I Got Checked by the Coast Guard Today

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by winch, Jul 15, 2011.

1. winch

winch New Member

Me and Ms. Winch were anchored out on the Chesapeake Bay fishing. We see one of those orange Coast Guard poontoon boats approaching and there are 4 on board, each with side arms. They pull up and tell me they are gonna board my boat and do a safety check...and......DO I HAVE ANY WEAPONS???

Well, not yet, but I'm gonna get a 870 Marine Magnum.

Anyway, it's too rough for them to tie up and board so they ask me who is the Captain, I say "me". So we go through the drill and I'm good except I can't find my Type 4 Throwable.....I did find it after about 10 minutes. They write me up with a warning and tell me have a nice day do I have any questions.

Well, I say yeah, what's up with the weapons question? Are guns illegal on a boat?

They say that they just wanna know, and as long as the weapons are are "legal" then no problem.

I asked specifically about handguns, and they said as long as the paperwork is in order no problem.

I'm thinking they gave me bad scoop. I bet if I had a handgun on board there would be a world of problems.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Afraid my response would have been "Why? I thought you guys had your own. Budget cutbacks again?" :p

Have a good friend that was a career Coastie, and I never miss a chance to give him a load of crap-

"Is it true that Semper Paratus is Latin for 'Stay in shallow water' ?"

3. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

Dems fightin words C3:D

The reason for the question is officer safety They are Federal Law Enforcement Officers and just as street cops ask the question they want to know if there are any firearms on board for their safety. They may take possesion while doing their Safety check and return it when they finish. No conspiracy.

Was it one of these, my wife is in the back window

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Interesting scenario...who has jurisdiction? Are coastal waters under state, local or federal control? Do maratime laws trump local laws. I have always interpreted the "fields and waters" clause of most states gun laws as permitting possession of guns while aboard a boat. Is this incorrect?

5. FatPat

FatPat New Member

Er. No idea if this has been hashed out here already as it has been on my home board, and I don't know your State's requirements, but "for officer safety" is not a good enough excuse to violate my rights.

I may have to swallow it at that time - obviously, I'm not going to resist - but the officer's agency will be hearing from me shortly thereafter.

6. WDB

WDB New Member

The info given by the coastie is corect as far as my personal expereince goes. Last year I was out on Pudget Sound salmon fishing on a buddies boat and was board by the Coast Guard. They asked the same question and my buddy said nope, I corrected him with a yes. After a few seconds of puzzlement they asked where the firearm was, I told them on my person. They boarded, asked to see my CPL, inspected the boat and left.

7. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

Coast Guard has jurisdiction in the ocean, on Rivers that you can navigate from the ocean and lakes that have state borders going through them ie Lahe Tahoe between CA & NV

8. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

I was boarded many times. They ask the question for their own saftey. They just want to know what to expect.
    I was never treated with anything but respect by the C.G.

9. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

They ask it because they are more proactive and smarter than the bonehead in the video that has created so much buzz elsewhere on this forum.

10. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

How do you believe that they'd be violating your rights by asking this? The USCG has every legal right to board any vessel in their jurisdiction to conduct a safety check. They certainly are not violating anyone's constitutional rights by asking if there are any weapons on board before boarding. It's no different that a LEO asking if there are any weapons inside the vehicle during a traffic stop. It is perfectly reasonable.

11. orangello

orangello New Member

You sooooooo needed a fake hook hand, like Captain Hook. Arrrrh, i be the Captain matey and this be my booger hook. :D

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I'm still trying to figure out how asking a question or securing a firearm during a search is violating your rights.

13. Jared

Jared New Member

Same reason some believe telling a LEO your name is violating your rights, or telling someone to shut up is infringing on their 1A rights. There is a lot of people who do not understand the concept of rights and are so paranoid they think every one in authority is going to trample on their rights. They need to read less soldier of fortune and instead read a book on constitutional law.

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Excuse me? You are very mistaken about your "rights". An officer who has lawfully detained you (for a traffic stop or water craft inspection) has every right to ask you if you are armed, disarm you for the duration of the detention and return the firearm to you at the close of the contact.

You are perhaps confusing this with Terry V Ohio that says an officer may not frisk you for weapons unless he/she has a reasonable suspicion that you may be armed and are likely to use the weapon against the officer.

Asking and touching are two very different animals. Step away from the Sovereign Citizen cool-aid.

Feel free to contact the officer's agency after the stop, but do not expect much except a lecture about how wrong your perception of your rights is.

15. FatPat

FatPat New Member

Perhaps in Texas that is the case. Not here in GA.

16. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

Sorry, but you'll have to cite a statute or case law to back your belief.

I've been stopped before while driving through Georgia and was asked if I had any weapons or drugs in my car. I've seen dozens of dash videos of Georgia Highway Patrol Officers making traffic stops on I-75 during training seminars and every single one of them asked the driver if there were any drugs or weapons in the vehicle. That was over 10 years ago.

If the Georgia Legislature has passed a law which makes it illegal for a LEO to ask the driver/operator of a vehicle or vessel if there are any drugs or weapons in the vehicle/vessel please post it for us. Even if they have, it would not apply to federal LEOs like the USCG or any other federal LEO.

17. FatPat

FatPat New Member

A police officer can ask anything he or she wishes. I was specifically replying to the assertion that an officer may sieze my legally carried weapon during a traffic stop without being able to articulate that I am not simply armed, but armed and dangerous.

18. Twoglocks

Twoglocks New Member

What happened with "shall inform LEO of having concealed weapon at the beginning of the contact" most jurisdictions require it anyway

19. FatPat

FatPat New Member

In Georgia, there is no requirement to inform.

20. WDB

WDB New Member

Where I live there is no requirement to inform either but I do it anyway. Why not be open and honest and if for some reason you asked to get out of your car and your pistol is exposed it ramps up the stress level of the LEO. With over twenty years of CC it has severed me well to inform the LEO and expect it has gotten me out of a few tickets. Only once was I asked to surrender my firearm for officer safety. We were in a rurual area and I didn't have an issue with the LEO holding my firearm why he ran my info. When he came back to the car he handed me my pistol, the mag and the +1 round. He asked I wait to reload until he went back to his partol car. The officer started to explain why he did what he did and I told him it's not a big deal I understand.

I didn't feel I was being oppressed by the "Man", it was as simple as a LEO alone in a remote area taking what he believed to be safety measure. IMHO LEO's have a tough job most can't or wouldn't do, so when pulled over the best thing I can do is to make the event and mutually simple as possible.