I Have Finally Arrived!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by SGT-MILLER, Nov 30, 2008.

1. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

So......after about 8 years or so of lusting after 1911's on the market, and dreaming of owning one, I can finally say that I'm a proud owner of a 1911 pistol.

It's not the fanciest pistol on the market, but I'm loving it nonetheless. I just purchased a nice little Rock Island Armory 5" 1911 pistol. It came with two 8 round magazines, a nice case, and pretty wood grips, and I purchased 2 more Kimber magazines (they seem to work well with the RIA). I also purchased a Hogue grip. I like the actual wood grips that came with it, but I have a fondness for the more aggressive (and comfortable) black Hogue grips.

I am itching to get this thing out to the range.

I had to trade in my Hi-Point .45, and my Hi-Point 9mm to help pay for the cost of this beast, but it didn't other me.

I figured I can either own 2 Hi-Point pistols, or one 1911 pistol. It was a no-brainer for me...lol.

Now I can finally post in this section....lol. :D

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Welcome to the 1911 family.... Godfather of all modern semi auto handguns, handed down by Odin himself through the genius of John Browning. :D

JD

3. sgtdeath66

sgtdeath66 New Member

even though i dont have mine still am i still in tha fam, lol!!

4. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Should I yell out "BY THE POWER OF ODIN I BANISH THEE!!!!!" every time I fire a shot next time I go to the range...lol.

(Might get some weird looks...lol.)

:D

5. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

You'll now see what we were talking about this whole time.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

No Dude! You want to keep the secret inside the family. Don't let the masses know the power you now possess....It's a private and exclusive fraternity....

JD

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Enjoy that rascal.

8. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

matt g posted:
    The bad thing was I knew what y'all were talking about. I've shot 1911's alot over the years, but I could never get around to purchase one because of circumstances and whatnot. Now I can finally stop worrying about it, cuz I have one of my own. It's not as pretty as some of the other 1911's I shot, but I don't care. I kinda like them ugly, and mean lookin....lol.

:D

Dillenger Posted:
    Ok dude, I promise I'll keep it cool-like (ssshhhhhhhhhhh.........). I won't name my pistol "Thunder of Odin" or anything. I'll just call it "Teh Uber Leet Boomstik!!!".

9. ScottG

ScottG New Member

I wish I could afford one...but it'd have to be an authentic US Army. :(

10. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Springfield does make the MILSPEC G.I. 1911 pistol. I'm not sure of the price (I know it's more expensive than an RIA, but less expensive than a Kimber), but it seems that the pistol is true to original 1911 form.

Keep looking. It took me a long time to finally get one. Don't wait. Make it happen....lol.

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You post in jest now, but wait until you throw a couple of hundred rounds downrange. It's a competely different feeling, different experience....

Trust me, the 1911 is unlike any other firearm on the planet, and it's been around for over 100 years in military service for a reason.

*RESPECT*

JD

12. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Number one on that.

13. docholiday

docholiday New Member

Congrats on your 1911. I think you will really enjoy it. I love the 1911 platform.

14. ScottG

ScottG New Member

I've handled the Springfield and an original, they don't quite feel the same. The original 1913 manufacture date I spent some quality time with just felt perfect in my hands. The GI didn't. I've found a few for around $650, but they were true mixmasters and most had been reblued. Even one like that is out of reach at the moment. I've seen more original parts guns for around $1100 - 1500. Too rich for me at the moment. I'll just wait....

15. Fayettedave

Fayettedave New Member

Congrats Sarge!

Obviously, the reasoning of a highly intelligent individual!!!

16. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

That 1911 feels a whole hell of a lot better than the High Points, doesn't it?

17. greenjeans

greenjeans New Member

I have a couple of the SA GI models, a 5" and a Commander size. Only complaint is the tiny front sights. Bought a handful of mil surp magazines (1945 vintage) and both function great with them. Hogue grips on both. They just feel good.

18. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Does RIA have a website? I am interested in looking at their 9mm pistol they are offering (CZ clone).

Still waiting to get some spare time to take my Rock .45 out to put some round downrange. It's looking like I may have to get drastic and get up at 3 in the morning and make it a night shoot at the range....lol.

I did buy a nice little holster rig from blackhawk, and I have a nice little duty belt setup for my .45 with 4 extra mags (2 ACT-MAGs and 2 Kimber Tactical Mags). It's not for concealment, but it's nice for when the zombies wake up and come to town. :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  19. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Congrats! I need to figure a way to talk my brother into giving up Dad's Colt 1911. Hell, he got the rest of his guns!

20. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

I would love to have an original Colt 1911A1.

It seems really hard to find a 1911A1 that is true to the original MIL-SPEC (i.e. arched mainspring housing, loose tolerances, cheap brown plastic grips, etc...).

My RIA is close but it does have a few bells and whistles.

Side Note: I just saw another brand of 1911 from Manila, Phillippines in a gun store a frequent. It's a Metro Arms (I think?) and it is selling for 399 dollars. It feels pretty well made, and it has a decent amount of bels and whistles. It has the following:

1. Flat mainspring housing.
    2. Beavertail Grip Safety.
    3. Ambidexterous Safety.
    5. Skeleton-style Hammer.
    6. Novak-style sights.
    7. Skeleton-style trigger.
    8. Beveled mag well.
    9. Extended slide Release.
    10. 8 Round Magazine (from ACT-MAG).

Anybody have any experience with these 1911s? I am assuming they are coming from the same folks that put out RIAs. It is alot lighter in hand than my RIA, but I am a little concerned about the quality of this particular pistol. I have never seen a 1911 with this amount of add-ons for only 399 dollars.