I have a new gun buy back idea.

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by buildthedamnfence, Jul 3, 2012.

1. buildthedamnfence

buildthedamnfence New Member

do you think they check if they are real guns? why not make a mold, and cast some cheap revolver look alikes.

A body with a short barrel ,maybe some holes to in the main cylinder to look like chambers

cut some wood into hands, and make some really cheap stub nose look alikes, that are rusted, so the cops will be none the wiser, so it takes about 15$ to make one after a 100 gift card this is still a 85$ profit

can the gift cards be exchanged for cash?

In the eyes of the law, would I be doing anything illegal?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  2. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Don't know if it's legal but I LIKE IT.

It's been awhile but Portland PD does these every few years so I I'm keeping my eye out for those $20 gun show Lorcins.:)

This is the ONE area where I LOVE to screw the taxpayer!

Tack

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Well, at least you know you are not selling back illegal firearms. :)

4. buildthedamnfence

would there be anything illegal about me doing this?

5. buildthedamnfence

how much do they buy them back for?

6. opaww

opaww New Member

I believe it was earler this year that gun dealers set up outside a gun buy back in Or. and paid the people turning in guns a little more then they were offering at the gun buy back. It was legal because they were liscened gun dealers.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Is what you propose legal?

Do I look like a lawyer?

However, you MAY want to spend some time researching the term FRAUD. And yes, most of the "buy backs" do have someone to separate BB guns from real guns. Here in VA, any "buy back" must include a Stae Police Rep- they check for stolen guns.

8. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

yea its called fraud!

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

If I were to guess, you would probably be guilty of fraud. If, for some reason they couldn't get you with that, they would find something. Remember, they govt gets to screw you as much as they wish. If you return the favor, it's very likely a criminal act, at least in the eyes of of the justice system. Two or three of those $100 cards, and you're a felon if they wish to make an example out of you.

Also, your plan sounds an awful lot like actual work. Casting, drilling & making grips. A fair bit of time & skill would be required to make your product convincing to more than a casual glance.
    If I were to guess, they probably log them in with at least a serial number and very likely a brand name. A fair bit of detail would be needed.

Seems to me, a sweep of the local pawn shops might be easier.

10. buildthedamnfence

has any body tired this before?

11. buildthedamnfence

well i wont need any brand name or serial number, the whole "no questions asked" this might work in my favor, would it not?

12. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Maybe.
    Let us know how it turns out.

13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

It would probably be just as legal as the gun buyback program itself. If they are accepting guns in exchange for money it is by definition a "sale". Without doing the proper paperwork and background check for each gun purchased by the city that is a violation of the law. "No questions asked" and not checking the Federal database of stolen firearms means they might be accepting stolen firearms, and not returning those firearms to their rightful owners is a de facto violation of the 4th Amendment (illegal seizure).

So, in short, the whole damned program is a fraud.

On the other hand, turning in the guns to the city that is committing fraud is not so clear cut. If they were to somehow bust you for doing it I would think that would be a clear case of entrapment. If they were to refuse to accept the guns from anyone (like the NRA, or one of us getting rid of scrap guns) then it would be a clear case of discrimination.

I am not a lawyer though, so my testimony is only worth what you read here on the internet. Not admissable in court.

14. Sourdough54

Sourdough54 New Member

Many years ago, a friend (citizen of the UK) had some very nice guns and reloading set-up. Was a member of several clubs, he was an avid shooter.

Then the lawmakers got the anti-gun bug big time and firearms had the be turned in demilled etc. but the gov't would compensate them for reloading supplies and targets. They would be paid for what was turned in, so most of the club members started returning the fired primers to the little shipping trays and saving them for the turn in, getting money for a used item, gotta love it. They also went out and paid the equivalent of about .015¢ each for copies of targets and got .05¢ each from the gov't.

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Send a letter to Holder. I am sure he would love to prosecute them.;)

16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Not until after I have unloaded all of my scrap metal guns on them!:D