I have got to STOP doing this!

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Mark F, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Well, another wheelgun followed me home!

This one is a real bad-boy a brand new Smith & Wesson 329PD.

I gotta stop doing this!!!

SPECS:
    Model: 329PD
    Caliber: .44MAG/.44SP
    Capacity: 6 Rounds
    Barrel Length: 4"
    Front Sight: HI-VIZ Front
    Rear Sight: Adjustable
    Grip: Wood Grips
    Frame: Large
    Finish: Blue / Black
    Overall Length: 9 1/2"
    Material: Alloy
    Weight Empty: 26 oz.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

That is SWEET!! I would love to add one of those to my collection. I was drooling over one the other day but it's just not in the card for me at the moment.

3. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Nice Smith 329 wheeli there Mark, very nice!

Jack

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Very nice! I'm not that into revolvers, but that is beautiful yet simultaneously scary. Would you happen to have a pic from the other side, or a pic with the cylinder out & from the back?

5. OC357

OC357 New Member

......so you should now sell your Taurus 38 UL to me to help offset this horendous expendature.......:p.....:D

OC

(nice magnum by the way)

6. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

Very nice gun.
    Next time one follows you home, let me know. I'll adopt. :)

S.S.

7. Mark F

That can be ARRANGED...

Attached Files:

8. Mark F

THANKS OC!
    But peddling off the Model 85 won't even come close to making up for this one.

I haven't told my wife about the Taurus 85 yet, and now this...

I really gotta stay out of gun stores for awhile!

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! If that gun was your daughter, you'd be justified in smackin me for some lustful thoughts right now. :D

I caught part of a program about a U.S. company's "pro line" or "performance shop" limited edition/specialty revolvers that are usually custom-built for competition shooters were now going to be simulated for less special shooters; i think it was S & W's shop. Those people were fondling so many beautiful guns so rapidly that some of them had tape on their fingers or fingerless gloves. I'll have to see if that comes on again for a reference.

10. Mark F

I totally understand.

I've been groaping it like it was my first girlfriend...

11. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Whoa! Wish I could let that stuff slide by the wife! She allows approved purchases (which is good for the family... hmmmm). But that's nice! Hope you enjoy.

12. rosebush62

rosebush62 New Member

Kick ?

How does it shoot - being light weight of 26 oz in a .44 seems like it would have quite a kick. I have a S&W 327 [21 oz] that isn't bad with a .38, but, hurts with a .357.

13. Mark F

I haven't gotten to the range yet. But I will this week. Everything I have read about the 329PD suggests that it's brutal when eating Magnums. One report claims that it recoils harder than a 500 Magnum. I find that hard to believe. None the less I do expect it to be rough. I'm OK with that, as I have several 44 Magnums and I shoot +P+ ammo very often. I'll just shoot 44 Specials in the 329PD until I get used to it.

14. dukech1

dukech1 New Member

That's a nice one Mark. Wheelguns are a new habit with me now as well. I used to own nothing but semi-autos, now I have five wheelies.

15. Mark F

Yeah, wheelguns have a charm to them you can't get from an autoloader.

16. Fayettedave

Fayettedave New Member

Geez...ain't that the truth!

Nice piece Mark.

17. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Mark,
    Nice addition. I like that it's flat black and somewhat slab sided, but not real crazy about the sights (but that's just me).
    Now if they'd make one with a non-fluted cylinder like some of the 629s in the performance center? That would be sweet.

18. OC357

OC357 New Member

Yeah, must be the way the cylinder turns or something....:D

OC

19. Mark F

I did get around to shooting my 329PD a few days ago. My thumb is just now getting back to normal. Shooting .44 Specials in it was a lot of fun! It had a very sharp and snappy feel to it. The 329PD is impressively accurate with Specials. When I switched to 240 grain .44 Magnums, the fun abruptly ended. I have shot virtually every hi-powered production revolver made, and I own 5 44 Magnums (including this one). Not even 460 and 500 Magnum recoil like the 329 does.

That snappy feel I was getting with Specials was a "hint" as to what Magnums were about to do. On lookers said they could see the shockwave passing through my arms. I was using padded shooting gloves and this revolver still peeled the skin off my thumb on the second shot. I lost the feeling in my thumb about 30 rounds later.

Since my first shooting session, I have done serious research on how to tame this revolver a bit. Of course I can always shoot 44 Specials in it. They were fun, managable, and inexpensive. I also called Smith & Wesson Tech Support, they HIGHLY RECOMMENDED using 500 Magnum grips. So, I ordered those too. Lastly, I found that Buffalo Bore makes 44 Magnums specifically for this gun. It's a 1350 FPS, 255 grain gas-check semi-wadcutter. They call it "Lower recoil" 44 Magnum ammo. I bought one box to try out. LINK: Lower Recoil .44 Magnum Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

This is some seriously expensive ammo, at nearly $2.00 per round, by the time you throw some sales tax on it!

I also reload. While I typically reload on the highend of CAP pressures on my Magnums, there's nothing to keep me from making my own custom loads for this revolver. Further investigation will be needed here.

With all this being said, this is one deadly accurate pistol and I love it! The target is all OFF-HAND shooting at 7 yards.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009