I Know Nothing About LPKs

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by TheSadPanda, Aug 19, 2013.

1. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

The standard lpks are the same for all calibers except for 9mm IIRC, I'm no expert, but it looks good to me.

That lower is awesome BTW.

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well it has upgraded parts like the pistol grip and ALG trigger. If you want those things it may be worth it but you could get an LPK or LBK from PSA or others for less money and upgrade parts later if you want.

Nice lower by the way!

4. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Thanks guys! They claim these parts are forged, which I guess makes them stronger than the average LPK? The Grip I will change, but I think I'll keep the trigger, and I love that it comes with a good Ambi-selector switch. it's Badass ;)

5. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

So if i was to keep everything but the grip, would this be a decent deal for the LPK?

6. sputnik1988

A standard PSA LPK is $60, add the price of a lower and it comes out to $160-$180. So yeah that's not bad, even without the grip.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  7. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Ahh i think you guys are missing the price here. The LPK ALONE is 135 with the special ambi selector and not totally crap but better than normal trigger. Lower is 175 by itself.

8. sputnik1988

Ohhhh....:eek:

I looked up the trigger, it's just a standard mil spec trigger with a $2 trigger job done on it.:p

But the Safety selector runs about $60 so it's not a terrible price I don't think.

The lower itself is a little too expensive in my opinion, but it's just freaking cool.

9. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

I think ill get the lpk then. The lower is perfect for me. I love the resident evil games. Hell, my avatar is the T-virus. The nerd/firearm enthusiast onme can not pass this up.

10. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Although it seems all LPKs are the same, they really aren't. I've see too many pictures of broken DPMS bolt catches. Also, my friend broke the tabs off his alloy lower, when he was trying to install a triggerguard with an out of spec DPMS roll pin.

I'd highly recommend spending $10 extra bucks and getting at least a PSA (who sources their parts from FN's suppliers), Daniel Defense or G&R.

11. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Thats kind of what i was trying to figure out, what makes some lpks junk and others good. This one they are claiming to be forged, but i couldnt find any info if that was a desired feature or not. It seems like this would be one of the better sets, but iust dont know for sure

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

$175 for a stripped lower you love is not extravagant. So it's $50-75 over a plain jane lower, that's a drop in the bucket when you look at the cost of the complete rifle. You'll be glad you got the rollmark you really wanted plus it's the first thing your friends will look at when you say "how do you like my new build". If you don't get what you want, over the years it'll bug you until you finally sell it.

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Usually it isn't specified whether lower parts kits use forged or billet components (besides, the type of steel is more important than how it was shaped). I just checked at BCM and their Stag, RRA and DPMS LPKs don't say. No doubt it depends on the part, a trigger or hammer will be different than roll pins and detents.

Even BCM's complete lower doesn't specify much about its LPK.
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Lower-Receiver-Groups-M4-AR15-s/117.htm

I'd get a good kit and not worry about it too much. Two LPKs I've used that I didn't like were DPMS and DTI, the Stag, ArmaLite and Daniel Defense were much better. The kit you're looking at sounds good with the upgraded parts (if you like those upgrades). I think you want it so just get it and enjoy building your new lower!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  14. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Heck yes i want it! :p i just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything obvious i should be avoiding. Thank you all for the help! Payday is wednesday :cool:

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Ah, a little enthusiasm... That's what I want to hear! :D

16. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

Dude that's a sweet lower and the LPK includes all the upgrades you'd probably want to the do anyway. Add spikes buffer tube assemly with an ST-T2 buffer and Magpul stock and that will be a really nice lower! I have a build with ALG QMS trigger and it's a nice improvement over most stock triggers.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spikes_Tactical_6pos_Milspec_Carbine_Stock_Kit_p/sp-sla500r-k.htm

It's out of stock now but get on the notification list as they do come back in stock often enough. There's other places around that may have them in stock now.

You may want to order a spare LPK before you even start the build as they are always good to have around and it's easy to launch the pivot pin detent into oblivion on your first build never to be found. Then you’ll be pissed you can’t finish it till you get more parts, I know this...don't ask how :eek:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  17. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Thanks! I actually had already chosen that exact buffer kit :) and i was going to do a CTR stock. As far as assembly goes, i just need some roll pin punches and a hammer right? Any specific hammer?

18. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Bolt stops from any maker will break if you snap the hammer against them. NEVER pull the trigger on a bare lower w/o controlling the hammer. It will snap the bolt stop with ease.

19. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

That seems like important info to have. Thank you!

20. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

That is my go-to combo. Have it on four builds now with the enhanced buttpad.

For the hammer get a two sided one with metal/brass on one side and nylon on the the other. Other than that the roll pin punches and you're good to go for the lower.

Really, really good advice/reminder!!!