I just purchased this olympic AR good entry?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by kvega15, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

2. doose

doose New Member

That is my question also, how much did you pay? Also, what is the intended use of the rifle? HD? SHTF? Plinking? Are you going to take some classes/get training with it?

3. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Depending on your area. Hope you didn't pay more than 800 after tax.

4. kvega15

kvega15 New Member

Haha well replying to the two of you i got it in good OL CALIFORNIA ;) were everything is complicated came out 824 tax.. My intention was to get the smith Wesson MP-15 but they were sold out and when I asked when get more they were like saying oh we don't know.. Not the best customer service for a gun shop but What can you do in Cali can't get an AR Around the corner well I got the gun just to have man... Shoot pigs at my ranch self defense at the house plink just all around gun I pick it up next Friday so I'll see how it does.. I'll keep you guys posted man thanks for no negativity and sorry about spelling if it's jacked up im doing it from my cell..

5. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

My condolences to living in cali. That price doesnt sound too far out of line for where you are. Hope your purchase turns out fine.

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Let us know how she runs and how well she holds up . Runs some brass and steel thru it and make sure it will shoot everything . Have fun with it !!!

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I know hoe it feels to want something NOW but settle for something else because what you want is out of stock.

$824 is a very high price to pay for an Oly. You don't have to make due because you live in a communist state. The internet is full of high end manufacturers chomping at the bit to sell you a upper or complete rifle. Ordering an upper from a quality place like BCM or similar, then picking up a Cali legal lower from your local FFL would net a very nice AR for around $100 more. The difference in quality being much larger than difference in price.

I don't say this to be harsh but for the next time, there will be a next time :)

8. Retaks

Retaks New Member

Im gonna defend the shop a little even though im on the other side of the country. The shop i go to had a M&P 15-22 i was gonna get. I went up and they already sold it. No big deal just order me one. The guy called and when he got off the phone he said "Its up to you if you wanna order it somewhere else and have it shipped here or have me order it for you, but i was just given atleast 6 months before i can get another one." It seens with the elections all AR and AK style rifles are selling quickly.

9. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Sounds like he just wanted to dump the Oly on you. It's not a terrible choice, but there are better out there. My suggestion, since you have your serial number lower now, start looking to upgrade to the configuration you REALLY want. There are a lot of sellers out there looking to pay their bills, so deals are to be had. Just try to make sure you get cali compliant parts.

10. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Where I Cali are you?

11. kvega15

kvega15 New Member

Uhmm there will be PROS and CONS on just about any rifle.. I'm new to this so I apologize if this particular rifle doesn't meet your guys standards.. I guys I'll just have to wait see how it turns out I'll post pictures when I take her out guys get it next weekend do PM me if you guys interested in being updated im excited Soo I'll just have to wait and see but thanks guys for your honest opinions and comments appreciate it..

12. kvega15

kvega15 New Member

And sorry for horrible grammar in a rush to reply and it's from cell..

13. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Biggest thing to remember? You have gun snobs just like you have car snobs. You buy it, you shoot it. If you have fun, then it did it's job. Value is relative to the person that spends the money. Keep us updated.
    Most on here just want to advise for future purchases, and the internet isn't conducive to sounding nice. Take nothing personally, as it is all pixelated opinions anyway.
    Keep us advised on whether you like it or not.

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Over $800 for an Oly, and a stripped ORC at that, does seem high though I don't know how much the CA ban affected that. I agree with the others who said learn from this and do a little better when you buy your next AR because you can get more gun for that price. Take your time and really get your money's worth next time. Always best to ask questions before you pull out the wallet.

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

No reason to be apologetic. Like I mentioned I can relate to wanting something and wanting it that very moment.

My comments were not out of snobbery I am just looking out for a fellow enthusiast because you will want another. They are fun to shoot and seem to multiply.

$824 is no small amount of money. In fact it can get you an AR from a well respected manufacturer that doesn't duck dodge and divert when confronted w/ questions dealing w/ their less than stellar track record but charging top tier prices.

Oly is not know for consistently producing a properly functioning AR. I really hope you received a properly built AR and it serves you well.

16. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

^^THIS^^

824 after CA Sales tax is not a bad price for your Oly.

FYI - you have entered the realm of most accessorized, tweaked, and tinkered with platform in the world of guns. If your like most of us, you'll double that purchase price adding toys to it in the first year. Have fun!

Tack

17. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

Hey man, you worked hard for that money and you made a decision and bought what you wanted and no one should be able to make you feel bad for that. Congrats on your first evil black rifle and as others have stated there will be more >:-D as they are damn addictive!

18. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I don't want to sidetrack the OP's thread or start a debate but $824 is a bad price to pay for an Oly regardless of sales tax. Sales tax doesn't even have to come into play. Bypass sales tax for $20< in shipping costs.

All it takes is finding a good FFL w/ a reasonable transfer fee, timing, and a little patients. Hell, I purchased a complete BCM upper w/ pinned Battle Comp for $475 shipped. The muzzle devise alone would have cost me around $200 (pinning included), BCG $139, upper $399, charging handle $45, and MOE hand guard $30. I think it even came w/ a rear MBUS so add another $50. Add a $269 BCM lower and $50 MOE stock and you have a complete AR.

The DD was $1000 (complete upper) w/ the same muzzle device a $370 rail, and stripped DD lower. If you strip all the extras like the rail and muzzle devise the price would be fairly close to what the Oly cost. If you know ARs you know the huge jump in quality b/w them.

It's no fault of anyone. I've purchased things to find out later that there was better in the same price range.

Not trying to make anyone feel bad. I apologize that people are making the mistake of thinking that's what I'm doing.

19. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Lego's with a trigger!!!