I Have No Self-Control

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Oaktree45, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Oaktree45

Oaktree45 Well-Known Member

First let me say that if there is one thing I really don’t need, it’s another handgun. Even so, there was this Springfield XD-45, Mod 2, 5 inch barrel (tactical), fiber optic front sight, and 13 round magazine in the store at the shooting range that just kept calling out to me. The price for range members was $395. As I was leaving the range, I caved into temptation.

Tomorrow I’ll be putting 50 rounds through it, I can’t wait. I’m still a little boy inside when it comes to new toys.

PANDEMIC, JimRau, PeeJay1313 and 6 others like this.
  2. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Pictures man!

PANDEMIC and MisterMcCool like this.

3. Oaktree45

OK, here are some pics.
    IMG_0721_1.jpg

The Springfield XD Tactical also has a round in the chamber indicator and a cocked weapon indicator.
    IMG_0722_1.jpg

IMG_0723_1.jpg

PANDEMIC, towboater, Sniper03 and 5 others like this.
  4. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Very nice. I would have had a problem turning it down too. :D

PANDEMIC and Rifling82 like this.
  5. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Very nice!!!
    Makes me want to try an XD.
    Never had one.

I noticed people either love 'em or hate 'em.

Under the current market conditions that was a screaming deal.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    PANDEMIC and JimRau like this.
  6. Oaktree45

I really enjoyed shooting this XD Tactical. I can't wait to shoot it again today. The felt recoil is considerably less than my Colt 1911. I haven't completely adjusted to the break of the trigger yet so naturally I need to keep shooting this again and again. ;)

PANDEMIC and schnuffleupagus like this.
  7. Oaktree45

I had a great time shooting the Springfield XD-45 Tactical today and I was happy with my shooting for a change. I really like the fiber optic front sight on this gun. My eyesight isn’t as good as it used to be so that front sight helped a lot. Today I put 55 rounds of different brands and bullet weights through the pistol and it ate it all.

I prefer to shoot at animal targets instead of human silhouettes. Today’s target was a grizzly bear set at 10 yards. I chose that animal in honor of “Bruno”, a black bear that the conservation department had to capture and relocate because he was heading to St. Louis. I dunno, maybe he wanted to join a BLM march.

Anyway, here’s a picture of the target after shooting 55 rounds. For me this is outstanding shooting with a .45. Now before any of you criticize my shooting I will give you my excuses for not doing better. I old, 74 years old, my eyesight isn’t nearly as good as it used to be, my hands are no longer as steady as they used to be, it was hot at the indoor range and sweat was rolling into my eyes, the lights were too dim, I was distracted by the guy next to me shooting a cannon, and finally, the lights were too bright. Those are my excuses for not being a great shooter like those guys on YouTube. Take you choice of excuses.

Bear.jpg

Shopfox, Txhillbilly, primer1 and 3 others like this.
  8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I had an XD45C until I got rid of all my 45 ACP. It was a very nice pistol and very comfortable to shoot. These were the 1st 20 rounds rapid fire.
    XD45.jpg

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Oaktree,
    Since I am a gun nut addict! I lost self control years ago!
    Very Nice Pistol!
    But you failed to mention the Blond in Short Shorts and a Halter Top shooting next to you in the next Bay!:p I see the 5 shots when you were distracted!;)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  10. Oaktree45

The XD 45 Tactical has digested every brand of .45 I put in it. I really like this gun and when I practice shooting with both eyes open the fiber optic front sight has improved my accuracy.

PANDEMIC and Rifling82 like this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

You went to 10mm or ?
    Everybody in the family shoots 30 06 and 45 acp. Me. 10mm and .308

12. Oaktree45

Jamming 13 rounds into a magazine can get old and make for a sore thumb. Today I bought a universal pistol magazine loader. Loading is so much easier. It works with both single stack and double stack magazines from 9mm to .45 caliber. It handled the single stack 45 and double stack 40 caliber quite well but with my 10 round double stack 9mm it loaded 8 perfectly but the last two rounds I had to help it.

PANDEMIC likes this.
  13. Oaktree45

Like I said, I have no self-control. The other day I was buying some things for a fishing trip next week and lo and behold the sporting goods store had a gun that called out to me. I am now the owner of a Performance Center M&P40, 5 inch barrel, 2.0 Pro Series. My old man eyes love the fiber optic sights and with the 15 round magazine it’s another excellent choice to take hiking. I’ve got to quit going to sporting goods stores that sell handguns.

IMG_0753_1.jpg

IMG_0754_1.jpg

IMG_0755_1.jpg

primer1, Txhillbilly and PANDEMIC like this.
  14. JTJ

My carry at the time was a Glock 36 (21 oz). I was starting to have trouble controlling it. I decided to concentrate on 9mm although I still have a couple 40 S&W. I was going to sell them off but with the current ammo situation I decided to hold off since I have 1k rounds for them and a 9mm barrel for the G23. Still have 38spl and 357 revolvers and rifles.

15. JTJ

Oaktree, that is pretty good but can you do that while the bear is charging at 30 mph?:eek::rolleyes:

16. Oaktree45

Probably not and I don't want to find out. I doubt a bear would maul me anyway. Once the bear got close enough to smell what I just did in my shorts I'm sure it would turn and run away quickly.

austin92, primer1 and JTJ like this.
  17. Oaktree45

I don't know who came up with the idea of using fiber optic sights but I love them. I'm much better at staying focused on the front sight and that intense focus has carried over to my guns with iron sights. IMG_0759_1.jpg

Txhillbilly likes this.
  18. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

I recently bought a M&P 40 2.0. I really like it,but it shoots low and to the left pretty bad. I ordered a set of LPA adjustable fiber optic sights for it,just waiting on them to get here.
    I also have a Performance Center Shield 40 for a CCW,and that little sucker shoots really good.