I have some questions

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by woody63m, Apr 17, 2012.

1. woody63m

woody63m New Member

Whats the differnce between double action and single action

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

It refers to the trigger pull and what actions occur. With a single action pulling the trigger only releases the hammer. A double action first sets the hammer in a fully cocked position, action 1, then releases it, action 2.

Most modern revolvers are examples of double action whereas the 1911 is a single action. Many semi auto pistols are DA first shot SA thereafter, while some are DA only. (DAO)

3. woody63m

woody63m New Member

Thank you for the info

4. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Examples of single-action revolvers are: Colt Single Action Army, Ruger Blackhawk, EAA Bounty Hunter. With them, they can't be fired until you first thumb-cock the hammer.
    Examples of double-action revolvers are S&W Model 686, Ruger Redhawk, Taurus Model 441. They can be fired by pulling the trigger without having to be thumb-cocked first.
    Single-action revolvers can be great for hunting, and for outdoor activities like camping, hiking, to defend against animals. But they expose the user to legal liability if used to defend against another human. If the shooting is in any way questionable, a prosecutor can claim you accidently shot the guy after you cocked the hammer and pointed the gun at him, and get a manslaughter conviction. That is because once a single-action revolver is cocked, it only takes a slight nudge of the trigger to fire the gun, while a double-action revolver usually takes about a 12-pound pull to cock and fire it.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

There is also DAO- double action only. The hammer cannot be thumb cocked. You must pull the trigger to make hammer rise and fall. My ParaOrdnance .45 has that.

Para-Ordnance_C745S_Companion.jpg

6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

How's the DA Trigger on that Para C3? Say compared to a Smith 29?

Tack

7. c3shooter

Tack- the LDA has NO comparison. It is the SMOOTHEST, LIGHTEST DA pull of any gun I have ever shot, including some race guns.

8. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

C3, I have a Para Warthog, and am most happy with it. But, being a S.A. piece it does leave the loophole for a prosecutor to try to claim accidental discharge. I have been looking at the info on the LDA models, which seem to be really great. But I've heard of an idiosyncracy where if you have a light hammer blow and the cartridge doesn't fire, you can't just pull the trigger again, but you have to shuck out the offending round and feed the next one. Is that true?

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

10. c3shooter

What he said up there ^^^. However, that also applies to any striker fired handgun, such as a Luger, 1903 Colt, Astra 400, Baby Browning, Ruger Mk II, etc. I do believe, but am not certain, that also applies to Glocks, some H&Hs, Kahrs and Kel-Tecs.

I would really wonder how many SD rounds would not go bang after 1 hit, but WOULD go on the second hit. Slap, Rack, and Roll immediate action drill puts a fresh round up the spout, resets firing mechanism- possible faster than I can recock a hammer with my thumb.