I have another question for anyone who will help me to go along with my riflequestion

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by carmelresortinn, Jul 10, 2010.

1. carmelresortinn

carmelresortinn New Member

Since I'm getting my dad a rifle for his birthday, I will also have to get him a scope with it. The name that I hear alot is Leupold, but I don't know much about it considering my time is spent on hair, makeup, and shoes!! What is the best brand of scope and what should the distance on it be to hunt deer?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

leupold is an excellent brand. there are various types and styles within the brand. a good way is to present the rifle then let him pick the scope.

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Nikon monarch and don't think twice.

Leupold are ok you can get more scope for less money with Nikon Monarchs and Bushnell elite 4200 and 6500...

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I personally would go with a Nikon. I find them to be great scopes for the money. Nothing wrong with a Leupold but you're going to pay more for them.

5. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I personally prefer the glass on my Leopold's over my Nikon, but as always, you get what you pay for no matter what the brand is and this is where my bias is.

Look at the Nikon Buckmaster and compare it to the Leopold VX-1. These are comparable priced optics and your eyes will tell you what is best suited for you.

Many people are brand loyal because they have had good experiences with certain manufacturers. I sell optics the same way I sell firearms. I find out what the customer's needs are, determine their price range, and show them their options. This work for me and makes my customers very happy, because what's right for me is not always what's right for the customer. Good luck, Joe

6. whirley

whirley New Member

whirley

rs ago in Pa. we had a jim dandy opening day for deer season. Freezing rain, snow, wind etc.etc. Everyone 's scopes fogged up, EXCEPT Leupold. For a long time, hunters refused to buy anything else. I'm sure scopes have improved. However that advice to give your father the rifle and let him pick his scope is very sound advice. Personally, I still buy Leupold. Once is enough.

7. kalgunner

kalgunner New Member

8. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Well that's your opinion,Cane.

Personally,I think they SUCK. Twice,I have called them and talked to a sales person and asked if they had certain scopes in stock so I could compare them in person. They always say they have them,and then after I drive about 40 miles to Red Oak,Tx to SWFA,they don't have any of the scopes I asked about in stock.
    The way I see it,SWFA owes me about $40 dollars of diesel fuel and a few hours of my life back.:mad:

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Never had any problems myself with SWFA, THB, either through ordering online or going to their place...?:eek:

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

If you can find a Nikon "Team Primos" scope, they are an excellent value for the money. They are actually a Nikon Monarch scope and a step above the "Buckmaster". I use one and it's a great scope that's very reasonably priced..

11. powg

powg New Member

tx hillbilly vs swfa

note to swfa : all tx hillbillys keepa big can of whoopass in truck lol

12. carmelresortinn

carmelresortinn New Member

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. Now i know about the leupold. And i'll definitely buy this for my lovely Dad.

------------------

Carmel by the Sea Hotels
    Carmel Hotels
    Bed and Breakfast Carmel