I have a Stupid question?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by VazDaGoon, Jun 3, 2013.

1. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

I just bought a brand new mossberg maverick 88 and its REALLY greasy and oily. It came like that when I bought it. Finger prints, dirt, etc. and not just on the outside, I can tell its like that on the inside also. .. Is that normal? And if so, should I clean it inside and out. If so, how should I clean it?

2. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Idk if it should be like that but yes do give it a good cleaning.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

The situation you describe is not out of the ordinary. Just perform a thorough field strip and cleaning like you would after a range session.

4. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

Are there any videos on how to properly clean it after field stripping it. I saw one on YouTube but it didn't look legit to me. I couldn't find anymore.

5. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

There are lots of videos on YouTube on disassembly. They do grease them up pretty good before shipping so every new gun you buy always field strip and clean

6. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

What do I clean the parts with?

7. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

gun solvent found at your local gun store. Any brand works. I use Hoppes bore solvent

8. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Here is a detailed video on cleaning
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXqJvLx8pYw[/ame]

9. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

The gun came from the factory oiled up, to prevent rust when stored in a back room for up to a number of months on occasion. The fingerprints are probably from the dealer showing the gun to a previous customer.

10. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

Thanks. It's not as bad as I'm making it seem but it just surprised me. I didn't think it would come like that.

11. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I always check the gun out on the display rack, then before I buy it tell them to get a new one in the back room and lets fill out the paper work :D

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

That's what I usually do, too, but the last gun I bought, the display one was the last one. I was disappointed, but just for a moment. It's a beautiful gun.

13. MattShlock

MattShlock New Member

Now VazDaGoon, there's no such thing as a stupid question. But let me ask one that comes pretty close...

You already own a .40 Glock (I think it was) you said -- what do you clean THAT with?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  14. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I usually put my tupperware in the dishwasher! ;)

15. VazDaGoon

VazDaGoon New Member

I haven't cleaned it yet. I only have about 450 rounds through it.