I got a question?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by ANAKINANAYA, Oct 19, 2010.

1. ANAKINANAYA

ANAKINANAYA New Member

I changed out the barrel on my savage rifle from a 270 to 308. I noticed that the primers were pushed in and the accuracy is off every 3 rounds i shoot one is about 2-3 inches to the right. Could this be because i need to move the head spacing or something else. I had been shooting some 308 win and noticed that the bolt closes hard. I shoot 762 x 51 and have no problem it closes nice and easy. I did a full resize on all the brass but i can't figure it out i had been shooting 308 win cases and they worked fine only that 3rd round flyer. Please help!

2. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

It could be 1 of a few things. Is the shots (fliers) spaced vertically or horizontally? It could be you're letting the barrel warm up too much by firing too quick. Or it could be the bedding. Do you have the barrel free floated or does it have some upward pressure at the forend tip? Some barrels shoot better one way or the other. Also perhaps you need to fine tune your load? Are you trimming your brass properly? Neck turning it for uniform neck/bullet tension?

3. ANAKINANAYA

ANAKINANAYA New Member

Yes im going by the book on the resizing and i shoot three rounds under a min, why do you think the primers get pushed out? AND THE FLIER IS ALAWAYS about 1 inch right and 1 inch up

4. stalkingbear

The primers could get pushed out due to a slight headspacing issue or the loads being slightly hot. If your loads ain't hot, check the headspace. Experiment with barrel bedding pressure on the issue of the flyer. Also try spacing your shots out to perhaps even 1 shot every 3-5 minutes and see what that does.

5. ANAKINANAYA

ANAKINANAYA New Member

thanks for the help stocking bear, i will try that thats a cool avatar great pic

6. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I had the same problem with a new Stevens .308. Just the flyer part. Not only the 3rd shot but all subsequent shots. The gun has the sporting barrel and does heat up fast. The first 2 shots are one hole and after that they string. After running a couple hundred rounds it has improved quite a bit but if I slow way down it groups sub MOA. It is a great hunting rifle, 1 shot 1 kill. All shots in a 10 shot group would be a kill shot but I don't intend to shoot more than 1 at a time hunting. The gun does exactly what it is intended to do.

As for the primers pushing out, are you sure you are using proper (berdan, boxer) primer for the casings you reload?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  7. ANAKINANAYA

ANAKINANAYA New Member

figured it out my resizing die was set right and i tried the tech of shooting one every 2 mins and had no flyers
    will post pic later

8. stalkingbear

Glad you figured it out! I knew it had to be something simple.

9. TexasPatriot

TexasPatriot New Member

I was gonna say...if the defect is consistent...it is due to barrel heat. The barrel is warping to the same spot after the given number of rounds.