I have a new shooter, I think?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by mesinge2, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Shoot the crap out of it!

23 vote(s)
    88.5%
  2. Don't shoot it (please explain)

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Too much Bling, why did they do that, why did you buy it, and why did you show it to me?

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

As many of you know I like all guns but 1911s and Security Six wheelies are my weakness.

Well, my cousin got a 1911 Commerative Edition Thompson/Auto-Ord, you know its one of those Gold covered things that make you want to vomit from America Remembers that cost $2,000 and you can't sell it for $400.

He got it on the cheap for the aforementioned reason but he hates it. He said it shoots like crap and he can't carry it (too big). So we went to the range and its shoots pretty good, its not a Colt, but its not bad either. He just isn't great with the GI sights. He is still ticked off and wants to go the other route a NAA 22 mag (another with crap sights and hard to shoot :rolleyes:). So, I offer him a trade. One of my extra S&W J frames for the Thompson. I gave him a S&W model 60 .357 (I had 3, two in 357 and one in 38) and I took this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The gun would look great with no gold as the pulm bluing is amazing, look at the right side of the slide!
    Anyways, I am planning to shoot the crap out of it, unless someone else can change my mind. Opinions
    ?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  2. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I don't see the point in having a gun you don't shoot. Shoot the crap out of it!:D

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

What? No beer option?

Go ahead and shoot it.

4. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Shoot it. There are two grades of those commemorative guns.

Un-Fired.
    Fired.

Value is low no matter which way you go. So might as well use it, right?

5. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I voted to "'shoot the crap out of it' but take care of it". I wouldn't carry it. I wouldn't have a problem shooting it once it's already been fired, but I wouldn't want to scrach it up.

It may not be worth much, but is still a pretty gun for the wall. :)

6. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

What he said. ^^ :D

Nice looking 1911 Commemorative edition. :cool:

All that fancy scribble on the side is not gonna hamper it's performance.

Shoot it! Shoot it a lot! ;)

7. havasu

havasu Supporting Member

I agree. Blast away!

8. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Another thought, you may not be able to sell it for $400, but it's still worth $2000 if the house burns down. ;)

just sayin' :D

9. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Oh I wouldn't destroy it but this would be a total range toy. As for carry, I and usually with one of three guns: my SP101, my Kimber TLE, or my 2 3/4" Security Six.

I really do need to inventory my entire collection and get insurance for them.

10. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Absolutely! Haha. Maybe more, due to appreciation....

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

sad thing is if you could remove all the gold scroll and engraving and such it would prolly raise the value heh.

personally i never buy guns i dont intend to shoot. i also cant stand engraved guns i think all that scroll work makes a beautiful gun an ugly step sister.

12. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

My vote is shoot it until it until your trigger finger gets tired. ;)

13. freefall

freefall New Member

I like beer! I dislike engraving and gold foofoo. I'd trade that thing to somebody that DOES like that crap for a Colt and some beer!

14. HAVEGUN

HAVEGUN New Member

If you can't trade it for something else, shoot the heck out of it.

15. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Post pictures of it on gun forums and tell everyone that all SpOps like yourself are awarded one when you retire. Then offer to sell it for $5,000. ;)

16. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Ha, that's an idea!

I like the idea of it as trading material. I'll see what I can do. hmmm....

Also, I really like the pulm bluing. I am thinking of refinishing my pitted 19-4 with this blue finish.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  17. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

I just looked at it again. If you replaced all the gold plated parts with blued parts it would be attractive.

18. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I really like the idea of using it as trade fodder. Then get a plain Jane, shooter 1911.

19. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Am I the only one who keeps moving their head from side to side to read what it says under the glare?

20. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Yeah, pretty much. :p