I just ordered a Taurus Pt99....please say something nice:-)

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by MotorG20, Feb 21, 2010.

1. MotorG20

MotorG20 New Member

I know Taurus has people that either love them or hate them, but I've had excellent performance form my PT1911, so I wanted to give the Beretta clone a shot:D. I've read the archives here and it seems the yeas outweighed the nays for this pistol. I just wanted to know from anyone that has one, how are the adjustable sights on these? Do they hold zero well? I got the adjustable PT99 model so I can tune in any weight bullet.
    Be nice or I'll cry:mad:.

MotorG20;)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  2. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

I'll tell you that my cousin has the Taurus Beretta clone in 9mm. I don't know what model it is, but for some weird reason no one can fix the rear sight. Every time he pulls the trigger the pin block somehow pushes the rear sight skyward. No one can figure out why it happens and I don't know squat about them so I stay out of it. Other than that, it goes bang.

I can say if it is at all like what it clones it will be a great firearm. I used a 96 when I went through the academy and loved it.

3. MotorG20

MotorG20 New Member

Uh oh, I feel the tears startin':(. I hope the sights are ok on mine:confused:

MotorG20

4. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

In all fairness I don't think the problem was with Taurus and that model, I think there is something wrong with that particular gun. Like I said no one knows what is wrong with it. If it was that common, there is a good chance someone would have seen it before.

You'll be fine. Imagine if you had just bought a Glock G22 and then saw all the hate mail their getting on the Glock section right now :cool:

5. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

I've tried the PT99 and it performed like the Beretta. Both are known to be extremely reliable and accurate.
    I read that the Taurus PT99 resulted from Beretta's licensing Taurus to build Berettas. Once the contract ended, Taurus came out with their clone. Some say the Beretta is machined or finished a little more smoothly. But who knows ?
    You've got yourself a good gun. Hope you have the big hands to fit it.

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

Nobody should have to apologize for their choice in firearms. Enjoy your new pistol when you get it!

7. MotorG20

MotorG20 New Member

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it:). I can't wait to get it!!!!
    Hey Rentacop, if I can get my hans around a Glock 20, I'm sure I'll be ok with the PT99. The Glock 20 grip is like a brick.

MotorG20

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I've owned multiple of both the Taurus and the Beretta. I actually prefer the frame mounted safety on the Taurus. The only thing I know to watch out for (on the Taurus and the Beretta) is cracks forming in the locking block. This was a known weakness early on but I suspect they use a stronger piece now...

9. Dave_Bone

Dave_Bone New Member

I say congrats! It is not possible to own too many guns, is it?

10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

my wife would disagree. But I keep proving her wrong.

11. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

Just ask Nancy Pelosi, she'll set cha' straight.

12. MotorG20

MotorG20 New Member

Yeah, I've heard about the locking blocks. Some say to change them every 5000rds? It would take me a while to put 5000rds through it, but I'll definitely keep an eye on it every cleaning.
    Thanks for the input:).

MotorG20:D

13. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

I just went out to specifically purchase a Taurus. I love it. Then again, It's hard to F*ck up a revolver. My roommate as a 9mm Millenium PRo and it ALWAYS goes bang.

14. MotorG20

MotorG20 New Member

BTW, I have about 600rds of Wolf 115gr FMJ steel cased 9x19 ammo on hand. I used it in a FEG Hi-Power with no problems. I guess it should be ok in the Taurus??? Any input?
    Thanks.

MotorG20

15. OklahomaRuger

OklahomaRuger New Member

I have the .40 version and love it...very nice to shoot and perfectly reliable.