I just got a Ruger Vaquero and joined SASS!

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by Marthor, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Marthor

Marthor New Member

I almost went with the 45 Colt, but after researching cowboy action recommendations, I hear a lot of people switch from 45 to 38 special... 1) Less recoil 2) Faster competition times 3) Cheaper ammo

Here's my new Ruger Vaquero 357 Magnum 4.62" barrel...
    [​IMG]

I also just sent in for my Single Action Shooting Society (SASS) membership too! I'm piecing together a "Man With No Name" costume for halloween, but most of the costume parts can be used at the SASS events too.

I would describe Cowboy Action Shooting as a lot more artistic than a semi-auto or a double action. I've picked up a number of guns this year, but this cowboy gun is giving me a lot more excitement that the rest did. :D

This is so much fun! Love working the cowboy action and practicing it with both hands, gun spinning and fast draw.

2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Congratulations on the excellent purchase, Marthor! I've seen a few of the SASS matches before and if I had a Ruger Vaquero, Colt, or Colt clone I'd sign up in a heartbeat. I just ordered a Pietta 1851 Navy percussion revolver from Cabelas. "Nothing like the smell of blackpowder in the morning".

3. Marthor

Marthor New Member

Here's some Halloween pics with my new Vaquero!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Now get yerself a 1911 (blued of course) and try the "Wild Bunch" that SASS puts on.

5. Marthor

Marthor New Member

I've got a Remington R1 that I hear is legal if you black out the white dots on the sights. I don't want to blackout the sights on my R1 though. I also don't want to buy a 97 shotgun. It's the only one legal for Wild Bunch, but it breaks all the time. I don't want to get into that if you have to do any shotgun repairs.

I finally got my Rossi 92 yesterday! It was the last thing I was waiting on. Now I have everything I need for the basic SASS matches. I also got the Stoeger coach shotgun and another Vaquero. When I move out to LA next summer I'll be joining the original local group "The Cowboys". :)

6. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Good looking holster rig ;).

7. bongsao1

bongsao1 New Member

sweet, have fun with it and good luck.

8. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Very cool, congrats. :cool:

9. cuate

cuate New Member

SASS is Fun !

Did SASS a long time in several places in Texas, barrel of fun and met great people...I and others had two pistols in the matches, mine both Ruger Vaquero .45s, a Model 1892 Winchester lever action .45Colt, & a Winchester Model 1897 12 ga. pump shotgun...

I never hit the big time in those matches, but I hit the targets like a champ,
    my reflexes weren't the Champion type...

SASS matches stress safety to the fullest and try it, you'll like it !

10. ultimate-soldier5

ultimate-soldier5 New Member

marthor, where did you get the poncho!!!! i need one!!!!!

11. Marthor

Marthor New Member

This one is a halloween costume from amazon for $50.

I'm on the lookout for a real wool one that would be more durable, but all the better ones on the internet are more expensive.

12. Marthor

Marthor New Member

Here's a pic of my gear all coming together...
    [​IMG]

13. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Marthor,

That is a nice Ruger Vaquero! And looks like you almost have everything together to GO! Nice Pics! I have a couple of friends that shoot SASS and are very good in travel competition. I guess it is a blast! They let it slip and advised it was addicting! They have made several attempts to corrupt me into joining them. Even to and including offering to loan me guns, ammunition, clothes and all. That is all I need is another addiction when it comes to weapons and our shooting sport. But I certainly could see how it grabs ahold of a person and would be an absolute BLAST!