i got a question

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by Ultimate_sig, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I paid a respected person of a buisness for a rifle and i have a chl...is it necessary to do a fbi background check. The only reason i ask is that his little FBI systwm dwnied me saying that someone has a similar name which i find odd considering my name is not so common. I have a clean record and no pending charges...hell if i did how would i have gotten a chl. It really bugs me cause i had it in my hands and was gunna go shot but now i gotta wait till the middle of next week and have no spare time till the following week and ive already waited 2 months for it

2. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

what state? are private sales legal? didju give your SSN? (that helps clear up the "this is me, is that you")

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

In SOME states, a concealed weapons license substitutes for the background check- in others, it does not.

The Dealer (assuming it was a dealer, since a private seller cannot run a background check) is- like you- at the mercies of the system. He must rely on what he gets back- and he will not know why you were delayed- or denied. All he gets is one of 3 responses- approved, delayed, denied.

Not that it will make you feel any better, but several years ago the Police Chief of Denver CO was delayed on a personal purchase of a firearm. Here in Virginia, friend that is a dealer was selling to a State Police Lt, and the Lt was delayed.

4. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Actually that does feel better, for a seco.d i was feeling bamboozled

5. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Yes, and its tx

6. FFL01user

FFL01user New Member

The FBI check (NICS) is required. You say you were dwnied(sic) because someone has a similar name. Where did you get this idea from? As stated above the dealer gets back one of three responses from the NICS system. Either proceed, delayed, or denied. The dealer gets no reason as to why someone may be delayed or denied, so why do you sayit's because of a similar name?
    Again, you say you were dwnied(sic). What is waiting until the middle of next week going to do? You were denied, period.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Most states have a website explaining why someone may get delayed or denied.

I've had one instance where an individual was delayed (even with the CWP). If your application was delayed, then normally there is a waiting period of 3 days.

8. FFL01user

FFL01user New Member

A website that gives reasons why a delay/denial might occur, yes. I've never heard of a website in any state, certainly not here in NY, that gives delay and/or denial reasons for a specific transaction. The FFL does not have access to that information. The option here is to provide the purchaser with the NTN and they can appeal through the NICS section.
    I've seen many delays, they happen. I've never had one that continued through the three business day wait though.

9. cuate

cuate New Member

Texas CHL licensees may purchase a firearm without the online checkup and only must fill out that Fed Form. Obviously the very background check required for a CHL is sufficient to met the Fed's requirement.

10. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

No delayed im sorry, i have the app and big fingers. And the guy said it was cause either a similar name or same dob

11. FFL01user

FFL01user New Member

OK... Big difference between delayed and denied. As much as delays suck, they do happen. Did you provide your SSN on the 4473 form? This would've/should've eliminated any name and /or DOB confusion. There is no way for an FFL to know the real reason for the delay that may occur on a particular transaction. They can guess and/or assume all they want but the FFL does not have access to this information (same goes for a denial). I've had times where the delay had nothing to do with the purchaser but was due to the FBI system either backlogged or just being "buggy" (I always use E-Check versus calling in). I once got a delay on a regular customer, a guy with the best credentials (ex LEO, ex military, does govt. work in South Asia, concealed carry holder, you name it). I was real surprised to get a delayed response as I'd run his name many times before without a problem. I called the NICS section to see what the heck. The lady had me boot my laptop and re-establish a connection with E-Check. Once I did that and retrieved the transaction information it was immediately green for proceed. Go figure...

P.S. - Your FFL should be checking the system periodically throughout the day. The system can update and change your status to "proceed" at any time and you're good to go, but only if the FFL looks for it.
    It appears you were trying to do this transaction this past weekend. If so, and no other information is received from NICS in the meantime, the FFL is allowed, at his or her discretion, to proceed with the transaction after three business days have passed.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  12. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Yea i gave my ssn, and he guessed. Who can i call to get the ball rolling cause i dnt want to ve confused with joe "the cinvicted felon" blow

13. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

And i think he used echeck

14. abigguy

abigguy New Member

The few times that I have bought a firearm....I just showed them my chl ( same state only) and walked out with the gun in hand

15. FFL01user

FFL01user New Member

It's in the hands of the FFL who you were doing the transaction with. You're reliant on him/her to diligently check the system (some FFL's won't even bother and will just wait the three days then check). It's possible you're good to go right now but if the FFL doesn't check there's no way to know. Do you know what the NTN is? Don't post it here! If I was correct in that the transaction in question was done this past weekend, and the FFL hears nothing in the meantime, he/she may, at their discretion, proceed with the transaction this Thursday.
    If you will be doing future transactions and think you'll get delayed like this again you can apply for a UPIN (unique personal identification number). Once you apply for and receive a UPIN it allows the NICS section to retain certain information that would otherwise be destroyed after a NICS check. Essentially you fill out an appeals package, information on you is retained, and you are issued a UPIN that in the future you would include on the 4473 you fill out. This UPIN defines you as being YOU, not EWE. Some info. can be found here:
    http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2004/12/121504-openletter-ffl-fbi-nics.pdf

16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

My response was not intended to indicate why a specific person was delayed, just generic answers why someone could be denied. Sorry if it created confusion.

17. FFL01user

FFL01user New Member

Not at all... Just wanted to make sure we were all clear on what information is and is not available to an FFL.

18. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Well turns out it was a glit,h in the system so im gtg.

ForumRunner_20120919_005315.jpg

ForumRunner_20120919_005330.jpg
    Its a yhm with the diamond flutted barrel, rra national match trigger, houge grip, spikes nickel boron bolt and carrier, ctr butt, troy battle rail, magpul trigger guard, extended tac latch, and i got yhm qds irons and an aimpoint pro, ordered my larue cantilever mount for my aimpoint havent got it yet but my set up is pretty sick

19. Rarity

Rarity New Member

Nice rifle there, enjoy.. :)
    It's a good thing that you have gotten everything fixed.

20. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Thanks man cant wait to shoot it