I just came across a old 1911 that is in need of some tlc

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by cotex, Mar 17, 2014.

1. cotex

cotex New Member

It was my dads and I was thinking new barrel, beaver tail, hammer, the works then finally give her a paint job, I gravitate towards Wilson combat lots, I was on brownells for like four hours. What should I look at replacing first to make it bad ass?
    I liked the barrels with comps on the end...
    Tex

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

personally, if it were mine and had been my father's pistol, i'd leave it as is. i wouldn't change a thing. clean it, oil it and shoot it and enjoy the memories of my father having owned it at one time.

but that's just me and what i'd do. it's yours to with as you please.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Axe, ya hit it outta the park with the post above. +10000

4. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

Agreed! That's definitely what I'd do.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Firearms Talk mobile app

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Agree with all ^^^^ :cool:
    BTW- Do you have a sister named Tam? :confused: :p

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Sometimes an old 1911 left as is can be worth more than your modifications cost.
    Then when mods are finished, the gun isn't worth a hoot.

Reconsider, and buy a RIA to tinker on.

(A 1960's basic Colt with no frills can go for over $1200 easy)

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

Agreed with all the above.

But its your gun I suppose so do what makes you happy.

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I agree. I wouldn't change a thing! Well, if it needs a new recoil spring, sear, mags or grips that's ok but I'd still hang on to the old parts.

9. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Basically I agree with all of the above. What year and how old. If your talking a 70's gun or later do what you want. If it is a 1920-1960 model I would rethink any changes for sure. I'm getting ready to chop up a 1984 SS Colt first run in SS never fired until I got it last year 1911. If he carried it in the service it would be blasphemy to change it.

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Pics of the gun in question could help. Knowing the manufacturer, year, configuration and condition help us to give better informed opinions.

Oh, and barrels with comps are of limited usefulness on a 1911 in .45. Bushing comps are the worst and scream loudly at 1911 fans. Also, avoid most 1911 parts that say "drop-in". Barrels, bushings, safeties, and beavertails should be hand fitted to the gun.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  11. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

First---tell us what it is. Some old beater built on an Essex frame and a no-name slide? Have at it.

Your dads WWII gun that says "S mfg. co." on the side and you have a picture of George Patton
    giving it to your dad? That one you want to insure for 6 figures.

Is it a 1911? 1911A1? Commercial? Military? Made by? When? All questions that should
    be considered before you decide to "make it badass". BTW---those comps on 45 barrels don't
    work.

12. k9guy

k9guy New Member

If it is an old gun leave it alone is it a colt you could ruin the value of it

13. cotex

cotex New Member

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1396911883.746566.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1396911899.484037.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1396911916.309941.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1396911933.861423.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1396911984.916181.jpg
    So what do you think now?
    Tex

14. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Now I am 100% that you leave it as is.

Yup.... best left just like it is. It's a beauty with character.

Chew up something else, like a Philippine gun. Maybe your gun made it to the Philippines and would like company.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

with M1911A1 US Army markings on it, i wouldn't mess with anything on it. messing with it destroys not only it's potential value, but it's heritage and history. some guns just deserve to be left in their original and unmolested state. that sir, is one of them.

16. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Bingo

Given the condition and no other info, it does not appear to be 2k gun but the legacy alone is worth preserving.

Tack

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Someone did mess with it and modified the grip safety and put a commander hammer on it. I'd put a military front sight back on it, and have a good 1911 smith put the right grip safety and hammer back on it. Then get it some period appropriate grips. If you don't like it and want a custom gun, you'd be able to find a 1911 collector who would pay appropriate prices for a properly restored military collectible. Then you'd have money for a project gun.

18. JonM

JonM Moderator

It looks like a parts gun which is a shooter not a collector.

Enjoy it at the range.

Without the serial can't tell ya when the frame was made or by whom. But the frame is likely an ithaca since that's where fja stamped each ithaca as their initial qc was so bad every one had to be inspected. The stamp fja was different from ithaca to ithaca and fja only had time for remington and ithaca due to this.

It could be a remington but I'm not familiar with the rearsenal stamp on the trigger guard.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  19. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Get a hold of Turnbull.
    The hammer and grip safety are a "parts swap" and should not have altered the frame.

Turnbull can research and restore to original without losing value (maybe add some value). They have parts to restore it to "as factory new" (that is , before arsenal rebuild).

20. cotex

cotex New Member

Well then I guess I'll put this one back in the safe. :(
    Maybe ceracoat the 870 first,

Tex