I have made my choice, come 2011, I will become a Marine

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by saviorslegacy, Mar 10, 2010.

1. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

Some of you may know that I had some family bumps about a month back, well, I am glad to say that they all got sorted out.
    When I graduate high school I will join the Corps. I can't join now because I am home schooled and lack a high school diploma. I need Algebra 2 and Chemistry before I can graduate. I am freshman college level on every other subject.
    Kinda weird that I am going to high school to just get two classes.

Anyways, I have made my decision to serve in the military like my father before me as he made the same decision to serve like his father before him.
    Right now I lack the diploma and physical ability to join, but all things change with time. Because I have been home schooled and I live in a sort of suburb I had nothing to challenge me physically. So I have started working out.
    In late January I could do 5 push ups, 40 crunches, run 1/2 a mile and curl 20 lbs and no chin ups.
    I can now do 20 push ups, 80 crunches, run 1 1/2 miles and curl 30 lbs and half a chin up.
    My goal is 150 push ups, 230 crunches, run 8 miles and curl 50 lbs and 12 chin ups. I have a year to do it.

The saddest part is my friends really think I am starting to do good right now when I feel as if it is a disgrace. It is sad how physically unfit this nation is. :(

lol, I was all pumped about joining last week and then I watched full metal jacket and realized that I looked a lil like Private Pile. Even a friend pointed that out. So it made me think a lil, but I am still not scared. I watched about 2 hours or so of footage showing drill instructors, then I got scared. Those dudes are the meanest sons of bitches I have ever seen. I thought my dad was bad at times but these guys make him look like a ***** cat. Just one quick question.... where do they get all of that air? Are their lungs bigger than normal peoples or something?
    Anyways, I came to realize that they are harsh so that you will learn, and learn well.
    I know a Marine that has recently served and I asked him what it is like. He said that it sucks to sit around in the middle of ****ing no where all of the time, but he met some nice people. I think he was a guard, like at a check point or something. He also said they have some crazy ass spiders over there. When I requested more information he said he didn't want to ruin the surprise. So I am curious about that.

Anyways, is there anything else I should know? I want to be as mentally and physically prepared as possible.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Keep your head up, get your ass in shape and serve with pride!!

My son served as a Marine! Changed him for life, for the better!!

3. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

Best thing I ever saw in my life was at BMT when we were at CATM (yes, the Air Force does fire weapons occasionally).

One guy durin' the class acted kinda big (or as big as a trainee can act) 'cause he said he's shot all sorts of different weapons and what not and wasn't worried about the qual.

Sitting a table across was this chick who looked like she'd never even seen a gun in her life.

One of those two walked away without qualing, and the other one got marksman. Care to guess which one?

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

If that's what you want to do, everyone here will support you, respect you, and thank you! :)

5. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

the humble one
    Something tells me that if that guy could shoot as he was talking he should have passed. Can you say, "stretching the story?"

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  6. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

This has to be my favorite thread of all time here. Legacy, you'll find out in short order that there is nothing you can't do. You have all you need: The commitment to see it through.
    Life really is that simple. Balls= Blue Chips. YOU write the score card. Qualification is the lowest level of competency in any endeavor.

It isn't really an effort when you realize the pay-off, though. It's a mission. It's the new X-Box, but with running shoes and straps for the really heavy dumbells. It's starting the finishing kick a hundred yards farther away from the finish line every couple of weeks. It's all about seeing progress and understanding that it originates in your dedication. It's not your friends, it's not the Corps, it's you.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I wish you well. :)

8. Car54

Car54 New Member

DI's yell and scream to instill a form of discipline, and to separate the men from the boys. It's the same in any type of military or semi-military organizations, hammer the boys and girls into soldiers who will follow orders, and learn enough to do the job properly when necessary. Stick with your program and don't worry what your friends are telling you. If you want it bad enough, it will come.

9. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

No better way...

If you bring the motivation to succeed, your DI's will ensure that you do. My only advice is to:

1. Keep up with your physical goals but add a pair of issue boots and several miles of "fast" walking a day to toughen up your feet. When they blister "dont tear the skin off", just drain the fluid and put your socks back on...Oh yeah, OD, cusion sole, wool, get used to em because you won't get cotton and it'll kill ya if ya try to march in it.
    2. Keep quiet...you'll figure out why as soon as the first loud mouth pops off in earshot of a DI
    3. Don't assume you know how to shoot...Take the instruction and use it. We vet's come across "shooter" every day. 1 trip to the range with these guys shows them for posers. I don't care much you've shot, I guarantee they will make you better.
    4. HUMILITY-respect comes to all who serve, no need to go looking for it once you have a uniform.

Good luck and if you land in the sand box remember Murphy's Laws of Combat.
    1. Supresive Fire Doesn't..
    2. Friendly Fire Isn't...
    3. Tracers work both ways...

10. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

First off, I tip my hat with respect !

On behalf of many Americans, Thank You..

And most of all, Hot shell casings make great handwarmers during night fire drills. CS Gas is wonderful to wake up to in your tent, 10 miles gets shorter the 3rd time and that overweight woman putting slop on you food tray every day will look hot after no coochie after 6 weeks..

Congrat's !!

11. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Any body here say grunt

Congratulations. Don't worry about the D I'S. I know One Of them. In high school he was just like you. People today call them nerds. The Marine Corp changed that. I hope you find what your looking for. Advice, Like I told my son when he joined. You do every thing they tell you and YOU NEVER QUIT. Good Luck AND God Bless. Wills in da Swamp in La. One Shot One Kill...... Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. J.C.

12. colmustard

colmustard New Member

I was Air Force Security Forces for 4 years, and those were some of the best times i had! Just keep your head up, and stay dedicated to what you want, and you will find you can go very far and acomplish things you thought you could never do. Much of basic is mental, its them training you and perparing you to do a very important job. Just keep you nose to the grind stone and remember why you are doing what you are doing,remember to always serve with pride and that you represent something that carrys much honor and privlage. Good luck and GOD bless.

13. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

Ah ****, they flood your tent with gas?
    Boot camp sounds more like hell on earth rather than a training facility.
    Oh well, at least you can't... get killed there. You can out in the field.
    The way I look at it is this: If God still has a purpose for me then I will live. If I have already fulfilled my purpose then I am of no use.
    So just keep thinking that you have not fulfilled your purpose yet.

@willshoum So I guess that makes me a nerd. :p

14. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Nah man, Parris Island is a wonderful place to visit!! After you've made it thru the hell that is the armpit of the world. You can do it, keep working and you'll be fine. Sounds like your friends and family are supporting you which you'll need to get thru. Letters are your friend.
    Have you talked to any recruiters yet?

15. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

Marine brat says....

Ignore all the friends deriding your decision. You are the one deciding to join the Marine Corps and you are the one who wants to do this.

Don't worry about the D.I.s. My Father spent 30 years in the Marine Corps and was a D.I. on both coasts (Parris Island, South Carolina and MCRD, San Diego). They'll yell, scream, rant, rave, generally throw temper tantrums and still you'll feel like you're not succeeding. As long as they don't cram your your civvies in your face and tell you to get the Hell out, you're succeeding.

Semper Fi

16. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

Yes I have talked to a recruiter. Funny story, the dude called when I was gving blood.

@Acid
    holy ****, it would suck to have a DI as a parent. No offense, I am sure he is a good guy. How did he wake you guys up?

The insergeants say, numquam fidellis.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  17. Jess

Jess New Member

don't worry about any of your "friends" I know at your age it seems like they are important but I talk to ONE person I've known since that age. She has been my best friend since 3rd grade. And she's a Marine. Everyone else who doubts you can chuck it.

Find a great running program and stick to it, that will do more than anything else if you're *soft*.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

One of my nephews graduated high school a couple of years ago with a good buddy who was a nice guy but lacked family support and direction. The buddy is now a Marine somewhere on a ship. As far as your "private Pyle" condition, this kid was always a big kid with a good bit of lard, to the point where his knees were starting to give him trouble; after basic training, he doesn't have that problem any more. Honestly, had he not been standing next to my nephew, i probably would not have recognized him after basic. He did comment that he wished he had started a running program MUCH earlier before going to basic. He mentioned something about a diet they had him on until his physical condition was less flabby. The biggest differences were his newfound lack of lard and a more confident look on his face & shoulders.

I wish you the very best of luck in your endevour. :)

Military service isn't for everyone, but i'd wager most of the unsuitables will be weeded out in basic.

19. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

20. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Side note, my biggest regret in the Marines was that I did not go into Embassy Duty while I was in Okinawa as a Lance Corporal.