I found one of the guys who is causing the problem!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by 70cuda383, Mar 11, 2013.

1. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

was talking to a guy I know this weekend. he's a "wheeler and dealer" from car parts to gun stuff. not an FFL though.

I heard him mention to a "newbie" that he suggested 5 magazines per gun, and 30k rounds of ammo, per gun as your "standard" home storage set-up.

30k rounds?! really?

maybe that's why there's no ammo in the stores...guys out there telling new owners they need to rush out and stock up on 30,000 rounds of ammo to store in their basement.:eek:

2. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

30k rounds....thats totally unrealistic. You'd need a full size pickup just to haul your ammo. You can forget being mobile what that much ammo.

Hell i got 300 rounds of 7.62x54R in a .50 cal ammo can and i wouldnt want to carry i too far.

3. davva360

davva360 New Member

30,000 is a heck of a lot. I think a more reasonable amount is 1000 rounds per gun, meaning if you have 2 guns that use the same caliber you should have 2000 rounds of it.

Right now I wish I had more than I do, I had been slowly stocking up over the last year but I also like to shoot it so I am short of my 1000 round target per gun at the moment.

4. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Yea me too, for the last year or so ive been buying a box or two week. Sometimes ill buy bulk if i run across someone who is selling because they sold the gun that shoots it. Case in point, a friend of my fil is selling me 800 rds of 7.62x39 for 200 bucks cause he sold his AK.

5. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

that's my thought process as well. 1,000 rounds per caliber. if SHTF, I have the ability to carry a couple hundred on my person of primary and about 100 rounds of handgun.

In my opinion, that's more than enough for your average gunfight. I can resupply later, either from my "home station" or by looting bodies of the dead.

if SHTF I do NOT want to make a Waco stand in my home. We all know how that worked out for them. I want to be light, mobile, and have a small logistical footprint. I'm headed to the woods, and plan to live off the land, and avoid as many people as possible, NOT go walking the streets of the cities looking for a fight. (that's assuming some type of economical collapse. if we go martial law and have another revolution...that's a different story)

but this guy was also trying to sell the "green tip" ammo at .80 per round, claiming that it's the only thing that'll punch through the armor that homeland security is going to be wearing when they come to your door.

he gave me a funny look when I said "I have a 3/8" plate of steel out in the garage that I punched holes in like it was paper, using standard lead core, copper jacket ammo, even my hollow point hunting rounds were punching through it like it was nothing"

To my buddy that I'm talking about...if you happen to be on this forum...I love ya man, but I think your position was just a little off the mark! haha.

6. rurak

rurak New Member

1000 rds per caliber except .22. U can nevrr have enough .22

7. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

There's no ammo because the government just placed a few billion dollars worth of ammo order. They take priority over civilian sales.

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I don`t have that many, maybe a 3rd of that, but I do have enough stuff to make that many, & yes a 1000 rds. or so sounds about right. Some of my guns I don`t have any ammo for, some I may only have 50 or 100 rds for, but yes a 1000 rds. per gun sounds about right. On the other hand I am that guy that if there is 10 boxes on the shelf, I buy em all, if I can.............

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

30,000 rds per gun? WHAT AN IDIOT!

For 5.56, at recent prices, that is on the order of $25,000-$30,000 for AMMO.

I have a Winchester 71 in .348. I doubt I will shoot 100 rounds of THAT the rest of my life. But at $75 a box, 30K rds of that would be $112,500. I have a few oddballs in .32 S&W and .38 S&W that I MIGHT have 100-150 rounds.

Someone should take a desktop calculator and beat some sense into him!

10. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

.500 S&W magnums are like $3.50 a round. So far I have purchased ONE box of twenty. I am way, way behind on that 30K minimum. But it would only take a second.... A second mortgage!

11. orangello

orangello New Member

Back in the mid 1990's when i took a job at the Tax Commission, the cool old guy who met me at the main office and directed me through processing (badge, ID, etc.) handed me a 10 key adding machine as i was about to leave. I looked at it and at the laptop computer in its huge case and back at him rather confused; he said that he didn't know if we still used them for anything, but i should take one anyway. Thing never saw its first EOY inventory; i passed it off to somebody who couldn't use a spreadsheet as well as a 10 key.

Mine is the only desk in my current office without a 10 key calculator. My father on the other hand still has a computator on his side table for looks and no computer in his office.

12. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Is a computator the one with a column of numbers for each digit and a hand crank?

13. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

A .40 cal round weighs on average 253 gr with a 180 gr bullet. 28 rounds weighs approximenty 1 lb. and a surplus ammo can will hold 1,000 rounds or 38.7 lbs of ammo. I do also know that the combined weight of 32,000 rounds of handgun and rifle ammo plus the weight of the ammo cans and pallet weighs in excess of 1455 lbs. :)

14. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

30K rounds per gun...:eek:

Don't have anywhere near that amount... but I DO have enough to GUARANTEE that I'm more trouble than I'm worth! :D

Tack

15. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Wow, did you transcribe this!? LOL

Some adult language...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPGZ_RLz3zM&list=PLFE4B8FD812E0DBF3[/ame]

16. orangello

orangello New Member

Cool vid but the characters switched at one point: "i want a bug out bag" went from piggie to bunny and vice versa.

Yup, though some were electrically cranked; they were mechanical calculators.

On the ammo & mags: I aim for 1000 rounds for each firearm, but i am short on some. There are ten or twelve mags loaded with my two primary HD/SHTF pistols and at least three loaded mags for the rest of the semiauto pistols. I only have a half dozen loaded for the SKS, but i feel safe knowing it is bayonet-equipped. (i can't get the bunny's voice out of my head, oh dear)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  17. trip286

trip286 New Member

I would have to hope he misspoke, and meant 3K. I only say this because 5 mags is perfectly reasonable (I would prefer 10), so why THIRTY THOUSAND rounds?

18. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

And if he paid $0.25 per rnd, is he an idiot?

I must look pretty stupid!

19. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

And doesn't it also depend somewhat on how many guns he has, and what caliber maybe even?

If he has just one 5.56, and a few spare parts, is 30,000 rounds "too many"? What if he's Class 3? What if he has one really good .22 LR -- is six cases too many!?

I do think that there are diminishing returns as the number of guns goes up...

20. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Maybe his bug out vehicle is a deuce and a half. :p