I hate public land!

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by lonewolf101, Nov 19, 2011.

1. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

Went out today for Wis.deer hunting and after I set up my deer blind about an hour later a group of guys walk by with dogs well one of the dog started barking and and almost knocked down my blind! - and other were walking by the field 200 yard out! in the field I was hunting even if there were deer there they wouldnt be after that! people just dont have any RESPECT its all about them and their deer forget you..:mad:

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I sympathize. But in their defense, maybe you were just well hidden? They might would have acted differently if they knew you were there, although letting them know would kind of defeat the original purpose.

3. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

yeah I was - that not the first time owell I'l try another spot tomorrow.

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Too many morons on public land surrounded by large population centers. Imagine what it would be like if the SHTF!

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Finding the right area is key. This will be the first year I'll be hunting in about 10 years or so. The area I'm going is down near Starkville MS and MSU. Pretty sparsely populated, but the population swells during hunting season from out of towners coming in to hunt.

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I do not know how big of an area you are hunting in regarding public land? But one thing I normally did if the area was very big, was to go fairly far back into the area to hunt. Honestly the novice hunter will not go too far back into the woods and usually will always stay within the first 1/2 mile of the property. One might refer to them as lazy hunters but it is a fact. I would go back into the area a minimum of a mile and sometimes more to set up and hunt. This eliminated 95% of the problem. And I seen very few people that were the occasional weekend hunter who had no woods-craft and were noisy. Less chance of getting shot also!!! 03

7. fmj

fmj Active Member

I would say you had a pretty good experience........the last time i was out hunting public land i might as well have been in Afganistan..there would have been less lead flying around me!

8. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

Short story back in 05 I forgot it was deer season so I went out still hunting squrriels well I guess this deer hunter didnt like it so he fired just at the tree breanches covered with light snow! well it all came down on me!!!

As far as what you told me Sniper03 that area not that big! few fields there and that were all the traffic is! the rest woods - but I know a place that big and spread out I'l try there its a shorter drive for me!.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I know the feeling. I quit hunting because I did not have access to private land and the public land was too dangerous. The last time out I got shot at twice and had to duck behind a tree. I was really getting tempted to shoot back so I stopped hunting. One idiot shot his own horse and it was wearing a blaze orange saddle blanket. Some of the "hunters" were so drunk they could barely walk.

10. TimKS

TimKS Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Sometime those 'other guys' can stir deer around on public land so you might get a shot too. Public land is 'public', so if I'm hunting there, I have to put up with whoever shows up....just pick a spot where you'd expect spooked deer to go and be ready.

11. fmj

fmj Active Member

Yep, waiting in line in the morning to check in you could smell the whiskey on the hill jacks....a group bragging loud and proud about how they had been up all night and "killed that bottle dead"..staggering around with 12 guage shotguns loaded with slugs...if i cant find private ground i will be quiting hunting!

Actually i have property in the UP of MI. But being a non resident my tags are $138+....then add in the gas for the 500 mile, 1 way, trip. Gets expensive for the chance at a buck only, gamey tasting deer. Then toss in trying to start a youngin' and living a week or two in a tent in Mid Nov. In Northern MI.......:(

12. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I've hunted public land in several states and other than a very few "bad" days it was good hunting. I think its great that we all have the public land to hunt on. I must admit that I've never hunted in the eastern US.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

your braver than to set out on publice land during wisconsin gun season!! the season is only 9 days so the nuts round here shoot at the slightest leaf quivering in the breeze. the rule is shoot it and hope its not a person...

if they decreased the number of deer tags and increased the length of the season it would be a LOT safer.

there wouldnt be that pressure to shoot first and confirm the target later

14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Yeah, that would worry me. The ones who are there to party AND hunt. when I had a horse, I never rode her during the hunting season.

15. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I had some co-workers that went on a hunt, never talked about the hunt more of the beer they drank at the campsite.

16. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Yea! Bambi lives another day! :D

17. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

so...you can have dogs while deer hunting in Wisconsin?

18. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

I dont think so the people with the dogs were hunting phesants.Now you can use dogs for tracking bear here.

19. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

I emiled the DNR here about the short 9 day gun season to change to it to something like what Michigan has when I lived there it was 14 days I think.

But the DNR in Wis. thinks its fair on the 9 days she told me in the email you have three day in Oct.to hunt in the CWD area 13-16 then again Dec.8 - 11
    thats their reasoning on the matter.

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

It doesnt make any sense. Most states control the hunt through the ammount of tags issued not really through the time of the hunt.

I would suggest contacting your state senator or rep. Explain how dangerous the short season is and hiw its better on an economic level for the state to have a longer season and control theharvest by thetags issued.

Contacting the dnr for anything is about as useless as contacting eric holder and asking him to stop selling guns to criminals...