I have a couple semi-automatic rifles with ?'s

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Lerenis, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Lerenis

Lerenis New Member

I went from not having any guns to having a whole bunch, so I have been lurking here to try and figure out what I have. The two semi-auto rifles are a Springfield M1A and a Ruger Mini-14. The question I have is what makes some rifles different within their specific model range? The accessories and upgrades and how do you know what these are? Lead me O'wise ones in this quest for information!

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

?

I am not sure what your Q is. You have guns that you know nothing about? Why did you buy them if you don't know what you bought? Did you inherit them?

IMHO the M1-A and the Mini-14 are nearly polar opposites on the quality scale. The Springfield Armory M1-A is a very good rifle.

"question I have is what makes some rifles different within their specific model range?"

I have a hard time answering such a question. Please re-phrase.

3. Lerenis

Lerenis New Member

Yes, inherited some guns but would like to know more about them. The Springfield M1A is my favorite, looks fairly sinister. The Mini-14 by Ruger seems to be a shrunken down version but has a couple plastic parts on it. The Springfield has no plastic on it at all.

4. Lerenis

Lerenis New Member

Oh, forgot to add about the other ones. Two hand guns, an auto and six shooter. A bunch of shotguns, a double barrel and three pumps, a lever action 30-30, a 50 caliber muzzle loader, two bayonets and a partridge in a pear tree.

All are very clean and well cared for. I'm going to try and figure out everything I can about them, then clean them up from top to bottom by taking them apart and putting back together correctly.

I would really like to try out the Springfield, it looks awesome but I don't know how old it is. Ser. # is in the 16K range and is stamped on the side 1 of 100.

5. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Pics would help. Show markings and stamps as well as whole rifle to get an idea of the condition. :)

6. marysdad

marysdad Member

If you post or e-me pics of the bayonets and a description of the markings, I'm sure that I can identify them (or take a crack at IDing them yourself using the resources on my site).

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Agreed. You could have just about anything based on this write up. Some pictures would certainly help...

JD

8. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

1 of 100? Sounds like a Commemorative. But with a serial # in the 16,000 range it can't be 1 of 100 unless an older original receiver was used in the manufacture...post some pics please..

9. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Well JD, I'd say if there's a ? on it, it probably came from the Riddler family......... :D

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

A 16,000ish serial number on a Springfield Armory M1A would place it in about 1981 manufacture.

If it is a "1 of 100" it should also have the event being commemorated stamped or embossed somewhere on the rifle. Pics would be nice.

11. Lerenis

Lerenis New Member

I will try and post up some picture's on this M1A. The 1 of 100 is stamped into the metal just above where the hole in the stock would be for the selector switch. No selector switch there, not legal. I'm starting to think it is just number one in a group of one hundred made during a run. No commemorative markings on it.

12. Lerenis

Lerenis New Member

First bayonet is a WWII German one, has little eagle profiles over swatika stamped into it. These are really little. The frog is useable as well. Looks like someone at one time tried to dip the blade into some metal to make it shine. All they did was screrw it up so now it is only a curio thing. The other bayonet is an M-6 and this on fits onto the M1A. Just says M-6 Made in West Germany.

13. marysdad

marysdad Member

The M6 bayonet is rather unusual and was probably made by Carl Eickhorn in the 1970s or 1980s. A couple of questions regarding the M6: Are there any markings on the blade? Is the grip secured by slotted screws or phillips-head screws?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  14. Lerenis

Lerenis New Member

The grip is secured by phillips-head screws. Blade guard stamped USM6. No other markings on the blade. Upper metal part on sheath stamped: U.S. M8A1 Made in W.-Germany.

I took pictures of the M1A but having problem figuring out how to attach them. Never did that before. Will work on it.

15. marysdad

marysdad Member

Eickhorn did a production run of the M6 for Haiti, during the time your example was produced. The Hatian bayonets had large numbers on the blade, itself. Yours must be one that was sold commercially. I have an Eickhorn M7 of the same vintage as your M6, and another Eickhorn M7 that pre-dates your bayonet. Commercial M6 bayonets are not nearly as common as M5 or M7 types. Nice bayonet!

16. Lerenis

Lerenis New Member

Here are a few pictures of the M1A and the unusual side stamp on it. The only information Springfield Armory could give me was that the receiver was dated 1/19/81. No other answers in their system and not in their electronic files, they found this date in their paper records. I pulled the trigger assembly and is stamped TRW, barrell is Winchester. Marysdad, here is a shot of the bayonet and thanks for the information on it.

Attached Files:

17. Lerenis

Lerenis New Member

Here is another picture with the 1 of 100 stamp on the receiver. Sorry about all this hassle with the pictures.

Attached Files:

18. Lerenis

Lerenis New Member

I don't know why I can't post all four pictures together but here is another one of the whole rifle.

Attached Files:

19. Lerenis

Lerenis New Member

Here is the one on the bayonet. Hope you can make out anything else on the both the rifle and bayonet. Thanks Marysdad for the information on the blade.

Attached Files:

20. marysdad

marysdad Member

The bayonet and scabbard are both definitely Carl Eickhorn produced. The plum-colored blade is characteristic of their commercial bayonets. The scabbard's lack of a metal tip protector and the oversize hole for the leg tie are diagnostic of Eickhorn. These were very well-made bayonets.