I have lost my everlovin' mind

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by CA357, Aug 13, 2011.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Due to unforeseen circumstances (my wife losing her hearing aids) my hopes of getting a Colt Commander are toast, at least for now.

So, I have done the unthinkable. I have bought my third Rock Island 1911A1 after having two RIA lemons that refused to feed. :eek:

I had a Tactical and a GI model and they just wouldn't feed, yet I bought another. :rolleyes: I'm hoping that the third time's the charm.

Here's the logic:

It's new, but my local gunsmith has already gone through it and done some tweaking and polishing, so it will start out in better condition than the other two.

I had my Livescan background check done on Wednesday which puts me another step closer to getting my CCW. So, I want something that I'm familiar with, shoot accurately and that doesn't cost a fortune. I also need it yesterday.

I want a .45ACP pistol for CCW and for me, that means a 1911. If I'm going to carry, I want my primary carry pistol to be able to stop things with authority. Hence .45ACP. I looked seriously at the Springfield XD45, but it is just too wide and cumbersome for me to conceal effectively.

So, I probably need my head checked, but there it is. :eek:

2. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Good luck with it. 3rd times a charm!!!

3. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

at first you hand me thinking, no I would not have purchased the thired one but, hay who am I to question I'm on my third marriage. and has worked so far.

so yeah why not. I also agree with you on the carry .45 because as the TEE shirts and bumper stickers say "I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46"

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Yes you have :confused:
    Had 2 of them Rocks myself - No 3rd for me :rolleyes:
    Well, never say never- if the price was rite :rolleyes:

5. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

Let it never be said CA357 that we can never agree.

Isn't RI like buying a sat. nite special jiminez arms .25 or something? Shame on you.

First time you get burned shame on them. 2nd time, shame on you. 3rd time?? lol

6. CA357

Yup, I'm a bit mushy headed at times, but the price was right. I'll shoot the hell out of it and get it broken in. Any issues and I'll have the gunsmith fix them.

I had to make a decision and price was the main factor. In the unfortunate event that it winds up in an evidence locker, it won't be a great loss either. Although a confiscated gun will be the least of my problems at that time.

7. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Good luck CA

Let it never be said that you are not persistent.:)

TACK

8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Or because shooting twice is a waste of ammo.

9. freefall

freefall New Member

You don't want to carry the Sistema?

10. CA357

I'm going to put the Sistema, the FEG PA63 and the RIA on my permit. That's assuming I actually have one issued to me. I believe that it will be.

Worse comes to worst and I don't get the CCW, I'll sell the RIA and at least get my money out of it.

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

THAT is the deciding factor :D

12. CA357

I didn't marry it, I'm just going to shoot it. Hopefully it will be the exception that proves the rule.

13. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I had a Rock Island that never returned to battery after firing a shot. I had to have a smith work on it three times to get it running smoothly. The cost in the end was just shy of a new colt.

Here's hoping this one works right out of the box. :) Let us know how it goes.

14. CA357

Will do.

15. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I'm excited for you. I hope that gun works well. And if it doesn't and you can't get it to where you want it to be.........sell it. No big deal.

16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Doing the same thing and hoping to get different results?

But this time, you are not doing the same thing. You had someone check it out and is ready to help.

And let's hope the "problematic RIA" thread is dead. :)

17. CA357

I'm hoping so. So many people have good luck with them that it's got to be my turn. If not, I'll just sell it off.

18. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I still have that RIA .38Super. So far it has not failed.

(but it has been on the shelf for a couple of months.)

19. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Best of luck, my friend!! :D

1911, the best carry pistol on the planet!

20. orangello

orangello New Member

CA, i read something on the MS forum that may be useful: "Ivan that heads the customer service dept is a regular on 1911forum.com and will do whatever it takes if you have problem." I couldn't call the poster's name to save my hide & don't know him from Adam, but you might look around at that forum for a dude named Ivan in the event of mechanical difficulties.