I Joined the Club

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Shihan, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I just got myself a 1911, even if it is only a Rock Island. You have to start somewhere.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's just a shame that Shortly after taking pictures I had an unfortunate Boating Accident.

2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Cool! Looking forward to a range report. I've heard good things about RIA. :cool:

3. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

Hey at least you have one. You leave me druiling. Very nice pick up. Congrats on your new baby

4. orangello

orangello New Member

"Just an RIA"? I really like the look of that pistol, simple & clean.

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Nothing wrong with an RIA as it's a good basic 1911. I'll offer my usual advice, shoot the heck out of it before you think about any tweaks. The first accessory I always recommend is a few quality mags...

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

RIA is a good entry level gun. It's a good, solid, platform and you can build on it pretty easily.

There are things to make it better - but I agree with NGIB in that you need to get a few good quality mags and shoot the hell out of it to see what it "needs".

After 600 or 800 rounds, then let's talk about what to do first.

Range Report Time!!

JD

7. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Well done.

Enjoy.

And post a range report when you can.

8. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Congratulations on yer First 1911, This is how it all starts. You bring home the first then start eyeballing the second and so on :eek:

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Now you're ours.....all ours. There is no turning back. Nice pistol!

10. Shihan

Range this weekend. I will let you all know how it goes if I king find the gun from the bottom of th ocean

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

NEVER, did I say never, say "...even if it is only a Rock..."!

You bought a 1911 pattern pistol!

Gump! You're a god damn genius! This is the most outstanding answer I have ever heard. You must have a ******* I.Q. of 160. You are ******* gifted, Private Gump.

Do you realize that you have stepped up to the pistol Jeff Cooper opined, "The old 1911 continues along its way to replacing the dog as man's best friend."

Now that you have number one [​IMG] when are you going to buy number two?? wc.gif

[​IMG]

12. Shihan

I feel most excellent with this fine piece of Weaponry. You have made me very happy. What would be a good sight upgrade? I don't need anything fancy, would like it to stay pretty close to the way it is now. Just something I could align a little faster.

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Wheeeeeeeeeeeewf!

There you have a problem, my friend, because the RIA needs to have the sights milled off and a dovetail, or similiar, type of sight mount milled in to be able to change the sights.

This is a gunsmith should install type of request.

And don't open the "Fixed Sights, Adjustable Sights or Night Sights" can of worms - just talk to some people you know & trust locally.

This place has extreme prejudice in this arena....:rolleyes:

14. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Go to Brownell's as there are a lot of options. The only hassle is the front sight is staked on and you either have to buy a staking tool or have a gunsmith install new sights. You should be able to get a set of basic 3 dots for around $30.

To give you the most sight options, you'll need to have a dovetail slot machined for the front sight...

15. Shihan

Oh I was not going to do it myself. I thought I could buy the sights and have the gunsmith do it. Figured I might could save a few dollars on the purchase of the sights.

16. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

A lot of folks are quite pleased with Rock Island pistols. Enjoy yours, it will probably give you 1911 fever. ;)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  17. Shihan

What is the best Ammo for this? Can it handle "+P"? What do you recommend or have the best luck with?

Just wanting to know what to pick up for this weekend.

18. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Use any decent 230gr FMJ to get it broke in good and then you can experiment with different HP ammo...

19. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

There is no way to answer this question. Each weapon, even if they are one and two off the line, could like different ammo.

You are going to need to try a couple of different brands and see what that pistol likes.

As for the +P, I don't think the RIA is rated for it, but check your owner's manual. I wouldn't feed it a heavy diet of +P, especially as just a range ammo, without changing out your recoil spring ( at the least ).

Plan on trying several brands to find what the pistol likes.

JD

20. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I wouldn't waste the money on shooting +P at the range. Just any decent 230 gr. FMJ that you can find.