and a lot of people who wouldn't know the difference between a handbrake and a coffee break so the media classify anything that may have some black paint or camo wrap on it with a scope as a sniper's rifle firing deadly ammunitions out to a thousand yards with laser like accuracy and most of the sheep will believe them because it was on the news or interweb. People are that stupid and too lazy to chase up facts for themselves even when presented with links to facts.

ellis36 likes this.
  12. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

2 Joule i think in N/I, same procedure to get a .44 Magnum as a air pistol.

tac foley likes this.
  13. tac foley

However, you CAN still have a .44 Magnum revolver that still looks like a normal handgun, rather than the monstrosities we are lumbered with over here on the Mainland.

And BTW, I'm not interested in knowing your politics, but I'm here celebrating the life of John Hume, the man who truly bit the bullet and sat down with SF and, IMO, THE inventor of the peace in Northern Ireland.

'There has to be another way that this'- and he went on and invented it.

RIP Mr Hume.

14. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

John Hume, was one of the few that was respected by people in both sides of the community. RIP John Hume.

tac foley likes this.
  15. tac foley

Hey, All, next time you go to your local gun store, and stock up on a couple of thousand rounds of different ammunition, remember this -

Air Rifle ammo limit
    Hi,
    Got a .22 pcp air rifle licenced a few weeks ago.
    Problem is only 500 pellets allowed on licence.
    Obviously I have informed my FO [Edit - firearms officer in local Garda station] that won't work, as pellets are generally sold in 500 count tins.

He advised me to send him a letter addressed to my Garda superintendent explaining the problems involved.

Any advice on good points to mention in the letter?

Also rifle needs to be fed pellets until it/me find the pellet make, weight and head size that suits it.

I also need to have different types of pellet that will each be better suitable for the use. As in, different pests, rats, rabbits, squirrel, pigeons, rats etc.

Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]

Response form fellow poster -

I had my first air rifle licence issued with a limit of 100 pellets.

In my letter besides including they could not be bought in quantities of 100 and providing links to this, I mentioned that they were not a dangerous item in their own right and were basically the same as BB fishing weights which can be bought in any quantity by anyone.

I also mentioned the distance to my nearest RFD and how it was just basically more economical and practical to be allowed buy them in larger quantities.

Folks, the iggerence is profound, and is getting no better as time goes by.

primer1 and ellis36 like this.
  16. SK2344

SK2344 Active Member

I could Care Less what is going on In Ireland or UK or any of those Countries! It's about time we concern ourselves with what is going on in other Foreign Countries! These are Treacherous Times in our Country and I am all for removing all our Troops from these Foreign countries which are at War within their borders and bring Our Troops Home to protect the Safety and security of The American People and protect our Boarders!

17. tac foley

OK. Point taken.

Please put me on your ignore list.

I live in the UK, and I'm president of the Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland, so naturally, as a keen shooter, I like to share the misery around somewhat.

I will not, however, stop posting stuff about shooting in the UK and RoI, even if the only other person here who is interested is Manta.

Sure, I can be shut up, but that, friend, is not up to you.

Have a great day.

manta and ellis36 like this.
  18. ellis36

Keep on keeping on, tac!

Speaking only for myself, what you post provides welcome information, opinion and perspective from your part of the world about your part of the world.

The subject of this thread and the information provided by you shows how far anti-gunners, given political power, will go. And since the mask has been stripped off elected officials in some of our cities and states, seeing the foolishness that comes out of their mouths daily, it would be very easy to imagine the very same kind of laws regarding gun ownership eventually passed here.

ellis

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    tac foley and manta like this.
  19. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

I truly enjoy learning how the shooting sports are pursued in all parts of the word, please continue to share your experiences.

tac foley, manta and ellis36 like this.
  20. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

But this is an open discussion forum on the web. Plenty of members from a variety of spots around the world.

Beyond which, there's this simple point: the threat to the survival of the RKBA, and our very lives (based on that), hinges on the degree to which temporarily-hired destroyers in government choose to disregard the essential protections and the law when it comes to the armed citizenry. (Of course, in the U.K., it's subjects and not citizens, technically, but still.)

Worthwhile in the extreme, to learn how the threats exist in countries around the world, insofar as greater understanding of those threats aid people everywhere in protecting and defending their own liberties and fixing what's broken in their governments.

You might think less of such knowledge than others. Which is fine. But please don't blow discussions up simply because you, yourself, are not all that keen on acquiring such information about the problems folks are having on the RKBA elsewhere. It's all part of the threat and the march to a "one world / no armed citizens" utopia that the destroyers amongst us would love to create. We ignore that at our peril.

tac foley, SK2344 and ellis36 like this.