I have a screw loose or 2

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by johnbrowning, Jun 23, 2012.

1. johnbrowning

johnbrowning New Member

Browning challenger III. Even with putting lacquer (clear fingernail polish) on the screws, they loosen as I shoot. It has worked in the past on this gun and my SAA it still works. I'm thinking screws a little over sized. Where would I find those? Thanks in advance. JMB

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

2 words----LOC-TITE

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Loc-tite. If that doesn't work numrich or Dixie gun works will have what you need. I repeat, loc-tite

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Just dont use red or they will never come out. Blue small screw.

5. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Another vote for "blue" loctite. A dab on the screw threads, let it set until tacky then screw it in & let it cure overnight. Using the 'blue' you can still get it out later if you need.

6. roscoguy

roscoguy New Member

^^^ Pretty much what he said, except for the part about letting it sit till tacky. Loctite is anaerobic & will not cure until the fasteners are assembled. Letting it tack up won't hurt anything, but it won't really help either.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

One thing with loctite red or blue. If you use it anyplace the fastener can get hot then it wont do a bit of good. You will need a different type called rocksett its not as strong as loctite blue but it withstands up to about 3000 degrees before letting go. It wont let your screws back out but can be easily removed with handtools.

8. johnbrowning

johnbrowning New Member

The Challenger 3 has to be unscrewed to clean.3 screws. Would the blue be the way to go? If it doesn't get cleaned after 100 to 150 rounds I get fte,ftf .This pistol is a tack driver and I want it to last. I have 6 mags so I don't have to clean them often.

9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Don`t we all................

10. cj84

cj84 New Member

Just buy a glock problem solved

11. johnbrowning

johnbrowning New Member

Funny, Glock factory 22 (caliber).

12. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

NO, that would mean you REALLY have a screw loose..............

13. roscoguy

roscoguy New Member

Hmmmmm. Locking & removing frequently is going to be a problem for any method. Any type of mechanical interference fit - such as an over-sized fastener or even a three-lobed, self locking screw - will only work for so long until the softer of the two materials being joined will begin to distort. This will eventually leave you in the same boat you started in PLUS you'll most likely have female threads that nothing will fit.

OTOH, all chemical threadlockers that I've used will accrete if you don't remove them with tap, die, wire wheel or whatever. That's just the nature of the beast - they work by sticking to fasteners. I'm not really sure if this could actually become a problem or not, since I've always removed any buildup or replaced the fasteners.

Personally, I think I'd try the low-strength Loctite 222 or similar, & just clean it off the screws every time. It should be easier to remove any accretion than even the blue stuff & should still be strong enough to prevent the screws from vibrating loose. The only other solution that comes to mind is to see if there are any screws available of the same size & type that have a nylon insert right in the screw threads. (Basically the same principle as a Nylok nut.) I've only seen/used these a few times though, so this may not help here but it could worth googling... If they are available, buy a whole box & throw 'em away after several uses.

14. johnbrowning

johnbrowning New Member

Thanks Underdog your huggable and lovable, Sounds like real good info.I found Uncle Mikes Gun Tite on line, does anyone have a knowledge of this product? JMB